List Mgmt. McDonough and Arnot delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets cut to the chase here dudes...from all the delistings over Dimma's stretch, who have the tigers delisted and have gone onto to bigger and better things? like yeah Nahas, thats 1 just,...waiting for the others on that list.
Fair call,then this is an indictment on our recruiters and FD if we are getting kids and cannot take them to the next step.
This fat body rubbish is also a popular joke about Reece, but nobody appears to be doing anything about it.
Agree its also player attitude also,so if guys don't get to the right level by lack of effort or application ,then move them on.
still think he was one of our bests in the vfl with mcbean as some hope.

Lets cut to the chase here dudes...from all the delistings over Dimma's stretch, who have the tigers delisted and have gone onto to bigger and better things? like yeah Nahas, thats 1 just,...waiting for the others on that list.

Mitch Morton. BOOM! :D

Maybe he didn't do anything at AFL level because he was recruited and dominated junior games as a forward, consistently performed in the 2's as mid/fwd. Was elevated for a handful of games (never continually to gain confidence) as the sub or off the back flank while we stuck with Morris and Newman forward. Hopeless development.

If he's a forward and been playing in defence - that still doesnt explain why he hasn't shown anything.
I'm not talking about VFL. The difference between VFL and the AFL is very significant.
I do agree that we could have given him a bit more of an opportunity, but it would have cost us more games and most likely for no development in him.

Angus Graham just kicked 7 in a Grand Final....and has more premierships than our list combined.....

If he's a forward and been playing in defence - that still doesnt explain why he hasn't shown anything.
I'm not talking about VFL. The difference between VFL and the AFL is very significant.
I do agree that we could have given him a bit more of an opportunity, but it would have cost us more games and most likely for no development in him.

if you can cut the mustard you will show up wherever you play, especially when you are a mid sized player...all I know is whenever he got a call up, irrespective of where he played or how long he played for, he was more often than not nowhere and invisible...if you dont take your chances, or at least take a chance from those that were afforded to you, then you dont cut the mustard in my book.
FFS, how many players have shown up at VFL level over the years and have ended up in suburbia? Like a few here think that all our draft picks are going to make it, as long as we give them a chance...he got more chances than alot before him and didnt take them. The end

If anyone was at the Freo game and had the opportunity to listen to Mark Williams before the game would not be surprised by McDonough's delisting, it was obvious the Chocco felt he was lacking in more than one area, nothing to do with ability.

This is Dimma's quote from after the last pre season game last year when McDonough was looking good.

“Matt’s got unbelievable skills,” said Richmond’s coach Damien Hardwick.

“He came here as a half-forward/full-forward type, but we tend to play those guys down back, and he’s made that position his own.

“At VFL level, he’s been a dominant player, so we hope that he can take the step this year, which frees up a Bachar Houli, Dustin Martin – those types – to rotate through . . .”

He then had an average game against Gold Coast (as did probably 18 other blokes that day) and was the only player dropped. Since then was only ever given bits and pieces despite his solid form in the VFL. Not surprising he struggled with confidence in the seniors and poor development on our behalf IMO.

Yeah, but I've never heard a coach say 'He's struggling with AFL level training. We don't think he's going to make it. We'll give him a couple of chances in case he may be a useful fill-in like King or Nahas, but he's battling, We have to have a few guys like this because we don't have an unlimited salary cap, so we can't have 20+ No 1 draft picks or Brownlow medallists. We have to dig through a lot of average players, hoping to find a nugget or two'.

Even if that's what they think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't get why these changes were made. I understand I'm on the outside of the club so there may be issues that I don't know about but I think that at the very least they were quality depth players. Disappointed to see them out the door

Sent from my iPhone
That's the point, they weren't quality depth players.

Sorry guys, intruder posting I know but...

Delisting McDonough just stinks, seems a bit of a Recent Richmond thing to invest a little into kids and dump them away if they don't go on to be stars, yet draft/trade in bit part players from other clubs with little upside!

McDonough would be ?22, just seems like you're jumping the gun throwing away a kid you have invested 2/3 years in who looks like a GOOD VFL player. Depth wins flags and in two years anything could be a possibility.

He won't get picked up again and won't hurt you guys, but if he was to come on he would certainly Help you. With all the retirements already this year you possibly could have kept him on a one year contract? If he WASN'T on your list posting the State league numbers he has been, would you guys look at him like you have previously with state level players, McIntosh?

Ideally trade Griffiths (a Number 3 or 4 Key forward not getting much chance) to a club with some Number 3 or 4 Ruckman not getting a chance.

I would love Big Ben at Port Adelaide TOMORROW!

Mason Shaw and Andrew Moore for Ben Griffiths?

Disappointed we have cut McDonough. He was a talented player and it's a poor reflection on the club that we didn't get a career out of him. I worry similar things will happen to other talented players like Astbury and McBean.

Astbury may have talent but he is an injury nightmare..
I was pissed off the club re-signed him for 2 years. won't be sad if he gets traded..
41 games in 6 seasons.
17 games in 2010 *first year*
could only match that tally over the last 3 seasons.
5 games 2013
8 games 2014
4 games 2015

Wasted development I reckon

I reckon 1 or 2 changes on the Senior List are likely but the club will wait until trade period is completed. Madonna was unlucky but there must be valid reason why he was delisted. Probably others just as deserving for the chop, i.e. "Nipper"

LOL Gary Lyon for suggesting Todd Elton for the chop when he has re-signed recently:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-09-16/which-tiger-cost-his-team-a-top-four-spot

I would love Big Ben at Port Adelaide TOMORROW!

Mason Shaw and Andrew Moore for Ben Griffiths?
I'd hope not - Moore is a battling mid/half-forward - every side has half-a-dozen of those on their list. Keep churning them over, hoping to find the gun (ie someone not like Moore). Shaw is too small. You have to be AT LEAST 200+ cms these days to be a ruck (unless you have a leap like NicNat - and he's still 201).

Not sure about McDonough delisting given the 5 other spots vacated. Maybe we are looking to bring back as rookie? Also this draft I keep getting told isn't deep so may have couple of premium players to bring in up our sleeve already?

Ideally trade Griffiths (a Number 3 or 4 Key forward not getting much chance) to a club with some Number 3 or 4 Ruckman not getting a chance.
Would have to get a lot better than that. Also we have a number 3 or 4 ruckmen already on our list....as our no.2

Sorry guys, intruder posting I know but...

Delisting McDonough just stinks, seems a bit of a Recent Richmond thing to invest a little into kids and dump them away if they don't go on to be stars, yet draft/trade in bit part players from other clubs with little upside!

McDonough would be ?22, just seems like you're jumping the gun throwing away a kid you have invested 2/3 years in who looks like a GOOD VFL player. Depth wins flags and in two years anything could be a possibility.

He won't get picked up again and won't hurt you guys, but if he was to come on he would certainly Help you. With all the retirements already this year you possibly could have kept him on a one year contract? If he WASN'T on your list posting the State league numbers he has been, would you guys look at him like you have previously with state level players, McIntosh?
Personal friend of yours?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. McDonough and Arnot delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back