McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I love that we saw something in McGovern and just picked him.

Backed our instincts in.

Didn't wait until he'd dominated at SANFL level and proven himself. He did little in the few SANFL games he played last season apart from some impressive glimpses. None of this "he'll get games when he's ready" shit.

Bold, prescient, instinctive selection. Long may it continue.
There's been just criticism of selectors for a long time for not blooding talented youngsters early enough so it's good to be able to give them some credit in selecting both McGovern and Milera for round 1 and beyond. Milera was more of a given but McGovern has simply been backed in and it looks like a good call so far.

Looks like he could be that x-factor player that always destroyed us like Embley.

Difficult match up already

Feckin Embley:mad:

Yes you're exactly right but why did you have to mention feckin Embley??

Geez I used to hate what he would do to us. Every. Feckin. Time.

Feckin feckin feck feck feck Embley:mad:

Apparently I still do

I love that we saw something in McGovern and just picked him.

Backed our instincts in.

Didn't wait until he'd dominated at SANFL level and proven himself. He did little in the few SANFL games he played last season apart from some impressive glimpses. None of this "he'll get games when he's ready" shit.

Bold, prescient, instinctive selection. Long may it continue.

ObyZE_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

I'm a bit worried with his set shot but hopefully that's just a confidence type thing. The rest of his game appears to be very good. Certainly a very dynamic player and has a fair bit of mongrel about him. Wouldn't want to sacrifice his aerial ability to bring in Cameron given he's extremely quick himself. Makes the other team more accountable.

I'm a bit worried with his set shot but hopefully that's just a confidence type thing. The rest of his game appears to be very good. Certainly a very dynamic player and has a fair bit of mongrel about him. Wouldn't want to sacrifice his aerial ability to bring in Cameron given he's extremely quick himself. Makes the other team more accountable.

Speed
Marking
Foot skills
Tackling
Run and carry
Spread
Short kicks

What is this team coming to??:eek:

Looks like he could be that x-factor player that always destroyed us like Embley.

Difficult match up already
Maybe I am in the minority here but I wouldn't mind trying this kid fit enough and running him through the midfield. COuld cause some serious damage.

Feckin Embley:mad:

Yes you're exactly right but why did you have to mention feckin Embley??

Geez I used to hate what he would do to us. Every. Feckin. Time.

Feckin feckin feck feck feck Embley:mad:

Apparently I still do
Just don't mention darren bewick!!

I was thinking the same thing. Could be that tall marking midfielder Wayne's-World has been after ;)
Great minds......! :D

Seriously, 191 cm, pace, aggression, great hands in close and fantastic contested mark. If we can develop this kid into a midfielder, he becomes a match up nightmare in there. Then when you rest him forward, the opponents have no hope.

Might be worth considering. Fyfe was drafted as a HFF as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, 191 cm, pace, aggression, great hands in close and fantastic contested mark. If we can develop this kid into a midfielder, he becomes a match up nightmare in there. Then when you rest him forward, the opponents have no hope.

Stuff it, let's email Fages!

But yeah I reckon he's dynamic enough. He might need to build some more strength first but has all the tools. Dual sided too !

:eek:
I like:thumbsu:

Before the season started, I was sprouting to my mates that McGovern was going to develop into an absolute gun player, although I thought that to pick him now was doing that ahead of his time, and that we'd see him in our best 22 next year.

How wrong was I with that last part. He'll play plenty of games this year. He presents a unique package of skills in that forward line for a player who is allegedly playing the role of a defensive forward given his height etc. He presents a very difficult match-up for the opposition.

There's no way I'd drop him at the moment to allow Charlie Cameron to come in, as much as I love Charlie Cameron.

Cameron must come in eventually IMO if his form justifies, but unless McGovern weakens as the season goes on, it won't be in his place.

Stuff it, let's email Fages!

But yeah I reckon he's dynamic enough. He might need to build some more strength first but has all the tools. Dual sided too !

In the trade thread people are discussing not having a good enough midfield and we should address that over chasing someone like Hurley.

I disagree, I reckon we still have plenty of talent that we can roll through our midfield, and McGovern is one of them.

Obviously not this year. Continue playing him forward and let him build his fitness and strength. But with players like McGovern, Menzel, Doedee and Charlie too, I don't think we are that short on talent to be completely honest.

Versatility is key. Whenever one of these guys isn't playing midfield they will be able to be damaging in other areas of the ground.

In the trade thread people are discussing not having a good enough midfield and we should address that over chasing someone like Hurley.

I disagree, I reckon we still have plenty of talent that we can roll through our midfield, and McGovern is one of them.

Obviously not this year. Continue playing him forward and let him build his fitness and strength. But with players like McGovern, Menzel, Doedee and Charlie too, I don't think we are that short on talent to be completely honest.

Versatility is key. Whenever one of these guys isn't playing midfield they will be able to be damaging in other areas of the ground.
Agreed and it's plain as day what Pyke is trying to do.

Put him down for one if he's snapping on his left foot

pykey will prob let Hurley loose in the midfield anyway ( only half joking )

Before the season started, I was sprouting to my mates that McGovern was going to develop into an absolute gun player, although I thought that to pick him now was doing that ahead of his time, and that we'd see him in our best 22 next year.

How wrong was I with that last part. He'll play plenty of games this year. He presents a unique package of skills in that forward line for a player who is allegedly playing the role of a defensive forward given his height etc. He presents a very difficult match-up for the opposition.

There's no way I'd drop him at the moment to allow Charlie Cameron to come in, as much as I love Charlie Cameron.

Cameron must come in eventually IMO if his form justifies, but unless McGovern weakens as the season goes on, it won't be in his place.
The thing about Charlie is we shouldn't necessarily wait for him to be BOG in a SANFL game with plenty of possessions because that day will prob never happen

He's an impact player that applies unbelievable pressure with that closing speed

Having said that I'm in no hurry to demand he gets selected yet . Give him midfield time in snafl and get him fitter than he's ever been and hungry . Then let him loose

Injuries will Come unfortunately and he will get his chance . Interesting quotes from eade saying that players may need to be tested after 6 games to avoid soft tissues

I wonder what our view is given our game style relies on fast football with electric spread

Was told how highly the club rates him, but in addition to this, its quite obvious to see this kid could do damage at AFL level.

When you've got the pace and agility that he has at 191cm, but can also get off the ground and take contested marks like he does, you're going to cause issues for the opposition.

He's just got so many tools in the shed. Can compete at ground level just as well as he does in the air. Strong tackler, good skills and a good eye for goal similar to Menzel. 191cm is just such an awkward height too which also works in his favour.

It was always going to be about getting his body right and up to AFL level fitness. Still didn't do a full PS this year which is promising (albeit training a lot more than he did last year).
I have heard he has a big tank as well which surprised me. Guy has a whole arsenal of weapons!

The thing about Charlie is we shouldn't necessarily wait for him to be BOG in a SANFL game with plenty of possessions because that day will prob never happen

He's an impact player that applies unbelievable pressure with that closing speed

Having said that I'm in no hurry to demand he gets selected yet . Give him midfield time in snafl and get him fitter than he's ever been and hungry . Then let him loose

Injuries will Come unfortunately and he will get his chance . Interesting quotes from eade saying that players may need to be tested after 6 games to avoid soft tissues

I wonder what our view is given our game style relies on fast football with electric spread

The point of Charlie being an impact player was very evident on the weekend. Lifted a gear in the 4th and was a catalyst in our comeback (with Knight).

Mind you, i also agree with wanting him to play a game or two in the midfield in SANFL, just to get used to it. He's still raw, so it won't do any harm.

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back