McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was told from a source outside of the club who works in the industry that is closely associated to player movements that given the AFC success with our rookie list and players like Lynch we now have a lot of player managers knocking on our door because they believe our development program is second to none and that this presents a real moneyball opportunity for the club as there is high end draft talent who for what ever reason may not make it at their 1st club might look to the AFC for their 2nd and final opportunity given our history of success

There is also a belief that there is one non Victorian club who is pitching hard for Kelly and the feel is that club is us however what does distort that belied is that it seems to be well known that we are keen on Hopper and may have tabled an offer and the Gibbs situation remains unclear
Cheers for the info. Surely North, after missing out on Dusty, throw big dollars at Kelly now and blow all the other offers out of the water.

Before Thor became a mid I thought Gov could do that role.

But he is a natural forward.

Since Gov has signed on it seems he is happy to be that third forward, I still think he is very capable of being a main key forward. He could have easily taken more coin and grabbed that limelight at Freo.

Which makes his decision to stay more significant. He would rather have a chance to taste team success in a great system than individual stardom.

Us having three key forwards who can play together with different traits that all compliment each other makes us a genuine contender for the next few seasons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The biggest advantage of having McGovern in our forward line is, due to his agility and speed, it's like having a tall that can also apply defensive pressure like a small. That means the opposition either have to play a smaller player on him, who he can outmark, or a taller player on him, who he can beat when the ball is on the ground.

That versatility can create a lot of problems for the opposition. He just needs to start being more consistent (and I think we've seen that in the back end of this season).

The biggest advantage of having McGovern in our forward line is, due to his agility and speed, it's like having a tall that can also apply defensive pressure like a small. That means the opposition either have to play a smaller player on him, who he can outmark, or a taller player on him, who he can beat when the ball is on the ground.

That versatility can create a lot of problems for the opposition. He just needs to start being more consistent (and I think we've seen that in the back end of this season).
My main knock on him has been that I see him as too one dimensional. Takes a big mark and that is it

But the last three weeks there has been more to his game.

As you say he does need more consistency and learn how to contribute more. I see signs of that happening.

Tex had to learn the same thing early. He was very much a one dimensional player early on. Now he is far more than just a forward. I am sure Tex is working with Gov on this.

Cheers for the info. Surely North, after missing out on Dusty, throw big dollars at Kelly now and blow all the other offers out of the water.

Although his manager said he was all about his players being at clubs where they can win a premiership. That counts out North, no matter what their money.

and not managed by an idiot, but someone who is interested in making sure he gets more clients.
Ultimately Kelly isn't going to go to North if he doesn't think they will eventually improve. They are clearly going through a rebuilding stage, having cleared out a lot of their older players at the end of last year and will again now.

Trying to guess which team is going to win premierships in the next next 5+ years is like trying to guess the exact weather one month from now. You can have a general idea. But if you're a young player looking to sign a long-term deal, obviously you can't guarantee you'll taste a premiership by going to a 'club on the rise'.

Picking rising clubs is a fool's errand. That said, there are certain clubs who (for various reasons like terrific systems and AFL handouts) are perennial contenders.

I was told from a source outside of the club who works in the industry that is closely associated to player movements that given the AFC success with our rookie list and players like Lynch we now have a lot of player managers knocking on our door because they believe our development program is second to none and that this presents a real moneyball opportunity for the club as there is high end draft talent who for what ever reason may not make it at their 1st club might look to the AFC for their 2nd and final opportunity given our history of success

There is also a belief that there is one non Victorian club who is pitching hard for Kelly and the feel is that club is us however what does distort that belied is that it seems to be well known that we are keen on Hopper and may have tabled an offer and the Gibbs situation remains unclear
I was told a couple of weeks ago that we believe that we are out of the Kelly sweepstakes but we did express our interest and made a significant long term offer. I am not sure if we were told no but the feeling at the club is that we might be out of the running there.

Despite some reports out there, we believe that are still in the running for Hopper. Whether he chooses us or some other team remains to be seen. We do have some irons in the fire though but at this stage nothing is finalised.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that we believe that we are out of the Kelly sweepstakes but we did express our interest and made a significant long term offer. I am not sure if we were told no but the feeling at the club is that we might be out of the running there.

Despite some reports out there, we believe that are still in the running for Hopper. Whether he chooses us or some other team remains to be seen. We do have some irons in the fire though but at this stage nothing is finalised.
I have no inside info on this, but apparently Kelly is fielding offers from about 10 clubs. I expect North to throw the kitchen sink at Kelly now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to guess which team is going to win premierships in the next next 5+ years is like trying to guess the exact weather one month from now. You can have a general idea. But if you're a young player looking to sign a long-term deal, obviously you can't guarantee you'll taste a premiership by going to a 'club on the rise'.

Picking rising clubs is a fool's errand. That said, there are certain clubs who (for various reasons like terrific systems and AFL handouts) are perennial contenders.
yeah but I would suggest picking 6 teams that won't win any premierships in the next 5 years is more like predicting that the sun will rise tomorrow.

The club has been tracking Hopper for a couple of years now so hopefully if he decides to leave a club in its premiership window he will want to join a club with the same window very much open

My main knock on him has been that I see him as too one dimensional. Takes a big mark and that is it

But the last three weeks there has been more to his game.

As you say he does need more consistency and learn how to contribute more. I see signs of that happening.

Tex had to learn the same thing early. He was very much a one dimensional player early on. Now he is far more than just a forward. I am sure Tex is working with Gov on this.

He's pretty quick Geoffa. Settles to finish. Defensive attributes. Reading the play by going up the ground to create a link. Looks natural on his left. Heaps to like.

Back