Rumour Medhurst wants to return to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty common knowledge he had a massive gambling addiction when at Fremantle...

Not something associated with mental strength

Michael Jordan has a well documented gambling addiction, as do a large % of sportspeople. It's actually a trait of over-competitiveness, and not being "mentally weak".

I'd say the fact that a 178cm marking forward managed to make an AFL All-Australian team even once is an absolute credit to him and the work he put in.

Heard of a thing called a "stuffed ankle". Read somewhere that he had torn all his liagments in his ankle. I'm no doctor but I would say it would be pretty hard to play football with that injury.

So he's had torn ligaments in his ankle every season apart from maybe one year at Freo and one at Collingwood?

I've torn the ligaments in my ankle plenty of times... It isn't as bad as it sounds. If it was affecting him at all... he wouldn't be playing seconds.

Anyone have any theories about how he went from being a set of steak knives in the Tarrant deal to AA? Was it mental... or just raw talent that finally came out :D

Michael Jordan has a well documented gambling addiction, as do a large % of sportspeople. It's actually a trait of over-competitiveness, and not being "mentally weak".

I'd say the fact that a 178cm marking forward managed to make an AFL All-Australian team even once is an absolute credit to him and the work he put in.

Michael Jordan still had enough money left to buy his own NBA basketball team... not really in the same league.

For those "negative pricks" out there, Meds was BOG in the VFL today.

And he was taken off 10 minutes early.

He will play next week (Assuming Jack and Trav get rubbed out).

He was very good today, the old Meds, he even had a run in the centre.:thumbsu:

For those "negative pricks" out there, Meds was BOG in the VFL today.

And he was taken off 10 minutes early.

He will play next week (Assuming Jack and Trav get rubbed out).

He was very good today, the old Meds, he even had a run in the centre.:thumbsu:

So he played mentally strong today :thumbsu:

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Sport/2010/03/29/Medhurst_happy_to_start_year_on_a_high_445305.html

Medhurst happy to start year on a high

"Medhurst said confidence and form were vital for a forward, something he found out the hard way as last season progressed.

'I got injured in round four and just really struggled to get back on top of the ground,' he said.

'When your form's a little down, you don't attract the ball as much, you can fall by the wayside a little bit.

'Getting out and kicking a couple of goals there, hopefully I can use that momentum for the rest of the year."

Even Meds seems to agree that he is a confidence player... maybe he's wrong... about himself!

It'd have to be something personal or some angry Tarrant groupie , completely lost the plot.

I thought Medders was very good today , and looked the class player on the ground. Hopefully he gained confidence from it and gives the Saints a headache next week.

It'd have to be something personal or some angry Tarrant groupie , completely lost the plot.

I thought Medders was very good today , and looked the class player on the ground. Hopefully he gained confidence from it and gives the Saints a headache next week.

Yep... I've lost the plot! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt he is a confidence player. I wouldn't regard him as mentally weak. He has kicked many clutch goals throughout his career. You don't do this if you blood turns to piss whenever a pressurised moment comes along. It's all down to confidence.

Not banging on you Smoke, as I agree all are entitled to there opinion, but gambling addiction doesn't come into it either. Fev is an addict too, and he does alright in most pressure situations and while mentally immature not mentally weak. Perhaps I've misinterpreted what you meant there.

When players confidence is up... they're up.

When a players confidence is down... they are down.

I think Medhurst has been down for over a year and a half. Practically every player in the AFL over the past year and a half has played with niggling injuries (its par for the course)... but not every player in the AFL has been out of form for a year and a half - and (IMO) mentally stronger players are able to positively reinforce their confidence and therefore perform at their potential and at the elite level of the AFL. Medhurst has not been able to do this for over a year and a half.

I am happy to cop critisism for putting it in such harsh terms, but put quite simply I think the last year and a half has proved that he has not been able to mentally pull himself out of his rut... in other words, not shown the mental strength to perform at the elite level.

would we trade Medhurst for Tarrant (no picks involved) as there are also rumours he wants to come home..

Reckon Freo would want more than that. Anyway, we'll think about it at the end if the year. It's likely a nothing rumour, and hopefully Medhurst can get his form back in time for the finals! The Tarrant rumour will hang around for a while I think.

Reckon this thread should probably be locked. Based on a sketchy rumour at best anyway.

Why does a rigorous difference of opinion require the thread to be locked?

The subject matter is worthy of debate, if some posters say things that are over the top then delete that particular post but to shut down a very interesting topic just because you personally don't like it is pretty much symptomatic of this board over the last year or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Medhurst wants to return to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back