News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The softer surface of Lathlain, AFL check the standard at Optus and not at Lathlain.
Purple Park at Cockburn is like Optus and their injuries aren’t like ours.
I was just going off what info I was given
So what your saying is that MRP is too soft compared to AFL standard, so when we hit the meat of the season on the AFL grounds (harder surfaces) the players bodies can’t cope and start to fail?

Last edited:

So what your saying is that MRP is too soft compared to AFL standard, so when we hit the meat of the season on the AFL grounds (harder surfaces) the players bodies can’t cope and start to fail?
Mate all I was told was MRP is not AFL standard, might just be 🐂💩 or it might just be because our headquarters are based with Perth FC and their failures are rubbing off.

I would have thought softer grounds would lead to less injuries?

Who the **** knows although going from a soft surface to hard could be an issue. That said if I had to guess I would’ve thought most Victorian clubs would train on softer than average grounds

We did have a spate of lower leg injuries in 2018 which was considered to be due in part to the hardness of Optus - we were still training at Subiaco for the 2018 season

From memory we did a lot of our 2019 preseason training at Lathlain but still alternated between there and Subiaco until we moved to Lathlain permanently in around July of 2019

For the most part our availability during both 2018 and 2019 was pretty good

Major problems started during 2020 and have become worse ever since. Whatever the root cause, I’m not convinced it’s the surface at Lathlain given we spent considerable time training at Lathlain from early 2019

Until the club gets an understanding of the underlying problem we’ll continue to struggle. Any analysis needs to delineate what is simply bad luck (and that IS a factor) and what is controllable

Lathlain being too soft is a plot twist I didn’t see coming
I have expertise in soil testing - there are metrics. I don't know what tests are being conducted and what is AFL standard. Not being up to standard could be just different. Road runners chose softer training surfaces to reduce repetative impact related injuries but race and do some training on pavement. Shoe technology has moved on in leaps and bounds, but I suspect the expertise isn't in the AFL domain. It all sounds like a witch hunt to me. Lathlain being softer makes sense for training.

what has perth's run of injuries looked like over the last few years? if it is lathlain then surely they should be in a similar predicament?

King nissie showing he's alive at least...

"West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has broken his silence in the wake of the club’s worst-ever loss, declaring he still has the energy to lead the Eagles through their rebuild and revealing he won’t seek a priority draft pick from the AFL.

Nisbett landed at Perth Airport on Wednesday after flying in from Melbourne as pressure builds on the 18th-placed club, with calls for change from supporters and analysts intensifying after 12 straight losses by at least 40 points.

Despite chairman Paul Fitzpatrick, coach Adam Simpson and captain Luke Shuey all addressing the club’s fans, the long-time chief executive Nisbett had remained tight-lipped in the four days since West Coast’s 171-point hiding at the hands of Sydney, declining to comment amid multiple attempts from The West Australian.

But speaking on Wednesday, Nisbett said he was up for the challenge of leading the Eagles out of one of the lowest points experienced by any club in the AFL era despite his long stint at the helm.

“I think I’ve proven pretty capable of doing that,” Nisbett said why he should remain CEO during the rebuild.

“That’s a decision that the board will have to make and they’ll make that in due course.

“We’re obviously drilling down every part of our operation currently, and we’ll continue to do that.

“I’ve got plenty of energy, again I’ll leave that to the board and they can make up their own mind for what the next step is for me.”

Nisbett has been at the club since 1989 and has held the chief executive position since 1999.

Despite sitting on the bottom of the ladder and mustering just three wins since the start of 2022, Nisbett refused to label the Eagles’ current situation as the worst it’s ever been.

“I think with the number of kids we’ve got playing and the opportunities those kids are getting, I think that’s a really good thing for the footy club,” Nisbett said.

“However, what happened last weekend has been drilled down to the absolute core.

“It’s not good enough. It’s unacceptable. And we’ll just keep working through the issues that we’ve got. Get those right.”

When asked if the Eagles would apply for AFL assistance in the form of a priority pick, Nisbett simply said “no”.

Nisbett assured fans things would turn around but conceded it would be a tough road back to contention.

“This year, we’re very positive about going back to the draft, getting some more talent in, making sure that we’ve got young guys who continue to play, and eventually this will turn,” he said.

“But there’s no quick fix in AFL football. It’s a really tough business.

“And we have to stay the course and if we can do that, and we get more people available, it’s going to be a lot better than what we’re seeing at the moment.”

When asked if the club needed a massive overhaul following a string of poor results, Nisbett said: “What we do is we go through things methodically and we’ll work through what we have to do.

“There’ll be some changes, certainly, but a lot of the strategic stuff that we’re doing from a board perspective... I speak to the board every day, talking about different aspects of the football club, and consequently, the board will finally make decisions on what they think of the right moves and the wrong moves.

“That’s what the board’s there for.”

Nisbett also threw his support behind Adam Simpson, who is contracted until 2025, to remain in the coaching role despite six losses by 100 points or more in the past two seasons.

“We’ve done that consistently and the circumstances that Adam’s been dealt at the moment are unbelievable, really,” he said.

“When you look back on history, I don’t think this has ever happened before.

“It’s unprecedented to have 15 to 20 injuries every week. People will say that’s an excuse; well, it’s no excuse. We still don’t expect the players to perform as poorly as they did last weekend. And that’s not acceptable.”

The Eagles face St Kilda at Optus Stadium on Sunday, with one fan group preparing to boycott the first quarter in an attempt to spark change.

In a message to fans, Nisbett asked them to turn out at the game and throw their support behind the club during its time of need.

“The message is come along on Sunday. We expect a better performance. We don’t care who’s playing, but we do expect that better performance,” he said.

“So please come along, support the boys. They’ll be extremely excited to see a big crowd there. And then certainly that’s what they’ll be hoping for.

“We’d like to see as many people as we possibly can.”

Nisbett would not put any marker on what he expected from the Eagles against the Saints.

“There’s no parameters,” he said.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the last defiant statement from a proud but dead man walking? I can see some value in retaining Trev, some issue need addressing with the WAFL/WAFL and AFL. The board is obviously giving direction and this is likely to inclide staff changes (sackings). Trev could do the hatchet jobs leaving a clean slate for the incoming CEO.

You can’t be in charge and let it get this bad, and then say “oh I’ve got the energy to fix it”, because we are then wondering why you haven’t fixed it already Nissy you campaigner.

Yeah I have to say I find that interesting as well.

Leads team to absolute shit show its in now

"I have the energy to lead us out of the unprecedented shit show we find ourselves under my leadership"

Is this the last defiant statement from a proud but dead man walking? I can see some value in retaining Trev, some issue need addressing with the WAFL/WAFL and AFL. The board is obviously giving direction and this is likely to inclide staff changes (sackings). Trev could do the hatchet jobs leaving a clean slate for the incoming CEO.
He has lead us into the mess he sure as hell not the best person to get us out.

King nissie showing he's alive at least...

"West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has broken his silence in the wake of the club’s worst-ever loss, declaring he still has the energy to lead the Eagles through their rebuild and revealing he won’t seek a priority draft pick from the AFL.

Nisbett landed at Perth Airport on Wednesday after flying in from Melbourne as pressure builds on the 18th-placed club, with calls for change from supporters and analysts intensifying after 12 straight losses by at least 40 points.

Despite chairman Paul Fitzpatrick, coach Adam Simpson and captain Luke Shuey all addressing the club’s fans, the long-time chief executive Nisbett had remained tight-lipped in the four days since West Coast’s 171-point hiding at the hands of Sydney, declining to comment amid multiple attempts from The West Australian.

But speaking on Wednesday, Nisbett said he was up for the challenge of leading the Eagles out of one of the lowest points experienced by any club in the AFL era despite his long stint at the helm.

“I think I’ve proven pretty capable of doing that,” Nisbett said why he should remain CEO during the rebuild.

“That’s a decision that the board will have to make and they’ll make that in due course.

“We’re obviously drilling down every part of our operation currently, and we’ll continue to do that.

“I’ve got plenty of energy, again I’ll leave that to the board and they can make up their own mind for what the next step is for me.”

Nisbett has been at the club since 1989 and has held the chief executive position since 1999.

Despite sitting on the bottom of the ladder and mustering just three wins since the start of 2022, Nisbett refused to label the Eagles’ current situation as the worst it’s ever been.

“I think with the number of kids we’ve got playing and the opportunities those kids are getting, I think that’s a really good thing for the footy club,” Nisbett said.

“However, what happened last weekend has been drilled down to the absolute core.

“It’s not good enough. It’s unacceptable. And we’ll just keep working through the issues that we’ve got. Get those right.”

When asked if the Eagles would apply for AFL assistance in the form of a priority pick, Nisbett simply said “no”.

Nisbett assured fans things would turn around but conceded it would be a tough road back to contention.

“This year, we’re very positive about going back to the draft, getting some more talent in, making sure that we’ve got young guys who continue to play, and eventually this will turn,” he said.

“But there’s no quick fix in AFL football. It’s a really tough business.

“And we have to stay the course and if we can do that, and we get more people available, it’s going to be a lot better than what we’re seeing at the moment.”

When asked if the club needed a massive overhaul following a string of poor results, Nisbett said: “What we do is we go through things methodically and we’ll work through what we have to do.

“There’ll be some changes, certainly, but a lot of the strategic stuff that we’re doing from a board perspective... I speak to the board every day, talking about different aspects of the football club, and consequently, the board will finally make decisions on what they think of the right moves and the wrong moves.

“That’s what the board’s there for.”

Nisbett also threw his support behind Adam Simpson, who is contracted until 2025, to remain in the coaching role despite six losses by 100 points or more in the past two seasons.

“We’ve done that consistently and the circumstances that Adam’s been dealt at the moment are unbelievable, really,” he said.

“When you look back on history, I don’t think this has ever happened before.

“It’s unprecedented to have 15 to 20 injuries every week. People will say that’s an excuse; well, it’s no excuse. We still don’t expect the players to perform as poorly as they did last weekend. And that’s not acceptable.”

The Eagles face St Kilda at Optus Stadium on Sunday, with one fan group preparing to boycott the first quarter in an attempt to spark change.

In a message to fans, Nisbett asked them to turn out at the game and throw their support behind the club during its time of need.

“The message is come along on Sunday. We expect a better performance. We don’t care who’s playing, but we do expect that better performance,” he said.

“So please come along, support the boys. They’ll be extremely excited to see a big crowd there. And then certainly that’s what they’ll be hoping for.

“We’d like to see as many people as we possibly can.”

Nisbett would not put any marker on what he expected from the Eagles against the Saints.

“There’s no parameters,” he said.

Interesting there was no reference to what was previously ‘reported’ - he was leaving at end of 2024. Looks like that may have changed too.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back