News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we don't lose him.

Really enjoy watching him play.

One it's exciting and two I absolutely believe you need a couple of X-factor types around goal in the best 22. Creating a goal out of next to nothing is crucial for beating the better sides in big games.

I was very pleased to see Noah's goal on the weekend for this reason. Tackle, harrass, knock the ball down, rove and snap. Exactly the kind of goal we have not been able to create many of in recent times.

Ryan tends to make his magic happen in the air and that is certainly spectacular...if riskier.

Tell me you've never seen Jamie Cripps before last week without telling me you've never seen Jamie Cripps before last week:
"It’s great to see him add another string to his bow and have a lot of tackles in Round 20, which hopefully isn’t an aberration."
****ing idiots

If im completely honest, given where we are at on the field i would be open to seeing ryan leave as he is one of a few who has currency.

He isnt the sort of player that prepares well off the field or sets any training standard.

Im waiting for the annual "ryan departs preseason training because it became a bit too hard" headline next year.
That happened once...

The Allen one is frankly the most ridiculous thing I have read in years.

After committing to this shoot he ain't going nowhere

oscar-allen-rocking-the-retro-fit-v0-xKrKQn1swnxlgM2slIOj2sMUYES3NfVwwxVv3L2X1iQ.jpg
1690941431242.png

Tell me you've never seen Jamie Cripps before last week without telling me you've never seen Jamie Cripps before last week:
"It’s great to see him add another string to his bow and have a lot of tackles in Round 20, which hopefully isn’t an aberration."

Wasn’t even in his top-three highest tackle counts.

Jamie Cripps career average for tackles is 3.93. His best year was 2015 with an average of 5.56.

His average this year so far is 4.75 which is his second best on the back of a career high 14 against St Kilda and the 11 he racked up on the weekend. His other 6 games produced a total of 13 combined

The North game was only the 5th time he’s recorded 10 or more tackles

All of the above are lower than I would have expected. The comment in that Roar article isn’t actually unfair as he doesn’t have a proven record of being a prolific tackler

That said, he’s been in our top 5 total tackles every year from 2015-2022 which says something about our intent to tackle I guess

Jamie Cripps career average for tackles is 3.93. His best year was 2015 with an average of 5.56
You’d think 4 per game is still pretty high for a forward flank though. His average has definitely taken a hit in recent years.

Similar player career averages
Brent Daniels 2.9
Lachie Schultz 3.0
Tom Papley 2.5
Luke Breust 3.6
SPP 4.3
Lincoln McCarthy 3.1
Dan Butler 3.8
Beau Mccreery 3.7

Side note - I didn’t realise McCreery was so young still. Would love to try and lure him out of the pies somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More journos obsession over WCE going for 'WA talent'.

Seriously, this is not how you become a successful club.

When has WCE ever prioritised reaching for WA talent over someone more highly rated? Because any of those names, beside Curtin, would be a reach with earlier first rounders.

Sure, they can point to the pick swap last year(literally the only time) but that made a lot of sense, as the Wardlaw/Sheezel were significant flight risks, Wardlaw's hammies would've been a serious concern with WCE's soft-tissue injuries anyway, and Sheezel didn't fit a need anyway.

I can't really see WCE accepting Melbourne's rumoured offer, as Maric's been impressive and Jack Williams is showing a bit, so it makes JVR less attractive and their first(Freo's) would mean we miss out on the top 3 available blokes anyway, so it's pointless.

North's is only worth it if they offer up 2 & 3. Some donkey NM supporter on the draft board suggested Pick 2 and Port's first, which was ****ing hilarious. He's suggesting that Harley Reid is worth a late first and said it'd be a win/win for everyone.

****ing clueless..

I read through that

As enlightening as a busted torch. Learned nothing from it
I always skim past these links waiting for some other sucker to read it and let the board know if it is worthwhile or a life regret. If it is a Fox, News.com or Roar article it is usually the later.
Thanks for doing God's work Keys.

When has WCE ever prioritised reaching for WA talent over someone more highly rated? Because any of those names, beside Curtin, would be a reach with earlier first rounders.

Sure, they can point to the pick swap last year(literally the only time) but that made a lot of sense, as the Wardlaw/Sheezel were significant flight risks, Wardlaw's hammies would've been a serious concern with WCE's soft-tissue injuries anyway, and Sheezel didn't fit a need anyway.

I can't really see WCE accepting Melbourne's rumoured offer, as Maric's been impressive and Jack Williams is showing a bit, so it makes JVR less attractive and their first(Freo's) would mean we miss out on the top 3 available blokes anyway, so it's pointless.

North's is only worth it if they offer up 2 & 3. Some donkey NM supporter on the draft board suggested Pick 2 and Port's first, which was ******* hilarious. He's suggesting that Harley Reid is worth a late first and said it'd be a win/win for everyone.

******* clueless..
Completely agree, and not only do we have successful examples of going for best available metro Vic talent (Judd, Gaff), it also makes you wonder about the motive here from the media, which then makes me want us to draft Reid even more.

Completely agree, and not only do we have successful examples of going for best available metro Vic talent (Judd, Gaff), it also makes you wonder about the motive here from the media, which then makes me want us to draft Reid even more.
Agreed.

Reckon they've paid attention to the fact that we barely lose interstate players and are terrified Reid will never want to go back to Vic to play for a 'big' club.

Yet they're happy for him to spend his entire career at a rebuilding North? No wonder the Melbourne narrative is getting a run.

Jamie Cripps career average for tackles is 3.93. His best year was 2015 with an average of 5.56.

His average this year so far is 4.75 which is his second best on the back of a career high 14 against St Kilda and the 11 he racked up on the weekend. His other 6 games produced a total of 13 combined

The North game was only the 5th time he’s recorded 10 or more tackles

All of the above are lower than I would have expected. The comment in that Roar article isn’t actually unfair as he doesn’t have a proven record of being a prolific tackler

That said, he’s been in our top 5 total tackles every year from 2015-2022 which says something about our intent to tackle I guess
Not sure if the stat is available to the public but I'm pretty sure he is always in the top few for tackles inside the forward 50. Its been his main strength for most of his career.

Not sure if the stat is available to the public but I'm pretty sure he is always in the top few for tackles inside the forward 50. Its been his main strength for most of his career.

Just on this - why is there a separate stat recording system that isn't made available to everyone? Or is it just a matter of paying a fee to read it?

North's is only worth it if they offer up 2 & 3. Some donkey NM supporter on the draft board suggested Pick 2 and Port's first, which was ******* hilarious. He's suggesting that Harley Reid is worth a late first and said it'd be a win/win for everyone.

******* clueless..
It would be infuriating if we trade pick 1 for only 1 top 10 pick and a bunch of picks in the teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back