Club Focus Melbourne 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Surely Melbourne are on the phone to Tom Lynch's agent. He could easily be the difference between a premiership or not and they've got the trade captial to get it done. As long as his foot isn't cooked it just looks so obvious.

I really dont know why they thought Grundy was a better option for them than Lobb. Lobb is limited but if there's one thing he can do, it's sit under a sky ball and clunk a few contested marks a game. He'd have been absolutely perfect for them in that forwardline

Surely Melbourne are on the phone to Tom Lynch's agent. He could easily be the difference between a premiership or not and they've got the trade captial to get it done. As long as his foot isn't cooked it just looks so obvious.

Tom is too old and too seriously injured. They do need a kpf though.

It is unlikely Richmond would trade Lynch given Riewoldt’s retirement.
Lynch for pick 15, Richmond pays most of his salary. Do Richmond say no?

Look through that Richmond list. Is there any way they compete for a flag in the next 3 years? I think not. But get in some quality young players now and they'll be ready to launch again in 3-4 years.

Look through that Richmond list. Is there any way they compete for a flag in the next 3 years? I think not. But get in some quality young players now and they'll be ready to launch again in 3-4 years.
Unless Lynch wants to leave Richmond desperately, Richmond would say no to that.

Jesus our forwardline is a shambles and the best this thread can come up with is a 31 year old on one leg for pick 5?

Christ, think it’s time for bed
I don’t watch Melbourne as much as their fans would, but is the problem only forward line personnel? Or is the disposal inside 50 also a part of the problem?

I don’t watch Melbourne as much as their fans would, but is the problem only forward line personnel? Or is the disposal inside 50 also a part of the problem?
From The Top Man GIF by Bernardson

I really dont know why they thought Grundy was a better option for them than Lobb. Lobb is limited but if there's one thing he can do, it's sit under a sky ball and clunk a few contested marks a game. He'd have been absolutely perfect for them in that forwardline
Perhaps a three way trade could happen? Grundy from Dees to Port, a draft pick from Port to Bulldogs and Lobb from Bulldogs to Dees?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in fantasy land... why the hell would we do that? pick 15 isn't even that good and you want us to pay 1 million a year for him to play at another club? :tearsofjoy:

Trade pick 5 and pick 15 into next years first round.

Offer two 2024 first round picks + Salem for Ben King.

Gives Gold Coast 3 top 10 picks this year and 3 first round picks next year + Salem.

They cant waste another minute of Petracca and Oliver at their prime kicking the ball to Tom Mcdonald. Its a crime against Football.

They don't even need a superstar, really.

Just someone who can get on the park, have a bit of forward presence, and is not utterly cooked would be a significant upgrade on Brown and McDonald.

All you really need is a disciplined hard worker to run patterns and keep the defence away from Fritsch and Kodi.

If they take a few marks and kick 30+ while doing it, even better.

Game plan also needs a huge change though, can't keep the obvious skyball going on 90% of inside 50s

He's younger than both Gawn and May. That's their window right there.

Of course if his foot is stuffed it's a no go but if he's likely to get back to full fitness it's an absolute no brainer.

I wouldnt risk it with a big guy and that type of injury.

Gives Gold Coast 3 top 10 picks this year and 3 first round picks next year + Salem.

They cant waste another minute of Petracca and Oliver at their prime kicking the ball to Tom Mcdonald. Its a crime against Football.

Gc have 1st round worthy academy players next year so that doesnt help them.

They don't even need a superstar, really.

Just someone who can get on the park, have a bit of forward presence, and is not utterly cooked would be a significant upgrade on Brown and McDonald.
Yes, Lobb...

I didnt understand Grundy over him last year and it makes even less sense now...

To be fair I wouldn’t say Petracca and Oliver were kicking it to anyone other than the opposotion defenders

To be fair I wouldn’t say Petracca and Oliver were kicking it to anyone other than the opposotion defenders

Hence why they need a gun key forward.

Lose next week and its a summer of pressure for Goodwin, the same way Hinkley has copped it.

They have multiple A graders at Melbourne. Probably more than any other team.

They should be making prelims at a minimum.

There just isn’t any uncontracted players that they would use to improve I think.

The need for a KF will either come from within or a contracted steal.

Lachie Gollant from Adelaide would fit the bill. You’d have to pay big to get him a year out from being uncontracted but they’ve got Fog/Thilthorpe as the definite future + a guy like Elliott Himmelberg to keep working on. Gollant competes, leads up, applies pressure - give him a forward line with JVR and you’d see him take some serious steps forwards.

Otherwise it’s left to Fritsch (not “that guy”), Petty (who I’m not sold on - Sam Kerridge once kicked 6 too), and JVR (a kid).

Take a risk on an outside guy and pay the overs and trust the system. Richmond paying 6 for Prestia was overs according to all and sundry. Gollant is more ready than their other reserves.

Otherwise, Jacob Koschitzke would be the only uncontracted guy who fits the bill and I’m certainly not sold on him.

There just isn’t any uncontracted players that they would use to improve I think.

The need for a KF will either come from within or a contracted steal.

Lachie Gollant from Adelaide would fit the bill. You’d have to pay big to get him a year out from being uncontracted but they’ve got Fog/Thilthorpe as the definite future + a guy like Elliott Himmelberg to keep working on. Gollant competes, leads up, applies pressure - give him a forward line with JVR and you’d see him take some serious steps forwards.

Otherwise it’s left to Fritsch (not “that guy”), Petty (who I’m not sold on - Sam Kerridge once kicked 6 too), and JVR (a kid).

Take a risk on an outside guy and pay the overs and trust the system. Richmond paying 6 for Prestia was overs according to all and sundry. Gollant is more ready than their other reserves.

Otherwise, Jacob Koschitzke would be the only uncontracted guy who fits the bill and I’m certainly not sold on him.
Why would Melbourne want players to develop? This is why they are chasing McAdam as they are in premiership contention right now, he complete in the air and is quick on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back