Club Focus Melbourne 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Desperately need a tall KPF.

I didn't realise Van Rooyen is only 193cm, and all of their taller candidates are either ageing (Brown, McDonald), not good enough (Schache) or can't really play semi-permanent forward (Gawn, Grundy).

I didn't realise Van Rooyen is only 193cm, and all of their taller candidates are either ageing (Brown, McDonald), not good enough (Schache) or can't really play semi-permanent forward (Gawn, Grundy).

Can't disagree with that (I think JVR has grown a few cm since being drafted tho).

The other side of the coin is our midfield as a whole can't kick well. So we have below average forwards and below average kickers kicking it to them.

Thankfully we have a good draft hand to target either young guns or trade for the now. Plus some decent cap room apparently.

I'd imagine some of our fringe players will depart - Harmes (trade for not much), Tomlinson (ditto), Jordon (FA), Melksham (retire), Dunstan (delist) and one of Brown or McDonald to retire hopefully.

That'd give us some good cap relief and an opportunity to refresh the list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They drafted one last year pretty sure.

I’m a bit agnostic about a tall forward. I mean sure, if we could get an established gun like Ben King or Aaron Naughton but that’s real nuffy areas.

I reckon a greater priority is point of difference midfielders and probably a good key defender given the cliff is coming for May and Petty looks shithouse again and has been playing forward mostly anyway.

I’m a bit agnostic about a tall forward. I mean sure, if we could get an established gun like Ben King or Aaron Naughton but that’s real nuffy areas.

I reckon a greater priority is point of difference midfielders and probably a good key defender given the cliff is coming for May and Petty looks shithouse again and has been playing forward mostly anyway.

I tend to agree re a midfielder. Re KPFs, look how Naughton is being used by the Dogs, getting kicks bombed to a pack and being asked to perform miracles.

Not too sure a KPD is needed with Petty surely a long term option, and they love Turner who is dominating VFL.

But yeah quick, skilled mids would be my primary focus.

I tend to agree re a midfielder. Re KPFs, look how Naughton is being used by the Dogs, getting kicks bombed to a pack and being asked to perform miracles.

Not too sure a KPD is needed with Petty surely a long term option, and they love Turner who is dominating VFL.

But yeah quick, skilled mids would be my primary focus.

At the end of 2021, I would have said that Petty was certainly going to be May’s successor. However, as mentioned in my previous post, his form has been terrible in defence and he has been thrown forward.

I hope you’re correct and Disco fills out and becomes a bonafide KPD.
But for mine, he looks more of a 3rd tall tweener somewhere in the mould of Hibberd or Lever. There’s also no guarantee that he makes it.

Further, it sounds like Kye Turner and Jed Adams are a fair way off. I reckon a ready to go KPD should be a priority. The dreamboat scenario (although it’s again straying into nuffy areas) would be getting someone like Tom Barrass across.

At the end of 2021, I would have said that Petty was certainly going to be May’s successor. However, as mentioned in my previous post, his form has been terrible in defence and he has been thrown forward.

I hope you’re correct and Disco fills out and becomes a bonafide KPD.
But for mine, he looks more of a 3rd tall tweener somewhere in the mould of Hibberd or Lever. There’s also no guarantee that he makes it.

Further, it sounds like Kye Turner and Jed Adams are a fair way off. I reckon a ready to go KPD should be a priority. The dreamboat scenario (although it’s again straying into nuffy areas) would be getting someone like Tom Barrass across.
Agree, You can win a flag with shit key forwards cant win without a good defence.
Look how many shit teams have gun key forwards. Not many have gun key backs

Looking at the OOC players at the end of this year, there’s none I’d be in a rush to re-sign.

Hibberd deserves another year based on performance but that can be left to the end of the season given he’s 33. Woey Jnr is seemingly close to a debut so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s re-signed for a year. Unless K Turner has shown absolutely nothing in the VFL, I would expect the club to extend him for a year also.

As for the rest, Melksham should be gone. I’d get rid of Dunstan as he reeks of list clogger. Jordon should be traded for a packet of chips. AMW and Deakyn Smith are NGA players who seem miles off a debut and therefore are in the gun to be delisted.

The 2024 OOC list is also interesting. Brown and McDonald are cooked and shouldn’t really go on beyond this year. I’d suspect we’ll look to move on Harmes for the same price as Jordon. Laurie is tracking towards being delisted at the end of next year and Schache = lol.

We’ve got the players we want signed up in the medium/long term. But, I reckon we need to be aggressive in order to improve the list. Clear the deadwood and back yourselves to draft quality youth. Hit the trade and FA period hard and be willing to trade out someone like Salem to get in a needs based established player.

Looking at the OOC players at the end of this year, there’s none I’d be in a rush to re-sign.

Hibberd deserves another year based on performance but that can be left to the end of the season given he’s 33. Woey Jnr is seemingly close to a debut so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s re-signed for a year. Unless K Turner has shown absolutely nothing in the VFL, I would expect the club to extend him for a year also.

As for the rest, Melksham should be gone. I’d get rid of Dunstan as he reeks of list clogger. Jordon should be traded for a packet of chips. AMW and Deakyn Smith are NGA players who seem miles off a debut and therefore are in the gun to be delisted.

The 2024 OOC list is also interesting. Brown and McDonald are cooked and shouldn’t really go on beyond this year. I’d suspect we’ll look to move on Harmes for the same price as Jordon. Laurie is tracking towards being delisted at the end of next year and Schache = lol.

We’ve got the players we want signed up in the medium/long term. But, I reckon we need to be aggressive in order to improve the list. Clear the deadwood and back yourselves to draft quality youth. Hit the trade and FA period hard and be willing to trade out someone like Salem to get in a needs based established player.
resign Hibberd and Jordan and maybe rookie Woey

resign Hibberd and Jordan and maybe rookie Woey

Jordan is a FA and will almost certainly walk to a club if offered senior playing time.

Doubt we'd rookie Woey when he's been an emergency for weeks on end and must be super close to a debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team needs to be refreshed, Geelong does this exceptionally well and is a great example of how to keep a team challenging.

Obviously, we lack a quality CHF. McDonald and Brown are both at the end of their careers, Gawn/Grundy is not the solution and Jefferson isn't ready. JVR shows promise and will be benefit in the future with current game time but he's still a 1st year player. I think Petty is better in defence so we need to get a temporary solution, either a trade or target a mature recruit.

Midfield needs some fresh blood, our first pick should go to the best midfielder available.

What do Melbourne need more with first pick (~5) needs wise

KPD
KPF
Small forward
Big inside mid

What would the order of the 4 be

Could we have something brewing. If we offload Grundy and Tomlinson guys 1m+ in cap space. Throw in May/Gawns tapering contracts, Levers reduced rate on his new contract, Melksham/Hibberd likely retirement. Dunstan gone - that’s a fair bit of cash to spend on a bunch of 18 year old drafted kids.

Could we have something brewing. If we offload Grundy and Tomlinson guys 1m+ in cap space. Throw in May/Gawns tapering contracts, Levers reduced rate on his new contract, Melksham/Hibberd likely retirement. Dunstan gone - that’s a fair bit of cash to spend on a bunch of 18 year old drafted kids.
Drafted kids have a set price

No idea what this tangant is

What do Melbourne need more with first pick (~5) needs wise

KPD
KPF
Small forward
Big inside mid

What would the order of the 4 be
Our list is well balanced.

We drafted a young KPF and a young KPD is the last draft (Matthew Jefferson and Jed Adams), so how we attack this draft could reflect how we think they have been developing. Daniel Turner dominates in the VFL and looks a future AFL key defender. And Petty and Van Rooyen both looked good in attack this season.

We don't have a lot of inside midfielders, but we have the two best bulls in the competition plus Viney. Sparrow is also in line to play inside the centre square and Kossie looks good in patches. So I don't think picking a pure inside midfielder is that smart unless they can be valuable playing outside the centre square.

Kossie aside, our small forwards are good ordinary AFL players. I would love to add some class in the forward line, regardless of size.

The main need from a future perspective is a ruck to replace Gawn, but I think we will go for best available at the pointy end of the draft and we won't be selecting a young ruck early on.

I would do that.

I would do it more if North get that juicy compensation that's been floated.

We're obviously keen on Reid, but if he's not available then I'd say we're looking at Duursma who the Hawks are also keen on - so we'd be getting ahead of them.

We also have a long history of doing that sort of thing.

I would do that.

I would do it more if North get that juicy compensation that's been floated.

We're obviously keen on Reid, but if he's not available then I'd say we're looking at Duursma who the Hawks are also keen on - so we'd be getting ahead of them.

We also have a long history of doing that sort of thing.
Yeah the problem for us is that we have list holes all over the place - aside from inside mids like McKercher and medium forwards like Duursma.

So while they say you shouldn't draft for needs, when you've got a list as unbalanced as ours, there could be a case for trading down. Particularly when the likes of Watson and O'Sullivan are exactly the types of players we need.

The other thing is that if we can't prelist Sanders, but we are allowed to match bids for him, it wipes out the Port pick (currently 16). So doing a trade like this would allow us to get another tall in at the end of the first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back