Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

People who say Melbourne dont "deserve" a pp just dont get it.

Argue all day about whether they need one or should get one...fine, no problems....but please dont come up with crap that the worst club we have seen in the past 15 years doesnt "deserve" a pp.

that's debatable - they've had more finals appearances in that time than we've had in 30 years :confused:

that's debatable - they've had more finals appearances in that time than we've had in 30 years :confused:

We're talking about specific years right? This is the worst half year of football I've seen from any club in my lifetime

Yet youre still not bottom

Maybe, but GWS look like a better team. If they had the fitness to run out games they would have won a few games by now. They certainly would have beaten us.

I am sure this has been mentioned somewhere else but here is the team the Demons could have had if they drafted correctly over the past few years

MELBOURNE
B: Colin Garland, James Frawley, Alex Johnson
HB: Dayne Beams, Harry Taylor, Colin Sylvia
C Gary Rohan, Scott Selwood, Dan Hannebery
HF Dustin Martin, Chris Dawes, Nat Fyfe
F Lewis Jetta, Jack Darling, Sam Reid
R Nic Naitanui, Nat Jones, Pat Dangerfield
I/C: Jack Newnes, Luke Parker, Mitch Clark
Sub: Aaron Davey

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d-have-assembled/story-fni5f91a-1226667455908

Yep and you got plenty of pps in that time despite your incompetence.

If by plenty, you mean 2 (and the same number as Collingwood I might add) then yep - you are correct.

Priority picks since 1987:
  • Richmond x 2 (04 - Deledio, 07 - Rance).
  • Carlton x 4 (03 - Walker, 05 - Murphy, 06 - Hampson, 07 - Kreuzer).
  • Melbourne x 4 (03 - Sylvia, 08 - Blease, 09 - Scully, Trengove).
  • Collingwood x 2 (99 - Fraser, 05 - Thomas).

We're talking about specific years right? This is the worst half year of football I've seen from any club in my lifetime

Hard to argue with the last 18 months really.

Was still a kid in Fitzroy's dying days but fairly sure they copped heavy thrashings weekly.

Not too fussed about the pp either way but if it is given, it should be an end of first round pick that should be traded for a senior player IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've said before, the other clubs are already behind due to the two expansion teams taking top draft picks for some years now.
In my opinion, the full effect of the compromised drafts won't be felt for some time yet.

I don't see any need to compromise the draft any further. It's already bad enough.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...mpensation-picks/story-fn7ec9f5-1226600135678
This means that some of the clubs not in the bottom 4 and with ageing lists at the moment are already faced with trying to rebuild from what are effectively second round picks. We do not yet know how this is going to turn out in years to come.

So stuff Melbourne. I'm one of those who believe it would be a very sad day for the AFL if they were to go, but you can't keep spoon feeding them. They've had priority picks. They've had round one selections. For years. They're going to get another one this year by the looks of things (top ten selection).
The problem isn't the draft, with Melbourne. It's what they're doing with those picks once they've got them.

I love Davey but he's a lazy trainer, most VFL players would lap him in a time trial. He's actually been better than expected this year on field and off. Byrnes and Rodan were meant to bring enthusiasm and energy as well as good leadership. The reports on Rodan's leadership preseason were very good. And Byrnes has actually contributed some what on field. Your bolded comments are potentially contradicting.

Some of our other recruits like Gillies and Pedersen were to go along with Dawes to improve us now.

I'm not sure what the guy above was aiming at saying we could've used our picks to improve our team more. Obviously we could've used pick 3 instead of Hogan but we can't negligently make bad deals for short term gain. Same said for Toumpas. At the same time we went mature age with Matt Jones, Terlich and Clisby. That's a decent chunk of mature age. And to me good mature age v fringe is one and the same.

We certainly could do with some decent fringe players as well like Richmond did with Houli, Grigg and Maric. But fringe players are dying out. With GWS and GC taking the best chunk of youngsters it now leaves fringe players as important. A lot of clubs are holding on to them and the Tigers recruited Chaplin, Knights, Lonegan, A Edwards, Petterd and Stevenson knowing that these recent drafts have been ravaged and the quality of kids just not there. You'll note everyone is talking up how good the Tigers top picks were but haven't heard a thing from the second and third rounders because the talent isn't there in large chunks. That's the GWS and GCS effect on the recent drafts.

As for Jackson asking for 2 PP's. He's just using the good old use car salesman trick and aiming high! We are horrible and have been handicapped by bad decisions but also by GWS and GC coming in. I'd say we deserve a PP whether that be pick 1 or pick 19 or somewhere in the middle. I don't want the PP for a free star player. I want it so we can safely add an extra number to the delisting pile and have a pick in the draft worth using. At this stage Melbourne still have 10-15 complete duds to turn over and you can't do that without having some quality to bring in because it effects your training and development.

More trying to get at, in the past the likes of Mcdonald and Bruce had been delisted who from an outside point of view would have offered leadership and guidance. Then last year Rodan and Byrnes were bought in for Leadership and guidance. That's why I don't understand. Sure get rid of players who don't want to be there (which may have been the case with Bruce? Definitely was with Moloney last year) But don't cut players who can protect the kids from the brunt of it for a couple of years until the kids develop.

Main point im trying to make is that I don't think talented youth is the biggest issue Melbourne have at the moment. Mature age bodies and experience is the biggest problem. Another young talented guy will just be added to the group of kids who are getting battered each week by experienced mature AFL players.

If I was Melbourne id be modeling the path to take on GCS or GWS as they are basically at the same level of both of those clubs.

If by plenty, you mean 2 (and the same number as Collingwood I might add) then yep - you are correct.

Yep. I was making a passing comment. More than one is plenty.

Whats your point?

We finished bottom in 1999 and received the first pick as per standard routine?

Ok genius, which of our decisions led to our sponsor being a racist? And which related to us recieving a shitty fixture each year?

You actually don't need to be a genius to get this stuff. Your response is exactly the attitude I am talking about that everything is always someone else's fault. Every club has to deal with problems like sponsors leaving yet i dont here the bulldogs or port complaining blaming it for being poor performers and unless you are collingwood every club gets a dud deal with the draw and i wouldn't say yours has been drastically worse verses the other bottom 8 teams and it is definitely not why you are in the position your in.

It took us 3-4 years of good drafting, and we had an extra pick to allow us to get Ballantyne at pick 21 (from memory).

Melbourne have been drafting players when GWS and GC have taken most of top quality players already.

There is a big difference between pick 4 or pick 6 and the pick 1 they would have had. Offering them another pick 20, would not affect any team too much and give Melbourne a chance to recruit someone good.

This. Great post mate.

Bottoming out in compromised draft is a death sentence for a poor club. It's hard enough securing talent in the draft without it being sucked of all it's talent by expansion teams. Add to this the poor quality of our recruitment and development departments it's no surprise we didn't do well out of it.

Trengove wasn't a priority pick

This. Great post mate.

Bottoming out in compromised draft is a death sentence for a poor club. It's hard enough securing talent in the draft without it being sucked of all it's talent by expansion teams. Add to this the poor quality of our recruitment and development departments it's no surprise we didn't do well out of it.

But the 08/09 drafts in which you drafted first round picks in Watts (1), Blease (PP17), Scully (PP1) & Trengrove (2) were not drafts that had the talent 'sucked' out of them. In these 2 years you had significantly more opportunity to choose high quality talent than any other club so it is in-fact your last point that is more relevant and your initial point is actually void because you had actually 'bottomed' out prior to the arrival of the expansion teams meaning if you managed your talent aquisition and development you should be in a much better position then teams like Bulldogs, Port and Brisbane who are the ones who really have struggled in those compromised drafts you mentioned.

This. Great post mate.

Yes, but that also means everyone else is doing worse. In draft terms, and of course without any consideration as to how those draft picks eventually turned out.

But the 08/09 drafts in which you drafted first round picks in Watts (1), Blease (PP17), Scully (PP1) & Trengrove (2) were not drafts that had the talent 'sucked' out of them. In these 2 years you had significantly more opportunity to choose high quality talent than any other club so it is in-fact your last point that is more relevant and your initial point is actually void because you had actually 'bottomed' out prior to the arrival of the expansion teams meaning if you managed your talent aquisition and development you should be in a much better position then teams like Bulldogs, Port and Brisbane who are the ones who really have struggled in those compromised drafts you mentioned.

I see your point but I don not believe my point to be void. A poor team takes more than two drafts to significantly improve it's list. How long did it take Richmond and the dockers to sort our their lists? Id argue that we hadnt even bottomed out in those years. Also our number 1 draft pick for 09 was poached by an expansion team.

I don't believe we will see the true effects of the compromised drafts for a few years yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back