Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne clearly used their picks this year for delayed benefit. They could have improved their team a lot more but went long term. On that basis I don't believe they need another pick.

Fact 1: AFL has safety nets to prevent clubs being uncompetitive
Fact 2: Melbourne is currently the least competitive team I have ever seen

Given this, I can't see a reason not to give them a PP. Their previous drafting/trading has nothing to do with it. They have simply been very poor for a long time.

It's up to the AFL, if they fit the criteria i wont be against it, they bloody need it more than most of the teams who've gained priority picks over the years.

It's been rumored that in Peter Jackson's rescue package, that he applied for 2 Priority Picks to be given - after the clubs first selection.

Which would likely to be picks 3 and 4, as MFC's first selection will be pick 2, most likely.

It's been rumored that in Peter Jackson's rescue package, that he applied for 2 Priority Picks to be given - after the clubs first selection.

Which would likely to be picks 3 and 4, as MFC's first selection will be pick 2, most likely.

Did you read that on the wall of a public toilet? The AFL could not give a club picks 3 & 4 on top of already having pick 2. It would ignite a revolution against the administration by the 17 other clubs.

Yes BUT it must be traded away within 3 years, so in essence it becomes a compensation pick. Melbourne don't have the pick, but they are able to trade it for a couple of elite players for a pick directly after Melbourne's. Probably the fairest way to do this. First round PP...probably sends the wrong message if it were given to Melbourne. However this way, they get some more experience from an extra pick after trading. So in essence they could get a AA player for this pick easily.

Doubt its true mate that would be a joke.

That will not happen, at best it'll be one priority pick, most likely mid first round, 2 early first round priority picks would be ridiculous.

2010 they were crowing about their draft picks and how they will get them to finals. So they went on a delisting spree of anyone nearing 30.

A priority pick wont fix it. They need to get some fringe players to the club. When I say fringe players, im meaning anyone under 25 that cant break into a best 22 elsewhere.

Dawes was a decent pick up. They just need another five players like him with a bit of heart and hunger. Byrnes and Rodan were never going to bring anything different than something they haven't already got or had. Aka Davey

Did you read that on the wall of a public toilet? The AFL could not give a club picks 3 & 4 on top of already having pick 2. It would ignite a revolution against the administration by the 17 other clubs.

Nah, was on one of the radios last week.
It was noted at the time.

Obviously the AFL are keen for the Demons to succeed.

2010 they were crowing about their draft picks and how they will get them to finals. So they went on a delisting spree of anyone nearing 30.

A priority pick wont fix it. They need to get some fringe players to the club. When I say fringe players, im meaning anyone under 25 that cant break into a best 22 elsewhere.

Dawes was a decent pick up. They just need another five players like him with a bit of heart and hunger. Byrnes and Rodan were never going to bring anything different than something they haven't already got or had. Aka Davey
I love Davey but he's a lazy trainer, most VFL players would lap him in a time trial. He's actually been better than expected this year on field and off. Byrnes and Rodan were meant to bring enthusiasm and energy as well as good leadership. The reports on Rodan's leadership preseason were very good. And Byrnes has actually contributed some what on field. Your bolded comments are potentially contradicting.

Some of our other recruits like Gillies and Pedersen were to go along with Dawes to improve us now.

I'm not sure what the guy above was aiming at saying we could've used our picks to improve our team more. Obviously we could've used pick 3 instead of Hogan but we can't negligently make bad deals for short term gain. Same said for Toumpas. At the same time we went mature age with Matt Jones, Terlich and Clisby. That's a decent chunk of mature age. And to me good mature age v fringe is one and the same.

We certainly could do with some decent fringe players as well like Richmond did with Houli, Grigg and Maric. But fringe players are dying out. With GWS and GC taking the best chunk of youngsters it now leaves fringe players as important. A lot of clubs are holding on to them and the Tigers recruited Chaplin, Knights, Lonegan, A Edwards, Petterd and Stevenson knowing that these recent drafts have been ravaged and the quality of kids just not there. You'll note everyone is talking up how good the Tigers top picks were but haven't heard a thing from the second and third rounders because the talent isn't there in large chunks. That's the GWS and GCS effect on the recent drafts.

As for Jackson asking for 2 PP's. He's just using the good old use car salesman trick and aiming high! We are horrible and have been handicapped by bad decisions but also by GWS and GC coming in. I'd say we deserve a PP whether that be pick 1 or pick 19 or somewhere in the middle. I don't want the PP for a free star player. I want it so we can safely add an extra number to the delisting pile and have a pick in the draft worth using. At this stage Melbourne still have 10-15 complete duds to turn over and you can't do that without having some quality to bring in because it effects your training and development.

Fact 1: AFL has safety nets to prevent clubs being uncompetitive
Fact 2: Melbourne is currently the least competitive team I have ever seen

Given this, I can't see a reason not to give them a PP. Their previous drafting/trading has nothing to do with it. They have simply been very poor for a long time.

They've had several low picks in the last few years, and it's done absolutely nothing to make them competitive, yet the solution is to give them another low pick? What they need are people who know how to develop the young talent they have.

Well next time dont comment then. Sorry i dont spend every second on bigfooty and go through all the old posts lol.
You don't have to spend every second of every day, just take 30 seconds to look next time. Is that so hard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to spend every second of every day, just take 30 seconds to look next time. Is that so hard?

Surprise surprise you are posting in a Melbourne thread but avoiding the issue again.

The rumours of a caveat that Melbourne will need to trade their PP, kind of like a GWS mini-draft, would not be all that bad if proven correct. But only that PP comes at the end of the first round and isn't going to cost us a spot in the draft order. Would hate for Melbourne to be given pick 2 and 3, have to trade 3, and they trade it to someone like Freo who take Tom Boyd.

I mean, why would we want to make melbourne stronger at the expense of the other clubs at the bottom. A month ago we were as bad as melbourne according to some, and all pre-season we heard from Melbourne supporters that we had the worst record in the second half of last year. We need the top-end talent too.

I don't want a priority pick, but we deserve one far more now than we did in 2009.

You can not be serious that is the most ludicrous statement I have heard, there is a stark difference between deserving and needing and there is no way that you deserve to gain a priority pick.

Your clubs current position is 100% of its own doing as a result of choices and decisions it made not because circumstance has conspired again it.

Surprise surprise you are posting in a Melbourne thread but avoiding the issue again.

The rumours of a caveat that Melbourne will need to trade their PP, kind of like a GWS mini-draft, would not be all that bad if proven correct. But only that PP comes at the end of the first round and isn't going to cost us a spot in the draft order. Would hate for Melbourne to be given pick 2 and 3, have to trade 3, and they trade it to someone like Freo who take Tom Boyd.

I mean, why would we want to make melbourne stronger at the expense of the other clubs at the bottom. A month ago we were as bad as melbourne according to some, and all pre-season we heard from Melbourne supporters that we had the worst record in the second half of last year. We need the top-end talent too.

Before you have a go at me, go and have a look at my previous posts. You will see that I have continually stated that 'we should NOT get a PP'. It should be scrapped and before you come on here will you usual shit why don't we wait and see if one is actually offered first.

Before you have a go at me, go and have a look at my previous posts. You will see that I have continually stated that 'we should NOT get a PP'. It should be scrapped and before you come on here will you usual shit why don't we wait and see if one is actually offered first.

I meant how you jump from thread to thread telling people what they can and can't post. Contribute or don't post. Simple. Half the time you just whine about people discussing your club - who happen to be a pretty big topic this year. Deal with it.

In think Melbourne should have the first 3 picks in the 2013 draft.
They are so bad, the AFL have no choice but to assist them in this way.
Then Melbourne could trade one of these picks for a gun midfielder.

This is the only way Melbourne will climb up the ladder.

I meant how you jump from thread to thread telling people what they can and can't post. Contribute or don't post. Simple. Half the time you just whine about people discussing your club - who happen to be a pretty big topic this year. Deal with it.

You get picked on a lot at primary school, don't you?
One was started a week ago, next time search first

Do we need multiple threads going on the same topic? A topic which should probably be on the drafts & tradings board or the Rumors board anyway?

Its funny for they ask the AFL for a priority pick half way through a season LOL. Its like they have already given up on winning anymore games this year. They are planning on losing more games. AFL is just rewarding more tanking.

You can not be serious that is the most ludicrous statement I have heard, there is a stark difference between deserving and needing and there is no way that you deserve to gain a priority pick.

Your clubs current position is 100% of its own doing as a result of choices and decisions it made not because circumstance has conspired again it.

Tell me which clubs current position isn't 100% of its own doing? Which club who has received priority picks didn't get them to help them out of a situation that they created?

None. Priority picks were put into the club to help these clubs out, and while they were a poorly thought out idea that didn't actually help teams overcome the core issues clubs in the most desire positions faced they were still put in place to go to teams who had put themselves in a shit position.

Its funny for they ask the AFL for a priority pick half way through a season LOL. Its like they have already given up on winning anymore games this year. They are planning on losing more games. AFL is just rewarding more tanking.
Yeah we're getting smashed every week by choice :rolleyes:

The old system went 2rd rd pick 1st yr of qualification, 1st rd pick second year.

Old system got scrapped for giving out too many PP's, and because teams tanked for them (Carlton included)

AFL implemented new system to avoid all the publicity centered around the PP system/tanking

AFL awards a 1st rd PP the first year PP's are available to a team linked to tanking, and possibly caught up in the whole PED saga as well

To me this scenario is unlikely to occur. Melbourne should be happy IF they keep the picks they have, not worrying about those they don't.

The ONLY ways I could see a PP working is if

a) It had to be traded for an experienced player
B) It was a second rd PP so it doesn't effect any clubs 1st rd selections

Or

C) If it is a 1st rd selection then it is a mid-rd selection, before the finalists 1st rd selections, and it is an upgrade of their 2nd rd pick so they get x2 top 15 selections but no 2nd rd selection (Access to a better quality kid, but not an extra selection)

The old system went 2rd rd pick 1st yr of qualification, 1st rd pick second year.

Old system got scrapped for giving out too many PP's, and because teams tanked for them (Carlton included)

AFL implemented new system to avoid all the publicity centered around the PP system/tanking

AFL awards a 1st rd PP the first year PP's are available to a team linked to tanking, and possibly caught up in the whole PED saga as well

To me this scenario is unlikely to occur. Melbourne should be happy IF they keep the picks they have, not worrying about those they don't.

The ONLY ways I could see a PP working is if

a) It had to be traded for an experienced player
B) It was a second rd PP so it doesn't effect any clubs 1st rd selections

Or

C) If it is a 1st rd selection then it is a mid-rd selection, before the finalists 1st rd selections, and it is an upgrade of their 2nd rd pick so they get x2 top 15 selections but no 2nd rd selection (Access to a better quality kid, but not an extra selection)

Why does not effecting any clubs first round selections have to do with the PP working to make Melbourne more competitive? Sure, you may prefer that, but other teams first round pics aren't really related to Melbournes performances are they?

And C is an upgrade of about 9 or 10, that's hardly going to help them any more than the current picks. It's more tokenistic than actually helpful.

I do like the idea of having to trade for an experienced player/s though, I think that has some real merit.

Tell me which clubs current position isn't 100% of its own doing? Which club who has received priority picks didn't get them to help them out of a situation that they created?

None. Priority picks were put into the club to help these clubs out, and while they were a poorly thought out idea that didn't actually help teams overcome the core issues clubs in the most desire positions faced they were still put in place to go to teams who had put themselves in a shit position.

You took my comment totally out of context, if Melbourne deserved a priority pick then this would only be deserved through circumstance that were outside of your control based on the high amount of high draft picks you have already received to date.

I do not back away from my comment that it is ludicrous to think that Melbourne deserve a priority pick as was said by your fellow supporter though I did not say you may not need one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back