Melbourne round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, who has this mail on Sylvia being out? I've heard nothing, McLean is possibly out, has been all through NAB cup. but Sylvia has played a lot of pre-season footy and I haven't heard a thing of him missing a game.

Someone also mentioned Travis Johnstone being out? Didn't hear that either.

If Sylvia and Johnno are out, and Bruce and McLean underdone, I'll put money on Carlton. Good value.

mojo31 said:
I have said a couple of times that I belive Bannister has something to offer at AFL level given an opportunity. However my thoughts are not shared by the coach and most of the match committee who have him a long way down from player 18 to 25. I will put it this way. If we had 6 last withdrawals from our best 22 I doubt even then he would make the 22.
He is rated as a reserve for the backup players. So he will not be playing anytime soon in the AFL.

Any truth to the rumour that a certain player won't be considered under any circumstances?

BlueWorld said:
Any truth to the rumour that a certain player won't be considered under any circumstances?

Yes. But it is not Bannister. Jordan is rated lowly rather than not rated at all. Once Denis makes up his mind on a player (Norman etc) its going to be a uphill struggle for them.

rick James said:
Also, who has this mail on Sylvia being out? I've heard nothing, McLean is possibly out, has been all through NAB cup. but Sylvia has played a lot of pre-season footy and I haven't heard a thing of him missing a game.

If Sylvia and Johnno are out, and Bruce and McLean underdone, I'll put money on Carlton. Good value.

TJ is not out as far as I know. I was just saying that for Carlton to break even in the midfield we would need him out plus 1 or 2 more omissions from Melb to have a strong chance. Travis is the player who worries me the most and 20 touches from him will kill us.

mojo31 said:
TJ is not out as far as I know. I was just saying that for Carlton to break even in the midfield we would need him out plus 1 or 2 more omissions from Melb to have a strong chance. Travis is the player who worries me the most and 20 touches from him will kill us.

Agree, looking at the midfields, and ignoring our advantage in depth, TJ is the player that really seperates the two teams. Bruce can do it as well (believe he kicked 7 from the midfield against your mob a while back) but he won't be fit anyway.

Your KPP forwards have more talent than ours though (ours were far more producctive last year, but had good delivery so that cancels out imo) and both backlines are below average. It will be our midfield class, and our small/medium forwards that should get us over the line.

As I said though, I'm not 100% convinced this is in the bag, which is strange considering your final position last year. I'd actually be more confdient playing the doggies, collingwood or essendon.

stokesy said:
Just play Livingston on Robertson, he is our full back.

Give him a job, tell him now so he can prepare.

Livo is usually good against Neitz though - you might be robbing peter to pay Paul with that one.

Remember, you'll need 3 tall backs to cover Neitz, Miller and either Holland or Johnson. Then you need to look at what's left height wise to cover Robbo.

Underrate Dutchy Holland at your peril. Many clubs have made the mistake of playing very inexperienced kids against him and he's kicked bags of 4 or 5.

Not exactly a good athlete, but a smart football player is Dutchy.

rick James said:

Yeahs sorry my bad. I said think I said Sylvia when I meant McClean. It's so easy to get confused when you draft the same player every draft ;)

Livo would have to take Neitz

If Miller plays forward i think Lance will take him

I'd say Teague will start on Robbo, possbily McGrath. i'd like to see Bannister get the go ahead on him but i'm not sure how much faith in him our couaching staff has.

If Walker will be used defensively then it might be on Davey

I'd say T-Bird will take the third tall in the Demon's forward line which at this stage i'd guess would be Holland

mojo31 said:
Yes. But it is not Bannister. Jordan is rated lowly rather than not rated at all. Once Denis makes up his mind on a player (Norman etc) its going to be a uphill struggle for them.

Who is this player that wouldn't be considered?
Longmuir? Davies?

here is how I would lineup against Melbourne

Carlton
B: Saddington Thornton Carazzo
HB: McGrath Whitnall Teague
C: Walker Kouta Simpson
HF: Fisher Waite Lappin
F: Betts Fevola Murphy
Ruck: French Stevens Bentick

Int: Russell, Scotland, McLaren, Houlihan.

thoughts?

macca69 said:
here is how I would lineup against Melbourne

Carlton
B: Saddington Thornton Carazzo
HB: McGrath Whitnall Teague
C: Walker Kouta Simpson
HF: Fisher Waite Lappin
F: Betts Fevola Murphy
Ruck: French Stevens Bentick

Int: Russell, Scotland, McLaren, Houlihan.

thoughts?

I do not think Saddington will play Macca and he is getting fit again after a small knee clean up. So less than 50% for him.
Walker will play HBF but agree with you he should play wing. Russell wont play it seems but I would have in my team. I think Livingston will play in front of Saddington for round 1.
Teague is unlikely to play.

I like your selections and arrangement better than what we the coach is likely to do come round 1 to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

av76 said:
Who is this player that wouldn't be considered?
Longmuir? Davies?

I had a few pms on this issue. I went over to TC and read the particular thread. If Electric Blue will not name them then neither will I as that would not not be very good on my behalf and drop he and his source and the player right in it. All I say is more than the player and coach knows and its reasonable well known by all the players and some of them are not happy with it.

Go through team selections this year and I would say you could have a pretty good guess.

mojo31 said:
I had a few pms on this issue. I went over to TC and read the particular thread. If Electric Blue will not name them then neither will I as that would not not be very good on my behalf and drop he and his source and the player right in it. All I say is more than the player and coach knows and its reasonable well known by all the players and some of them are not happy with it.

Go through team selections this year and I would say you could have a pretty good guess.

Can think of maybe 4 this could apply to. I guess it will become more obvious through the season as we see who gets selected.

I'm a bit worried to be honest about this. As rick_james said, we can beat Carlton but we don't match up on them that well.
If Carlton win this they will have to win a lot of the ball and get it down to their forwards. IMO its up to our backline to hold Carlton's forwards if we want to win this. Fev could kick 10 or 0.5 but he isn't my main worry as good as he is. Brad Fisher is a very good mark and Rivers out is a bit of a worry because he could take him, I would say Wheatley would go on him now. Waite is also another worry. He will be even better this year and I would want Carroll on him even though that would mean Nicho on Fev and that could be slaughter.
If Whitnall plays on Miller it will mean 10+ marks for Miller and plenty of kicks to Lance. Now this is where we need Miller not to kick a bag, but kick 2-3 because Whitnall would have no chance of keeping up with him and will be content to zone off and get rebound.
In the middle we should win IMO, too much class but if Carlton can apply enough pressure and play one on one they could trouble us (You did it to WCE for a half last year).
IMO I think Dees by 21 points but I would be far from surprised if Carlton won.

davey_magik said:
I'm a bit worried to be honest about this. As rick_james said, we can beat Carlton but we don't match up on them that well.
If Carlton win this they will have to win a lot of the ball and get it down to their forwards. IMO its up to our backline to hold Carlton's forwards if we want to win this. Fev could kick 10 or 0.5 but he isn't my main worry as good as he is. Brad Fisher is a very good mark and Rivers out is a bit of a worry because he could take him, I would say Wheatley would go on him now. Waite is also another worry. He will be even....

Some valid points. I think the performance of the Blues forwards will be Key. The Blues will probably go in with Fev, Waite, Fisher and Setanta as their KP forwards for this match. Be interesting to see who the Dees choose to line up on Setanta. Always going to be a hard matchup. I just find it hard to see the Dees defenders containing all these, however a lot depends on the midfield battle. I think the Dees have a midfield performance edge, but the Blues certainly have a lot more midfield talent but lack experience, and whether they can deliver is another matter. Good leadership from Kouta and Stevens is therefore crucial. No-one in the Dees forward line to be concerned about, apart from Robbo. Even though this guy’s only 184cm, he’s got a freakish natural goal kicking sense, and can easily bag 5+ goals. Will demand lots of attention. Going to be hard to win this one, Dees always play above themselves against us. :)

Any Carlton players of note missing?
For Melbourne McLean definitely won't play, and Rivers and Bruce are probably 50/50 though if Bruce makes it through the Sandy match tomorrow he will probably play.

SurreyBlue said:
fight, fight, fight ..... the only problem will be that these "four wheel drive snags from Demon land" wouldn't be much of a contest in that are.:D

P.I.C.K.E.T.T ? Neitz? Miller? Philthy Phil Read? Mclean? Moloney? Jamar? Whelan?
somehow i dont think the fight would be as one sided as i hope the game will be. Even then, i would take a loss in the fight for a narrow win. you?

o
mojo31 said:

Alrigt. And where would you rate this player? Would you think he's worthy of being in the 22, or maybe even the 18?

blues4flag said:
o
Alrigt. And where would you rate this player? Would you think he's worthy of being in the 22, or maybe even the 18?

It is not where they are rated that counts its that they have already been told they wont play AFL this year. No matter how hard they train or how well they play in the VFL. No matter what injuries and suspensions there are later on.

So that is what I do not agree with. They could be rated the last player on the list for all it matters just as long as the coach keeps an open mind to form, attitude, training and development. Thats all I would ask.

Nowis it 100% true that they wont play? Who knows. Maybe its all a mind game to get them to play better or work harder. Maybe its all a ruse to scare the other players. Only Denis will know for absolute certainity.

I would say this though. Denis is not one do this sort of thing as a bluff. He is old school and stubborn so once he makes his mind up thats pretty much it.

mojo31 said:
It is not where they are rated that counts its that they have already been told they wont play AFL this year. No matter how hard they train or how well they play in the VFL. No matter what injuries and suspensions there are later on.

So that is what I do not agree with. They could be rated the last player on the list for all it matters just as long as the coach keeps an open mind to form, attitude, training and development. Thats all I would ask.

Nowis it 100% true that they wont play? Who knows. Maybe its all a mind game to get them to play better or work harder. Maybe its all a ruse to scare the other players. Only Denis will know for absolute certainity.

I would say this though. Denis is not one do this sort of thing as a bluff. He is old school and stubborn so once he makes his mind up thats pretty much it.

agree with your thoughts - though would be interested in where you would rate the player on the list? - ie 20-25 (ie fringe), 25-30, 30-35, 35+?

For mine Pagan seems to have always had this habit of playing 'favourites'

mojo31 said:

If I was told that, the only thing it'll motivate me to do is give Pagan a few punches to the head. I can't understand why a coach would say that sort of thing to player. :thumbsdown:

Did he say it as a result of bad form or was the player disobiedient/did something to ******** of Pagan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back