melbournes picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good. Jones is a hard running midfielder, something melbourne probably need. Also Clint Bartram will be a hand pickup aswell.

Every Melbourne fan seemed to want Nathan Jones, so that has worked out well.

Can't really comment on the other recruits, however Simon Buckley sounds like he could be one to watch (tall and very fast).

I have faith in the great man CAC.

Everyone talks about best available vs recruiting for need. There is a third way. Recruit players that best suit your game plan.

Under Daniher plan A has always been take the ball out to wing/HBF and then switch it back into the centre to Jeff White and a batch of BP / HBF running flat-chat through the corridor. Whether it has been Febey, Tingay, Yze or Brown the Dees have always had 20+ possesion backpocket players.

Jones, Bartram and Neville are all that type of player. Those three kids have probably ended up at the very best club for their style of play. All are HBF types who are prepared to tuck the ball under an arm, run hard and have the ability to pop-up in the forward-50 and have a shot on goal.

Buckley is going to be an awkward one. He is a bit of a speculative pick. Wonderful athlete but not much of a footballer in truth. Most similar to a Paul Wheatley in that he is not really a KP player, nor is he really a genuine midfielder. After teaching him how to play finding him a position will be as difficult.

Im very dissapointed with Buckley, no good from what I've seen, Im happy with Jones and Bartram though, havnt heard of Neville

Very happy with Jones,Bartram and Neville all have a touch of pace, are tough and run hard. Not a fan of Buckley at all agree with Weaver's comments he is an athlete not a footballer. Cant believe Melbourne and the rest of the competition overlooked Luke McEntee young developing ruckman who has pace, has a great leap and plenty of scope to improve I ranked him at 11 in my rankings.

I think our recruiting really wasn't up to scratch. While Jones will be great, we still failed to recruit the right players to patch up our fast decaying forwardline. Forwards don't just appear overnight and unless we have something in the seconds, I am not sure we have made much progress. Four onballers in an already young potent forward line?

dee_molisher said:
I think our recruiting really wasn't up to scratch. While Jones will be great, we still failed to recruit the right players to patch up our fast decaying forwardline. Forwards don't just appear overnight and unless we have something in the seconds, I am not sure we have made much progress. Four onballers in an already young potent forward line?
Hmm. Try Michael Newton, Lynden Dunn and Nick Smith as potential key position forwards, all drafted in the last three years.

I don't think we failed to recruit the right type of player at all.

bigfootball said:
Im very dissapointed with Buckley, no good from what I've seen, Im happy with Jones and Bartram though, havnt heard of Neville

c'mon guys! i mean you never know what he could turn out??? i remember when we got bruce everyone was fuming because they reckon he was to skinny and could not play! but now it has turned out well. im pretty happy we got this fellow a very passionate supporter for the dees and good on by reaching his dream on been able to pull on the red and blue!!

i found a profile on him http://sandringhamdragons.footballvictoria.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=91458

and the other draftees im very very happy with! and job well done by CAC!! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dazzledavey36 said:
c'mon guys! i mean you never know what he could turn out??? i remember when we got bruce everyone was fuming because they reckon he was to skinny and could not play! but now it has turned out well. im pretty happy we got this fellow a very passionate supporter for the dees and good on by reaching his dream on been able to pull on the red and blue!!

i found a profile on him http://sandringhamdragons.footballvictoria.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=91458

and the other draftees im very very happy with! and job well done by CAC!! :)

I agree, The Dee's are looking good inrelation to our next batch of Forwards.

The Reverand just needs to give some a bit of game time in 2006.

bigfootball said:

And what would you know pal? Hey? I know Simon Buckley and its absolutely fantastic that he has an opportunity. You dont get put on an AFL list if your no good. Your a ********e* maggo* for saying that. How would you know, hey? Can you play football? Are you on an AFL list? Hey? Shut your face and think before you start mouthing off

demondavey said:
And what would you know pal? Hey? I know Simon Buckley and its absolutely fantastic that he has an opportunity. You dont get put on an AFL list if your no good. Your a ********e* maggo* for saying that. How would you know, hey? Can you play football? Are you on an AFL list? Hey? Shut your face and think before you start mouthing off

by the sounds of it you must be best mates with him right?? but im excited we got him i reckon he could turn out a bit like steve johnson but injury free! with some pace and pure skill on him i think he can become a great player.

id like some news on this neville kid??

mjr_42 said:
Hmm. Try Michael Newton, Lynden Dunn and Nick Smith as potential key position forwards, all drafted in the last three years.

I don't think we failed to recruit the right type of player at all.

My point. Smith 3 years, Newton still unknown as well as Dunn.

Simon Buckleys going to be a ********en star and crush the opposition. He will massacre koutifidies, bite Llyods ears of, hammer Barry Hall's head into a goal post and smash Jonathon Brown's teeth out.

So stop whinging Melbourne supporters and cheer him on.

demondavey said:

isn't that what big footy is all about?

dee_molisher said:
My point. Smith 3 years, Newton still unknown as well as Dunn.
Smith is useless, but the other 2 are in the exact same boat as any tall drafted this year. Both were bottom age when drafted.

I agree with weaver in terms of the types of players Melbourne picked to suit the game plan plus all of them fit the athlete category.

demondavey said:
Touchy! Good on ya for sticking up for a mate and I agree he's been given a great opportunity.

But, I will correct you and say players who are no good do get drafted and two years later they are delisted. The hard work starts now for the ones picked yesterday. Go back to 2003, Billy Morrison, Llane Spaanderman, Alex Gilmour, Luke Peel, Iszac Thompson, Kyle Archibald....or should we go back earlier and look at Luke Molan?

goalpie said:
Simon Buckleys going to be a ********en star and crush the opposition. He will massacre koutifidies, bite Llyods ears of, hammer Barry Hall's head into a goal post and smash Jonathon Brown's teeth out.

So stop whinging Melbourne supporters and cheer him on.

try telling that to the other melbourne supporters who dont get there way!!

yea stop whinging about the kid some of us havent sen him yet so its way to early to judge gim and in my opinion he is gonna be a good player

demondavey said:

Take it easy mate, everyone is entitled to their opinions and mine as well as many others is that Simon Buckley can consider himself very lucky to be drafted...... Hopefuly Melbourne can teach him to find the ball, cause thats whats footy is all about!!

Remove this Banner Ad

melbournes picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back