Prediction Membrey in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey, was gonna ask in the preseason thread but wondered if a new thread would be better.

What are your predictions for Membrey’s upcoming season? He’s our best tall option, despite being medium sized. He usually takes the second best defender and makes them pay when they don’t give him the attention he deserves.

Without Bruce there to take the best tall defender, How will Membrey fair?

Will Ryder/King be enough to occupy the defence and let him play his natural game, or will he be forced to deal with closer attention? Or will his deceptively high leap, strong hands and straight kick make him capable of beating the full backs?

Will he be our leading goal kicker again? Or is it someone else’s next season?

Thoughts?

Hey, was gonna ask in the preseason thread but wondered if a new thread would be better.

What are your predictions for Membrey’s upcoming season? He’s our best tall option, despite being medium sized. He usually takes the second best defender and makes them pay when they don’t give him the attention he deserves.

Without Bruce there to take the best tall defender, How will Membrey fair?

Will Ryder/King be enough to occupy the defence and let him play his natural game, or will he be forced to deal with closer attention? Or will his deceptively high leap, strong hands and straight kick make him capable of beating the full backs?

Will he be our leading goal kicker again? Or is it someone else’s next season?

Thoughts?

Baring injury looks certain to lead goalkicking. Interesting how the opposition mange it. Do they ignore Ryder and King because of age and inexperience. I suppose they keep their structure so it will depend how we use him and the other forwards.

I think a lot will depend on how we establish Ryder/King early on - if we make it impossible for teams to ignore them, Membrey will feast.

Pretty sure our patterns and structure will look very different in 2019, particularly if Hill is busting out of the middle and putting it on the boot to those guys leading out.

Really hoping that the "bomb it in and hope we can crumb a groundball" strategy gets put to bed - we should be dragging defenders back inside our attacking 50, and trying to get the jump on them.

Just 2.2c w/GST :)

Bish

with a few avenues to goal now i can see Members leading the goals again but i would hope there would be a few just a couple behind him.. i think Roma as a big differance to our forward line when he will be resting forward ... he would be a hell of a bloke to match up on and if King is in there as well as members it would streatch most defensive units

Wouldn't be surprised to see a role change for Membrey as the year progresses. May see him playing more as a high half forward swapping with Battle as the athletic third tall. We may find ourselves with a team of multiple 30+ goal kickers. Just as long as the scores are winning scores, I'll be okay wherever Membrey plays.

I’m expecting big things from Membrey next season . With the possibility of King or Ryder or even both playing along side him means suddenly the big defenders will have to take those boys instead . Membreys best year was when we still had Bruce and Roo playing well up forward meaning Membreys was usually getting the third choice defender . These days I don’t think any third choice defender could manager him . Plus there is a possibility that Battle and Membrey might be given the ok to run all over the forward line to confuse and tire out the lesser defenders . If Battle keeps his form and plays at chf suddenly our forward line is looking super strong . Hard to match up against Membrey , Battle , Marshall or Ryder , maybe King for some games , then throw in Parker , Kent , Lonie , Long and who knows who else then we might be able to start kicking winning scores again .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m expecting big things from Membrey next season . With the possibility of King or Ryder or even both playing along side him means suddenly the big defenders will have to take those boys instead . Membreys best year was when we still had Bruce and Roo playing well up forward meaning Membreys was usually getting the third choice defender . These days I don’t think any third choice defender could manager him . Plus there is a possibility that Battle and Membrey might be given the ok to run all over the forward line to confuse and tire out the lesser defenders . If Battle keeps his form and plays at chf suddenly our forward line is looking super strong . Hard to match up against Membrey , Battle , Marshall or Ryder , maybe King for some games , then throw in Parker , Kent , Lonie , Long and who knows who else then we might be able to start kicking winning scores again .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree.
Membrey is a great mark, but a good taller defender can out mark, or spoil him. But how many teams have that guy for their third.

I just hope we get our forward structures right. In the past we all too often had our talls practically bumping into each other. We need to spread them apart, keep their defence thin.
All of King, Ryder, and Marshall, are all good enough that if you don't play someone half decent on them they can have a day out.
That may well leave Membrey able to win a lot more marking contests.

( I just watched the 2017 Membrey highlights video, and the main thing i got from it, is that i want Gresham back in the forward line ).

If Saints were playing against a team like gold coast, with Membrey in it. I think Howard and Carlisle would need to take the 2 meter guys.
Roberton isn't the sort of player to stop Membrey, you'd probably need to bring in another tall like Battle or Marsh.

It would be interesting to see what opposition sides do If we line up wih say Skunk King and Ryder down forward. Could make us quite tough to match up on if all 3 guys can hold their own. Ryder will need a bigger defender on him and King is a giant as well. Means skunk might get off the leash a bit against a medium defender and can use is elite marking skills against those medium intercepting types if that's who ends up on him.

I think with those 3 listed and Marshall and Battle in the mix we will create some headaches for opponents given the size/speed mix of guys we can roll out

It would be interesting to see what opposition sides do If we line up wih say Skunk King and Ryder down forward. Could make us quite tough to match up on if all 3 guys can hold their own. Ryder will need a bigger defender on him and King is a giant as well. Means skunk might get off the leash a bit against a medium defender and can use is elite marking skills against those medium intercepting types if that's who ends up on him.

I think with those 3 listed and Marshall and Battle in the mix we will create some headaches for opponents given the size/speed mix of guys we can roll out
A fair bit of ifs there. Unless king and Ryder go very well in the practice matches the opposition are going to be looking at membery as our main forward. And that’s because he will be with the stupidity of losing bruce. You only stretch sides with height if those tall players are good otherwise the opposition don’t care. King will eventually become a very good player but it’s expecting to much it will be next year after hardly playing for 2 years.

A fair bit of ifs there. Unless king and Ryder go very well in the practice matches the opposition are going to be looking at membery as our main forward. And that’s because he will be with the stupidity of losing bruce. You only stretch sides with height if those tall players are good otherwise the opposition don’t care. King will eventually become a very good player but it’s expecting to much it will be next year after hardly playing for 2 years.

I'm inclined to think the real key is going to be our crumbers - if our bigs can be in the contests, and get it to ground effectively where they cannot mark, there should be a feast for the smalls if they want it enough.

So many times last year the ball would get to ground, and the only jerseys were opposition - our smalls were often invisible as the ball rebounded through 5-6 passes back to the opponent's scoring zone.

Got to get the ball locked in for a stoppage, if not sharked for a shot or pass, more often. That in itself would improve our conversion immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm inclined to think the real key is going to be our crumbers - if our bigs can be in the contests, and get it to ground effectively where they cannot mark, there should be a feast for the smalls if they want it enough.

So many times last year the ball would get to ground, and the only jerseys were opposition - our smalls were often invisible as the ball rebounded through 5-6 passes back to the opponent's scoring zone.

Got to get the ball locked in for a stoppage, if not sharked for a shot or pass, more often. That in itself would improve our conversion immensely.

Gresham is our only good crumber, last year he was busy doing what Jack Steven normally did.

Let’s not kid ourselves Membrey is going to get the best defender every week. I’d like to see King get on the park first before locking him in for 30-40 goals a year like everyone seems to be doing.

Let’s not kid ourselves Membrey is going to get the best defender every week. I’d like to see King get on the park first before locking him in for 30-40 goals a year like everyone seems to be doing.

Couldnt agree with this more.
king may become a generational talent but it wont be in 2020.
Membrey will lead our goal kicking again in the 40-50 range

Not necessarily.

Adelaide won't put 197cm Daniel Talia on 188cm Membrey if we have two 195cm plus forwards running around as well. Same with Brisbane and Harris Andrews, Collingwood and Darcy Moore, GWS and Phil Davis etc.

And I dont think anyone is expecting 30-40 goals out of King. Most people are theorising that he should be able to kick 1 goal a game, but his presence of having to take a good defender due to his height and ability should provide a better match up for Membrey instead of him being outsized by his opponent like he continually was this year.

Not necessarily.

Adelaide won't put 197cm Daniel Talia on 188cm Membrey if we have two 195cm plus forwards running around as well. Same with Brisbane and Harris Andrews, Collingwood and Darcy Moore, GWS and Phil Davis etc.

And I dont think anyone is expecting 30-40 goals out of King. Most people are theorising that he should be able to kick 1 goal a game, but his presence of having to take a good defender due to his height and ability should provide a better match up for Membrey instead of him being outsized by his opponent like he continually was this year.

If MKing can get on the paddock and do roughly what his brother did last year (17 goals in 14 games - or around 25-27 goals over 22 games), it would be enough to attract a decent tall defender, just for the threat that he breaks out and kicks 4 or 5 if they do not. Kinda like you're always going to stick a good tall on Joe Daniher, even though though McDonald-Tipungwuti and Stringer are arguably more damaging. You just know that if you cut corners on Daniher, he will take advantage of it.

Sure, everyone knows we'll be looking for 40-50 goals out of Skunk, and he will be targeted, but any legitimate perceived threat out of our genuine bigs (Ryder/Marshall/King) will drive his matchups more in our favour.

Bish

Not necessarily.

Membery will get the best back suited to membery. If he 185 or 195 it won’t matter unless Ryder or king are dangerous which is a huge ask.

Having 3 marking forwards who are all mobile will be a plus this season - Membery / King / Battle

Ryder is a top class ruckman and can kick goals , however I feel Battle and King will be far more effective with cameo's from Ryder and Marshall at times.
But of course it all comes down on how King and Battle play.

Not necessarily.

Members is a very tough one for opposition to match up on. Bombers usually have issues with him as well, they try Hurley on him, but he is too quick for him and then they try someone like Saad on him and he is too strong in the air.

I didn’t even mention any number of goals in my post?

just

Certainly don’t expect him to be a star right away - more interested to see what sort of mis matches we can - for instance if we play Brisbane and the best defender Harris Andrews goes to Skunk what do the other match ups look like?

Adams on Ryder or Marshal and Gardiner on King?

I didn’t even mention any number of goals in my post?

just

Certainly don’t expect him to be a star right away - more interested to see what sort of mis matches we can - for instance if we play Brisbane and the best defender Harris Andrews goes to Skunk what do the other match ups look like?

Adams on Ryder or Marshal and Gardiner on King?
Most likely. Those 2 have more experience than our two as forwards. I reckon they would think those match ups suit. It all changes once king proves himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Membrey in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back