Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

what i think i hate most about press conferences is that no journalist will ask the genuinely tough questions. ask him about selection choices, ask him about regressing back to what we do when we don't know what to do (bomb it long to a disadvantageous contest for our forwards, or kick it to the shortest player in the forward line). i was a toddler when we were good, and that was when brad scott player football, he was meant to be a hardcase right? why the **** is he coddling the geriatrics who're unable to perform well.

1) he talks about the intangibles; pressure etc. sure, okay, but it begs to ask why he doesn't chose to play any players who provide pressure (such as ADJ, who mightn't be the biggest contributor but he provides that pressure which we desperately need

2) he talks about flexibility and versatility. i can accept this, but how much has it actually worked? he's (essentially) unsuccessfully spent a season making nic martin into a worse 2023 nick daicos, and for what? aggressively mediocre transitional play and limited defensive capabilities (same as naicos) and worse disposal (generally speaking)

3) effort. "the thing about effort is marginal" (direct quote). our effort in the past 20 years has been atrocious. our best efforts are spread between about 4 players at the best of times, everyone else is coasting. the club breeds this mindset of complacency because campaigners are deemed "almost" undroppable and get exposed every single ****ing week by the same things. our effort has been lazy all season, and it'll only get worse.
---------------------

a (surprising no one) issue for us across this season has been the lack of defensive accountability from a ton of players. how many times have we been burnt on turnover because everyone is a lazy prick who won't try hard. i'd wager most because we're piss easy to score against. i swear or defense is almost incapable of playing well at this point. plodders like keays and shamen kick bags against us every single week because we're lazy and selfish pricks.

we also have arguably the most dysfunctional forward line in the league. langford is receiving actual attention now from actual key defenders and can't handle it. he's also probably playing injured. wright is about as soft as warm butter. stringer is a plodder who's only good against shit truck teams (and even then, he's not good). the only player who seems to actually make an effort is someone with less than 10 games of experience. he passes the eye test, the rest don't.

our list make up is trash. we have too many players who do the same thing and are incapable of expanding their capabilites. menzie was okay last year in that he kicked just under a goal a game. he's a pressure forward with no ball skills, no leg speed, no tackling ability. kelly is a dumb plodder who's incapable of making a decision quickly, heppell is old and provides "leadership" in the same sense that a dog is smart because it won't bite it's owner. laverde plays a good game every so often but still leaks goals every single game. he's so easily outmarked that i'd take a bush league player over him at this point.

it's disheartening to see him constantly pick the same group of players who're rubbish to play week in week out expecting something to change. i can't imagine how demoralising it is for some of the youth to try their asses off every single week and get heppell or kelly picked before them because... they just need to be okay!!

brad scott needs to make the tough calls this week. it was mentioned that he had that tough chat with dyson last week... then picked him again? lol. what's the point of the tough chat if you just pick him straight back in. it's unbelievable. he needs to retire and **** off from the club, so do all the middling campaigners.
/melt.

So you rate our recruiting from the last 10 years then ?
No one knows what we are building because the list is so devoid of smart footballers and leadership it is not funny.
Yes he has made some dumb selections but we are really only talking about maybe 3 young players who have shown consistency in the VFL that have not got a game .
Bryan / Roberts / Hayes .
If that is the extent of players pushing for selection then it says a lot .

Dunno - We keep trying to take a shortcut to success without having a good foundation first; it's what kept us in the top half of the bottom eight. I look at what North are building and they have so many holes in their list too, but their top end tatlent seems so much better than ours, so yeah, recruiting is an issue too.

Really given Scott the benefit of the doubt for awhile. And I still believe he was/is the right choice and this year falling in a heap again doesn't change that. Pre-season we were not finals-bound. I would have been happy with just being outside the 8 so long as the general trend of the year was better - and it has been. It only feels more disappointing because of the unexected position we got ourselves into.

That being said, I have to agree - Scott needs to smarten up with selections. All this talk from him of "we are still experimenting with our side/don't know what our best 22 look like yet" and you never will if you keep picking the same team. There are just too many under-performing who keep getting chances. How will we know what the best side is if guy's are languishing in the VFL like Hayes and Roberts who are constantly overlooked? And even if you bring them in and they don't set the world alight - then you know and have info when it comes to shaping the list. Not to mention lighting a fire under players that get dropped that their spot isn't safe. That they need to lift or getting dropped isn't just talk.

Must go back to the basics next week. First to the ball, win the hard ball, give off first option, lower eyes and hit-up in forward 50, run to support, shepherd, block, and tackle. If we lose because our structure is ****ed I don’t give a shit. The process is not important next week, only the intent.

Dunno - We keep trying to take a shortcut to success without having a good foundation first; it's what kept us in the top half of the bottom eight. I look at what North are building and they have so many holes in their list too, but their top end tatlent seems so much better than ours, so yeah, recruiting is an issue too.
I will be looking to see what they do this year . Last year was the first Draft / FA period they ( Scott / McPherson / Vozzo / Rosa ) had full control of as a group. North have top end talent because they have finished bottom 3 for 6 years and the AFL has given them a couple of handouts.
The draft we had 3 top 10 picks in was a draft where there was no under 18 footy in Victoria .
As far as short cuts . Yes we have taken a few in the past.
Last year Goldstein was insurance as they knew Draper was going to miss a chunk of pre season and Phillips retired.
McKay has had some issues lately as the teams form has been an issue but he will give us a decent number of years service.
Duursma has been what we have needed.
Gresham is a question mark. Thought he was doin a decent job early but has not given a lot in the last 5 weeks.
The thing is we had a line in the sand moment in 2020 but have managed to get limited impact from going to that draft and now throw in Tsatas at pick 5 who still needs time to develop physically despite being two years in and has a kicking issue that they may not solve.
Four top ten picks that all have serious question marks on them that the Coach and leaders of the football department other than RFK had nothing to do with. That is the issue.

Pretty blunt in the presser. Talked a lack of effort and intent labelling it poor and third rate. If last week wasn’t enough to swing the axe then this week he must.
pretty blunt huh? just like the sword he wields at the selection table!

I will be looking to see what they do this year . Last year was the first Draft / FA period they ( Scott / McPherson / Vozzo / Rosa ) had full control of as a group. North have top end talent because they have finished bottom 3 for 6 years and the AFL has given them a couple of handouts.
The draft we had 3 top 10 picks in was a draft where there was no under 18 footy in Victoria .
Last year Goldstein was insurance as they knew Draper was going to miss a chunk of pre season and Phillips retired.
McKay has had some issues lately as the teams form has been an issue but he will give us a decent number of years service.
Gresham is a question mark. Thought he was doin a decent job early but has not given a lot in the last 5 weeks.
The thing is we had a line in the sand moment in 2020 but have managed to get limited impact from going to that draft and now throw in Tsatas at pick 5 who still needs time to develop physically despite being two years in and has a kicking issue that they may not solve.
Four top ten picks that all have serious question marks on them that the Coach and leaders of the football department other than RFK had nothing to do with. That is the issue.
I touched on this in another thread but the development coaches missing out on some of the top draftees prime years through injury (both impact and soft tissue) has caused a much bigger ripple effect than I had thought previously.

Who was the last top pick to come in and play 30 games at AFL &/or VFL level in there first two years? Hobbs? He's trending ok but before that? cbf looking but wouldn't be pretty reading

Must go back to the basics next week. First to the ball, win the hard ball, give off first option, lower eyes and hit-up in forward 50, run to support, shepherd, block, and tackle. If we lose because our structure is ****ed I don’t give a shit. The process is not important next week, only the intent.
this is why I turned off tonight. I don't care about losing but the way we have been getting beaten for long periods infuriates me. I don't care if it's every few weeks but it happens a few times a game. Its embarrassing

I touched on this in another thread but the development coaches missing out on some of the top draftees prime years through injury (both impact and soft tissue) has caused a much bigger ripple effect than I had thought previously.

Who was the last top pick to come in and play 30 games at AFL &/or VFL level in there first two years? Hobbs? He's trending ok but before that? cbf looking but wouldn't be pretty reading
Lack of development spend has probably hurt Perkins and Cox to some degree as well. Has only been this season where we have had a full squad of development coaches.

what i think i hate most about press conferences is that no journalist will ask the genuinely tough questions. ask him about selection choices, ask him about regressing back to what we do when we don't know what to do (bomb it long to a disadvantageous contest for our forwards, or kick it to the shortest player in the forward line). i was a toddler when we were good, and that was when brad scott player football, he was meant to be a hardcase right? why the **** is he coddling the geriatrics who're unable to perform well.

1) he talks about the intangibles; pressure etc. sure, okay, but it begs to ask why he doesn't chose to play any players who provide pressure (such as ADJ, who mightn't be the biggest contributor but he provides that pressure which we desperately need

2) he talks about flexibility and versatility. i can accept this, but how much has it actually worked? he's (essentially) unsuccessfully spent a season making nic martin into a worse 2023 nick daicos, and for what? aggressively mediocre transitional play and limited defensive capabilities (same as naicos) and worse disposal (generally speaking)

3) effort. "the thing about effort is marginal" (direct quote). our effort in the past 20 years has been atrocious. our best efforts are spread between about 4 players at the best of times, everyone else is coasting. the club breeds this mindset of complacency because campaigners are deemed "almost" undroppable and get exposed every single ****ing week by the same things. our effort has been lazy all season, and it'll only get worse.
---------------------

a (surprising no one) issue for us across this season has been the lack of defensive accountability from a ton of players. how many times have we been burnt on turnover because everyone is a lazy prick who won't try hard. i'd wager most because we're piss easy to score against. i swear or defense is almost incapable of playing well at this point. plodders like keays and shamen kick bags against us every single week because we're lazy and selfish pricks.

we also have arguably the most dysfunctional forward line in the league. langford is receiving actual attention now from actual key defenders and can't handle it. he's also probably playing injured. wright is about as soft as warm butter. stringer is a plodder who's only good against shit truck teams (and even then, he's not good). the only player who seems to actually make an effort is someone with less than 10 games of experience. he passes the eye test, the rest don't.

our list make up is trash. we have too many players who do the same thing and are incapable of expanding their capabilites. menzie was okay last year in that he kicked just under a goal a game. he's a pressure forward with no ball skills, no leg speed, no tackling ability. kelly is a dumb plodder who's incapable of making a decision quickly, heppell is old and provides "leadership" in the same sense that a dog is smart because it won't bite it's owner. laverde plays a good game every so often but still leaks goals every single game. he's so easily outmarked that i'd take a bush league player over him at this point.

it's disheartening to see him constantly pick the same group of players who're rubbish to play week in week out expecting something to change. i can't imagine how demoralising it is for some of the youth to try their asses off every single week and get heppell or kelly picked before them because... they just need to be okay!!

brad scott needs to make the tough calls this week. it was mentioned that he had that tough chat with dyson last week... then picked him again? lol. what's the point of the tough chat if you just pick him straight back in. it's unbelievable. he needs to retire and **** off from the club, so do all the middling campaigners.
/melt.
go through my posting history and its been echoes for years.

AFL sports media is not ready for the truth. They are still to immature to actually deal with the real answers and issues.

Imagine Scott saying "yeah, Peter Wright was crap tonight"

imagine the papers tomorrow "2MP a bomber no more" and the article itself will just be phrases and innuendo of what said journalist can twist to manipulate somewhat into what the headline grabber was

Lack of development spend has probably hurt Perkins and Cox to some degree as well. Has only been this season where we have had a full squad of development coaches.
Do you rate our development coaches? I know the playing pedigree can often be misleading to a coaches capabilities (see Clarko, Ken Hinkley).

Great post.
My issue is the contract parish received.
The contract McGrath received.
Joe Menzies is not an afl standard small forward yet is contracted for next year.
Massimo was not identified as worth keeping yet is better with ball in hand than anyone we have.
Scott and co have had input in McGrath, parish, Menzies and Massimo decisions.
What will they decide with stringer, Heppell and shiel?
Will they look to offload parish?
Time to completely bury the past!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go through my posting history and its been echoes for years.

AFL sports media is not ready for the truth. They are still to immature to actually deal with the real answers and issues.

Imagine Scott saying "yeah, Peter Wright was crap tonight"

imagine the papers tomorrow "2MP a bomber no more" and the article itself will just be phrases and innuendo of what said journalist can twist to manipulate somewhat into what the headline grabber was
it's just the nature of the game, it's a boys club, you don't want to sacrifice your livelihood for it

it's just the nature of the game, it's a boys club, you don't want to sacrifice your livelihood for it
loved the clip that Simpson gave the WA media. They are an abomination (AFL media)

watch them absolutely go to town on us this week as the easiest of easy target they've had all year

Great post.
My issue is the contract parish received.
The contract McGrath received.
Joe Menzies is not an afl standard small forward yet is contracted for next year.
Massimo was not identified as worth keeping yet is better with ball in hand than anyone we have.
Scott and co have had input in McGrath, parish, Menzies and Massimo decisions.
What will they decide with stringer, Heppell and shiel?
Will they look to offload parish?
Time to completely bury the past!
Agree a few long term contracts look dodgy for sure. They have made some choices I would not have.
I am interested in the end of the year as Heppell / Stringer / Kelly / Shiel should be gone.
I doubt they offload Parish but I am not adverse to it.

Agree a few long term contracts look dodgy for sure. They have made some choices I would not have.
I am interested in the end of the year as Heppell / Stringer / Kelly / Shiel should be gone.
If you or ydc55 are making a tough list choice, what would you be looking at doing? Parish for a top 20 pick?Reid for whatever you can get?

If we continue to capitulate this year our only salvation will be draft leverage and trade-bait. It might be time to put all players in the table who aren’t our captain or future key forward star. Ridley was the other untouchable but I’m twitching a bit there too.

If you or ydc55 are making a tough list choice, what would you be looking at doing? Parish for a top 20 pick?Reid for whatever you can get?
I would have traded Parish before the last contract so you know I am not against that .
Reid I can live with his last contract year.
I will go further.
Stringer is expendable.
If there was another ruck choice I would trade Draper.

Surely it's a "bring your mouthguards to training" kind of week.

They can do without game plan for a week, it's time to find some uncompromising intent.
mouth guards won’t do shit, they need to front up like a hockey goalie to feel properly protected.

sure they won’t be able to run, but they don’t anyway so baby steps i guess

It's tough, whilst I talk emotional shit in the preview threads for a bit of silly fun, I do agree we need to be patient, but I'm also annoyed by another top-of-the-bottom-eight finish which seems like. It's the worst place to be if you don't already have a foundation to build from. I feel we are still too scared to properly bottom out and have been for 20 years.

But at the same time, I honestly think we only have 1 great player and that's Zach Merret. Others are good, but no one else is great, many are overrated. We also lack good to solid players who are elite at a role; for example, at Collingwood, Mihocek isn't an elite player by any measure, but he is elite at competing, rarely gets outmarked and brings the ball to the ground if he doesn't get it himself.

Or maybe we don't know how to allow players to excel in a role they are good at.

this is why I turned off tonight. I don't care about losing but the way we have been getting beaten for long periods infuriates me. I don't care if it's every few weeks but it happens a few times a game. Its embarrassing
After last week I’m completely bemused by the absence of contested ball players like Setterfield, Hobbs, and Tsatas. Those 3 must play next week to make a point about the way we need to hit the contest.

I would have traded Parish before the last contract so you know I am not against that .
Reid I can live with his last contract year.
I will go further.
Stringer is expendable.
If there was another ruck choice I would trade Draper.
Feels like the issue is we have the 18th-best ruckman in the league... and we'd just be trading in the hope that the 19th best ruckman per se, can step up a level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back