Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not saying to sack him.

I’m saying I want to see more from him than the dialogue about effort. I have question marks over his ability to implement a modern style of play that will stack up against the best. The way we concede goals and the level of confusion when defending transition is really concerning for me.
So you have confidence in the current list’s ability to perform a modern game plan?
I think it is personal as much as game plan. Both need refinement.

So you have confidence in the current list’s ability to perform a modern game plan?
I think it is personal as much as game plan. Both need refinement.
No I agree with you on that. I don’t think we have the personnel to sustain it. I think Martin, Durham, Duursma help. In fact it makes me reflect on 3 years ago how far off it were then and the improvements made. I think Rosa gets it.

My point of view is that he should have built the foundation of effort and professionalism required by year 3. That should be established and now we work on embedding a contemporary style of play.

No I agree with you on that. I don’t think we have the personnel to sustain it. I think Martin, Durham, Duursma help. In fact it makes me reflect on 3 years ago how far off it were then and the improvements made. I think Rosa gets it.

My point of view is that he should have built the foundation of effort and professionalism required by year 3. That should be established and now we work on embedding a contemporary style of play.
What are you basing that on? We’ve had a merry go round of coaches over the last decade and they’ve all identified the same problem but been unable to fix it. Now you’re saying after two years that Scott has had long enough to achieve something no other coach could manage?

We have a trash list but you’re still judging the coach by his ability to implement a modern game plan? A modern game plan that is based on defensive efforts, something the players have steadfastly refused to accept for over a decade?

Do not agree at all and I did not say good football. My view is we did play better football for a good part.

Apologies I read "played pretty well" as a synonym for good.

I think effort and a professional base has been established. It is now they sort the players and they will expand the game plan. The fact that they say we need to be better covers all areas.

What are you basing that on? We’ve had a merry go round of coaches over the last decade and they’ve all identified the same problem but been unable to fix it. Now you’re saying after two years that Scott has had long enough to achieve something no other coach could manage?

We have a trash list but you’re still judging the coach by his ability to implement a modern game plan? A modern game plan that is based on defensive efforts, something the players have steadfastly refused to accept for over a decade?
I think I’ve made it pretty clear in my posts that I believe two years is long enough to ensure players are aware of what effort and standards are required to be an AFL footballer.

yeah some fair points there, maybe its Scott copping the brunt of my displeasure but its a Club wide issue over the last two years.

The one thing I can definitely point at Scott is the change in approach in 2nd half of year to more short term planning based on our ladder position at the mid point of the season.

I know it comes to personal belief of what is the best approach as Both you and Lore say "we were a chance to make finals so thats why the did X and Y" and thats a perfectly valid view, but for me a personally (and I believe a couple of other supporters) we were happy to hear him talk about patience/8 year plans etc at start of year and we were happy to see him give younger guys more responsibility pre bye so its disappointing he fell back on tried and failed strategies/positioning etc in back half of year just because he saw a finals berth as a possibility.
I hate Sam Mitchell as much as any Essendon supporter does but I cant help but look back at the last two years of us all laughing at them languishing at the bottom whilst he tried to instil his style. But he didnt blink, Scott blinked.
This bit is spot on.
The guys in charge cannot afford to get carried away like that.
If there is a plan it had to be adhered to - maybe there just wasn't a plan.

And the other thing that makes me worried is his selection policy. Perkins should have been dropped much earlier than he was. Roberts could have played earlier. Hayes?
And don't play 2 Rucks and 200cm Wingers in the rain!
Pretty ****ing basic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back