Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

• 4 players contracted until 2027: Duursma, Langford, Martin, Merrett, Wright
  • 2 players contracted until 2028: Durham, Redman
  • 3 players contracted until 2029: McKay, Parish, Ridley
  • 1 player contracted until 2030: McGrath

This is pretty dire reading right here.

If the coach is influencing these decisions, we're ****ed.

If the coach isn't influencing these decisions, we're probably even more ****ed.

On this, look at how easy it was for Voss to change Carlton's culture. Carlton has been worse than Essendon for most of the last 20 years (with, what is it, 5 bottom finishes in that period?). Voss said exactly what he was going to do in his first presser. He was going to play the biggest, nastiest inside players he had, as much as he could, and bash opponents into submission. It wasn't pretty and they were far from efficient but they spent the whole year in the top 8, falling at the last hurdle while losing to Melbourne and Collingwood battling for spots in the top 4 by a collective 6 points. Percentage of 108 with a 35 point loss being as bad as they got (with a few other 5 goal losses). He used his players to set the required standard and foundation for the culture.

It's as basic as the belief or even the knowledge that Carlton can beat up any team inside. The players need something tangible to believe in the culture. Even just look at culture of nations and ethic groups, for example, and look at how that is based on or reflected in tangible things such as unique language, food, clothing, etc.

What do we think Essendon players are telling each other to motivate or when things get tough? What tangible things does Essendon point to as a sign of its culture (and I'm not looking for satirical responses).

Brad Scott is trying to graft a culture onto players who are not compatible. He has not used player selection in any real way to shape the culture, though I give him Durham in the middle. He has not used his power to influence list management to shape the culture, at all. But it's worse than that, he is chasing results by devising and implementing strategies for the flawed 'best 22' to be as successful as possible. This is part of the reason we play Goldstein, for example. He drives so much of the success in the centre with his ruck work (for which he gets no credit). It's why we defend at half back instead of defending the ground, because there are few players who play 2-way footy. It's why we 'fade out' of season - these are not really fade outs as much as they are corrections by the rest of the competition.

And the best part of it is that they have re-signed basically everyone. So I don't think we should give Brad Scott the 'out' of the players being the problem. He doesn't think they are the problem. There is virtually nothing he has done pre-Adelaide loss that should lead anyone to think that he thinks the players are the problem. It's why he wont be able to change the culture and it's also why he shouldn't be given the chance. Voss would not have been able to do his 'about face' half way through last season if he had not set the foundation of 2022, if he didn't have that fallback of the culture he had established. Re-sets half way through have no realistic prospect of success. You can't spend all of your time with a group of people building them up based on 1 thing, change your mind and revoke it and then try to build them back up with something else. This is why I have been saying from very early on that Scott has been going about coaching Essendon in completely the wrong way. He has squandered the opportunity he had to come in and be the bad guy everyone expected.

This is part of what I meant when I was telling ant555 that he was projecting a positive plan onto Essendon. Ant thinks the players are a problem, and he's not getting any real argument from me there at least in a general sense, but Brad Scott didn't until 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's too late for Brad now.
I wonder how you would have posted as a Carlton fan about Voss after their horrible start last season, culminating in a loss to Essendon.
Reality is it’s never really going as bad or as good as you think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given what the club has put us through, I'd say the majority are pretty loyal.
To the Club? Sure.

To Scott and others? No way.

When he had us 2nd a lot were happy, this week I've seen far to many calls for him to be sacked.

To the Club? Sure.

To Scott and others? No way.

When he had us 2nd a lot were happy, this week I've seen far to many calls for him to be sacked.
My answer is similar to above. Think we are a very loyal fan base. Emotional and frustrated are the words I’d use, but yeah I also do agree. To many have jumped on the coach lately

He doesn’t deserve to be sacked but I also don’t blame people for some of the criticism. Match day stuff has been all over the shop for a few months now

"The only way for us to move forward is just to be upfront. We were tested, we failed, but how do you improve? You get tested again, you fail, you improve until you break through and we haven't broken through."

Good of Brad to succinctly and eloquently break down why he should never have been given the job in the first place in one compound sentence.

Yeah, fair enough, was talking more to the club. It's an emotional game, people 'go off', but usually calm down. I wonder how the scarf thrower is, this week?
My answer is similar to above. Think we are a very loyal fan base. Emotional and frustrated are the words I’d use, but yeah I also do agree. To many have jumped on the coach lately

He doesn’t deserve to be sacked but I also don’t blame people for some of the criticism. Match day stuff has been all over the shop for a few months now
Yeah being the Brad Scott thread I meant to him more than the club. ;)

I agree with you both that the club as an entity we've got a very loyal base. But the parts that make up that I.e. Coaches, players etc we seem to feast on our own with ease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back