Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

"The only way for us to move forward is just to be upfront. We were tested, we failed, but how do you improve? You get tested again, you fail, you improve until you break through and we haven't broken through."

Good of Brad to succinctly and eloquently break down why he should never have been given the job in the first place in one compound sentence.
What's wrong with his statement? It's just being real. I don't get the over criticism of Scott other than team selection.

We've been through the same shit how many times since Sheedy? The first thing people do is go for the coach all the time. It's like saying Hardwick is the reason why Gold Coast have remained the same. Gold Coast have talent, they have a good coach, they have a good side, they have everything that should make them successful like GWS. So why are they still the same? Because of a loser culture among the playing group. That's on the lack of on-field leadership.

On field leadership and high standards is far far more important to team success than people realise. Who exactly are Essendon's on-field leaders other than Merrett?

What's wrong with his statement? It's just being real. I don't get the over criticism of Scott other than team selection.

We've been through the same shit how many times since Sheedy? The first thing people do is go for the coach all the time. It's like saying Hardwick is the reason why Gold Coast have remained the same. Gold Coast have talent, they have a good coach, they have a good side, they have everything that should make them successful like GWS. So why are they still the same? Because of a loser culture among the playing group. That's on the lack of on-field leadership.

On field leadership and high standards is far far more important to team success than people realise. Who exactly are Essendon's on-field leaders other than Merrett?

If the whole thing is a matter of ‘you get tested, you fail, you get back up and go again until it works’ and that is actually the club’s stance there is no jumping off Rutten and onto Scott in the first place, the whole point of Scott was because we thought we could short circuit that, play a bit of snakes and ladders and skip a few steps.

It’s all well and good for Scott to say that and he’s not wrong, but he’s almost kiboshing what the exec said about Rutten, which is trying and failing until it works is not good enough in our book, we think someone else can do better.

If the whole thing is a matter of ‘you get tested, you fail, you get back up and go again until it works’ and that is actually the club’s stance there is no jumping off Rutten and onto Scott in the first place, the whole point of Scott was because we thought we could short circuit that, play a bit of snakes and ladders and skip a few steps.

It’s all well and good for Scott to say that and he’s not wrong, but he’s almost kiboshing what the exec said about Rutten, which is trying and failing until it works is not good enough in our book, we think someone else can do better.
You're re-writing history there a bit. The short circuit option was clarkson, then it was lyon. We ended up with Scott but he wasn't the reason we knifed rutten.

I agree truck was treated poorly, but seems like you want us to repeat the same mistakes just because you're still bitter about something that happened 2 years ago and had nothing to do with Scott.

We didn't though.

We jumped off Truck to go after Clarko/Lyon and when they fell through were left scratching our ass.

We didn't though.

We jumped off Truck to go after Clarko/Lyon and when they fell through were left scratching our ass.

In any event, whoever we wanted and thought we could get was a more experienced option who could get us to the end product faster.

Whether it was the sex crazed weirdo or the eugenicist, it doesn’t really matter.

why would the exec cop this now from Scott now if they didn’t from Rutten then?

In any event, whoever we wanted and thought we could get was a more experienced option who could get us to the end product faster.

Whether it was the sex crazed weirdo or the eugenicist, it doesn’t really matter.

Disagree. Once we missed the boat on those 2 who is to say the board didn't realise their **** up?

Definitely dodge a couple of bullets there!

I think it's simply down to rutten being an easier prey, due to his inexperience and less abrasive demeanour. Scott would probably push back more.

It begs the question why they continue to be played, or why coaches believe they can change them.

It's getting to the point where scorched earth may be the only antidote to getting it out of the club
The reason they keep getting played is there's fairly limited options available. You have a list of 40-odd players, some of whom are injured, some of whom aren't fit enough, some of whom simply aren't ready for AFL football yet, and some of whom are just spuds. That doesn't leave too many options if the best 23 players aren't up to scratch.

"The only way for us to move forward is just to be upfront. We were tested, we failed, but how do you improve? You get tested again, you fail, you improve until you break through and we haven't broken through."

Good of Brad to succinctly and eloquently break down why he should never have been given the job in the first place in one compound sentence.
Actually sounds like he was quoting Luke Hodge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to give him a proper chance, because he was dealt a terrible hand in taking this job. However, with every press conference where he says absolutely nothing and every team selection that inspires zero hope, I am losing my faith bit by bit.

I hope he stays for 10 years just so I can see you melt every week :p

i know this is a detour but does anyone who isn't a stupid idiot actually think sacking Rutten was a good idea though. i mean it wasn't. it was very dumb. that's why only dumb people liked it.

i know this is a detour but does anyone who isn't a stupid idiot actually think sacking Rutten was a good idea though. i mean it wasn't. it was very dumb. that's why only dumb people liked it.
The dumbest bit was sacking Rutten to create an opportunity for Clarko, then racing off after Lyon when Clarko told us ‘lmao no’, only to be told no by him as well

Hird sulking off when he was told he had to apply and go through a formal interview process was very dumb and entitled too

Anyway, I think Scott can coach and while he’s got a lot of work ahead of him I’m optimistic he can get us on the right path

You’re talking to the leader of the anti Scott movement and Rutten’s biggest fan, you don’t have to tell me.

The sacking wasn’t done very well, but I’ve never seen a more dysfunctional defensive set up in afl football than when Rutten was coaching. I was very glad to see the back of him.

There’s an age old question - do insane people know they’re insane? Similarly, does anyone think they are themselves the stupid idiot - therefore not answer?

BTW - sacking Rutten was a good idea. Right up there with the wheel, stairs and cultivation of vegetables.

My answer is similar to above. Think we are a very loyal fan base. Emotional and frustrated are the words I’d use, but yeah I also do agree. To many have jumped on the coach lately

He doesn’t deserve to be sacked but I also don’t blame people for some of the criticism. Match day stuff has been all over the shop for a few months now
It's a ****ing carbon copy of two years ago.

It's a ****ing carbon copy of two years ago.
The difference is Brad reels off a spiel every week about how the numbers tell him a story. It could all be bullshit (and most likely it is) but it sounds like he is working hard on areas of improvement. He sounds ahead of the game in analysing where it went wrong and what needs a fix.

Rutten was dumbfounded and couldn't even pretend to explain what in the world was going on.

I would've loved Rutten to work out. He was young so could've coached us well into the future, he tried to make the place proud again, and his strut that time was second to none. He felt like an "Essendon person" very quickly.

Unfortunately the guy didn't know what to do, and couldn't fake it until he maked it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back