Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Give me a break. Geelong premiership forward line consisted of Hawkins & Cameron. 3 guys under 6 foot in Miers, Close & Stengle. The 3rd tall was Rohan at 6 ft 2. In Collingwood premiership McStay was out and Cox filled in.
None of the other teams you cited have won anything.
You overlooked Richmond who had Riewoldt & Lynch. Plus 3 small under 6 foot ie Castagna, Bolton & Rioli. The other forward consisted of a mid rotation usually Martin, Lambert or Edwards.3 flags in 4 years.
Context my dear fellow.
You can have talls but you need a strong fleet of smalls in the front half to be able to compete in modern day footy with the best teams.

My expectations coming where.
Wanting to see improved effort over the season.
Improvement in the team defense.
A few young guys stepping up.
Thought we would finish on 10 or 11 wins.
We ended up not that far from where I expected us to be .

Quite disappointing for him to emphasise the whole ‘even comp’ thing in the presser when if he was hammering them on the careless crap we pick up a win against Adelaide, two wins against the Suns and maybe a win against the Dees.

Then because it’s such an even comp we’d still be playing like a busted arse with a poor percentage but we’d be clear in second.

Perhaps he’s secretly stoked that we’re not because it’s creating less of a false economy and we’re not in for another week 1 pasting.

Quite disappointing for him to emphasise the whole ‘even comp’ thing in the presser when if he was hammering them on the careless crap we pick up a win against Adelaide, two wins against the Suns and maybe a win against the Dees.

Then because it’s such an even comp we’d still be playing like a busted arse with a poor percentage but we’d be clear in second.

Perhaps he’s secretly stoked that we’re not because it’s creating less of a false economy and we’re not in for another week 1 pasting.
He absolutely should be, to be fair.

Spot on ..set up ama system good execution dire

He has picked a team all year to win here and now.

He has had almost no eye on development or the future all season, he has had no selection integrity since he walked in the door

How many players have actually improved since he has come to the club?

How many players have stagnated or gone backwards?

He is a great talker, but his actions don’t back up his words

To kick goals we seem to rely on individual brilliance over any sort of discernible style

He has picked a team all year to win here and now.

He has had almost no eye on development or the future all season, he has had no selection integrity since he walked in the door

How many players have actually improved since he has come to the club?

How many players have stagnated or gone backwards?

He is a great talker, but his actions don’t back up his words

To kick goals we seem to rely on individual brilliance over any sort of discernible style
Yet he has played Cox and Perkins as much as possible. Given games to Davey when he is not AFL ready. Was prepared to go with Zack Reid as his second KPD. Played Tsatas early because the wanted him to play. Moved Durham and Caldwell into full time midfield spots. Has played Caddy as soon as he put together a few good VFL games in a row .
Has also sent young blokes back to the VFL and played them in their prefered spots which has not happened in the past.
The guy has made some mistakes for sure but he has also done a few things with an eye to the future.

To blow the sort of dominance we had in the last is 100% on the playing group not the coach.

The list is what it is. A middling defence with an improving midfield and a terrible forward Line (and mediocre leadership). We will finish on the ladder pretty much where our list would rank but I think the good news for Scott is that he's still getting the effort others have failed to. If he's on top of this group in that way then we will experience success in alignment with our list improvements. Given where we've been that would be a solid turnaround.
The coach picks the team. He chooses to have guys like Laverde who lose to their opponent every week and are liabilities when they touch the ball. Either Hayes is a delist candidate, or there is something very wrong with Scotts’ evaluation of talent. It was a problem at North and he hasn’t changed. He will pick his guys until they start losing us games.

That being said, we have the 6th worst percentage in the league, our ladder position flatters us. We have beaten one team by more than 30 points. If anything, we are going to finish higher than where we deserve to be.

Yet he has played Cox and Perkins as much as possible. Given games to Davey when he is not AFL ready. Was prepared to go with Zack Reid as his second KPD. Played Tsatas early because the wanted him to play. Moved Durham and Caldwell into full time midfield spots. Has played Caddy as soon as he put together a few good VFL games in a row .
Has also sent young blokes back to the VFL and played them in their prefered spots which has not happened in the past.
The guy has made some mistakes for sure but he has also done a few things with an eye to the future.
And… played people in development roles to broaden their capability:
  • Martin
  • Jones
  • Cox
  • Perkins
  • etc

Some hideous takes in here. No matter what he said in the presser some flog on here would rip it apart. We are simply at where we are at. We have improved but our execution is still poor. As people have said Brad wasn’t out there in the last quarter and didn’t kick 1.9. Players need to take ownership and learn from every loss and every mistake.

Also any chance we can perma ban the Hird nuffies? Fair dinkum…

Scott will still be coach come 2026, regardless what happens.

For his sake, I’m sure he was hoping for a finals win, just to keep the pressure at bay.

The club would want to hope we are playing finals next year, or else the Hird drums will be beating.
He shouldn't be under any pressure for a couple of years, if he is then the club is destined for another round of mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will be reminded of coaching North next year.

I see alot of Sunday twilight games in our future.
Why would we play Sunday twilight games when a lot of our games have been close?

Just because we are losing doesn't mean we are a poor product for a non-Essendon audience.

For his sake, I’m sure he was hoping for a finals win, just to keep the pressure at bay.

The club would want to hope we are playing finals next year, or else the Hird drums will be beating.
I reckon the only chance he has of still being coach in 2026 if he does a proper rebuild like hawthorn did. And clearly communicates with the fans want his plan is and how it will be done

If he tries to do the same thing next season as he has done the previous 2. We won’t get enough wins to make and win finals, fans will drop off( as soon as fans drop off the board panics).

He will need to completely change his whole style of going for experience over youth. I just can’t see him changing

Give me a break. Geelong premiership forward line consisted of Hawkins & Cameron. 3 guys under 6 foot in Miers, Close & Stengle. The 3rd tall was Rohan at 6 ft 2. In Collingwood premiership McStay was out and Cox filled in.
None of the other teams you cited have won anything.
You overlooked Richmond who had Riewoldt & Lynch. Plus 3 small under 6 foot ie Castagna, Bolton & Rioli. The other forward consisted of a mid rotation usually Martin, Lambert or Edwards.3 flags in 4 years.
Context my dear fellow.

So what I’m hearing you say is that all
Of those teams played 3 talls. Just like I said

Collingwood had Billy Frampton fill in for McStay in the GF

Geelong had Hawkins, Cameron + Ruck and Danger floating forward (+ Smalls)

Richmond had Nank + Riewoldt + Lynch

Melbourne had Gawn + Jackson. Can’t remember if they had another tall but they definitely had Frisch as a medium.

The formula is 3 talls, 1 medium and a bunch of pressure players.

Essendon’s pressure players aren’t delivering much pressure and that’s the real issue but that’s not the fault of Bryan/Draper/Caddy. It’s on Jake/Kyle and the other players being picked as smalls

So what I’m hearing you say is that all
Of those teams played 3 talls. Just like I said

Collingwood had Billy Frampton fill in for McStay in the GF

Geelong had Hawkins, Cameron + Ruck and Danger floating forward (+ Smalls)

Richmond had Nank + Riewoldt + Lynch

Melbourne had Gawn + Jackson. Can’t remember if they had another tall but they definitely had Frisch as a medium.

The formula is 3 talls, 1 medium and a bunch of pressure players.

Essendon’s pressure players aren’t delivering much pressure and that’s the real issue but that’s not the fault of Bryan/Draper/Caddy. It’s on Jake/Kyle and the other players being picked as smalls
Agree, though it is readonable to say thst taking Jones out of the forwardline also diminished the i50 pressure. He was like a man possessed in there before being moved to a wing.

Talking about the mentality of our squad earlier, what does this mean? (outside of us 100% winning the next 2)

Here are the pre game odds sentiment and the result; (gamble responsibly)

1 v Haw, equal odds = win

2 v Syd, underdog = lost

3 v stk, underdog = win

4 v port, underdog = lost

5 v dogs, underdog = win

6 v ade, equal odds = win

7 v coll, underdog = draw

8 v wce, favorite = won fell over the line

9 v gws, underdog = win

10 v north, favorite,= win

11 v Richmond, favorite = win fell over the line

12 v suns, favorite = lost

13 v carlton, favorite = lost

14 v bye

15 v wce, favorite = win fell over the line

16 v geel, favorite = lost

17 v coll, underdog = win

18 v melb, favorite = lost

19 v ade, favorite = lost

20 v stk, favorite = lost

21 v freo, underdog = win

22 v gc, favorite = lost

23 v syd, underdog =

24 v bris, underdog =

So rough numbers from our 12 / 9 record

We have won (or drawn) 8 times either being underdog or equal odds

We have lost 7 times being favorite

Of our 4 wins being favorite 3 we fell over the line against bottom sides.

So either we cant handle the pressure of being favorited, or we go in taking it easy being favorite?

We loosen up being underdog and just play, or we need our backs to the wall to show something?

Or is the whole odds market a load of nonsense anyway...

I think we all know deep down there has always been this trend in us, to win when we shouldn’t and lose when we shouldn’t, it’s the most frustrating yet exhilarating part of being a bomber.

If scotts job is to rewire this club, here is one mental issue that needs attention

Talking about the mentality of our squad earlier, what does this mean? (outside of us 100% winning the next 2)

Here are the pre game odds sentiment and the result; (gamble responsibly)

1 v Haw, equal odds = win

2 v Syd, underdog = lost

3 v stk, underdog = win

4 v port, underdog = lost

5 v dogs, underdog = win

6 v ade, equal odds = win

7 v coll, underdog = draw

8 v wce, favorite = won fell over the line

9 v gws, underdog = win

10 v north, favorite,= win

11 v Richmond, favorite = win fell over the line

12 v suns, favorite = lost

13 v carlton, favorite = lost

14 v bye

15 v wce, favorite = win fell over the line

16 v geel, favorite = lost

17 v coll, underdog = win

18 v melb, favorite = lost

19 v ade, favorite = lost

20 v stk, favorite = lost

21 v freo, underdog = win

22 v gc, favorite = lost

23 v syd, underdog =

24 v bris, underdog =

So rough numbers from our 12 / 9 record

We have won (or drawn) 8 times either being underdog or equal odds

We have lost 7 times being favorite

Of our 4 wins being favorite 3 we fell over the line against bottom sides.

So either we cant handle the pressure of being favorited, or we go in taking it easy being favorite?

We loosen up being underdog and just play, or we need our backs to the wall to show something?

Or is the whole odds market a load of nonsense anyway...

I think we all know deep down there has always been this trend in us, to win when we shouldn’t and lose when we shouldn’t, it’s the most frustrating yet exhilarating part of being a bomber.

If scotts job is to rewire this club, here is one mental issue that needs attention
Even comp. Didn’t you hear?

We actually played out youngest team of the year on the weekend which amazed me to hear.

Next year is year 3. That is when teams start to see improvement if the new coach has done his job.

Whilst there is a breath in Hird's body, there will be fans thinking he is the band-aid that can fix the club.

I reckon going back to the start of the year, not many would have said we'd have 11.5 wins at this point of the year. We are exactly where we deserve to be based on talent. Right now, we are not a top 8 team, we all recognized this going into the year. Can't tell me that a different coach would have gotten more out of this group of players.

Whilst there is a breath in Hird's body, there will be fans thinking he is the band-aid that can fix the club.

I reckon going back to the start of the year, not many would have said we'd have 11.5 wins at this point of the year. We are exactly where we deserve to be based on talent. Right now, we are not a top 8 team, we all recognized this going into the year. Can't tell me that a different coach would have gotten more out of this group of players.

He probably needs to show something next year, I think. If we enter next year with an old 22 again, I’d be concerned. He waits until too long in the year to start playing the form younger guys.

His third year can’t be the same as his first two.

He probably needs to show something next year, I think. If we enter next year with an old 22 again, I’d be concerned. He waits until too long in the year to start playing the form younger guys.

His third year can’t be the same as his first two.
I'd be shocked if that was the case. Realistically, Goldstein and Heppell should be finishing up & possibly Shiel moving on drops the age & experience level substantially.

The only way he is in trouble is a) if we have another fadeout and finish with under 10 wins or b) if the board get trigger happy and believe that our list is better than what it actually is, which right now is a 6th-12th placed side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back