Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Neill says it all and the stupidity of your responses show why the game has no future. Any comment or criticism it jumped on as whenging.

Learn English:)

Good post premier. Normally I don't like red cards (or send offs) because that usually kills the match then and there. We saw Barry Hall get yellow carded when the Irish guy tripped over himself so I don't know if I want the umpires having that much control over a game. Maybe if there was a third umpire (ie a video umpire) that could review it and make a proper assessment. I would be more in favour of that to minimise collosal blunders.

I was at the match, Barry Hall deserved a yellow card, did nothing to avoid the player after the ball was gone and tripped him from behind. Tadgh Kenneally is obviously familiar with your sporting culture and, though I believe he thinks he was taken out, he is trying to laugh it off and say he will have a chance at training to get back at Hall. He has to go back to Sydney you see. 50 seconds he lasted. Begley (the other professional) also went off injured in the first few minutes. McDonnell is about the only Irish player who was outstanding in the first test and who was still standing after the first quarter.

Since the series started the Aussies have always targeted the best Irish players, either by provoking them or poleaxing them. Watch the Youtube video on Ciarán MacDonald before the second test 2004 and you'll see what I mean. The series was so soured after last year, I wonder could it ever have recovered. What happened between the first and second tests then put the final nails in the coffin. The Irish keeper is from my local club. Apparently McGeeney told the Irish before the game to give as good as you get.

I have to get a little bit insulting here because there's a lot of going on. Cricket is a game from your mother country which is of no interest to most Irishmen. More people play draughts than cricket in Ireland. You have reserved the Union Jack at the top of your flag and, correct if I'm wrong, the British Queen has some kind of Head of State status in your constitution. I think this is why ye play cricket. No interest here.;)

Yes. Sweet sweet irony. :rolleyes:

You seem to have your knickers in a twist about the Gilbee and Sheedy comments before the game. Talking up a game midweek is nothing more than mind-games. That the Irish bought it hook line and sinker and then lost the plot come game-day quote]
Your Rugby Union team will be here soon, there won't be any of the mid-week crap there was from their AFL counterparts. I suspect the Union crowd just have more class than the AFL crowd?

Lets play hurling.

Give us a couple of years, we'll smash you at that too.

Then, you can whinge that we're pricks, then we'll play IR again.

:rolleyes:

Now if you really believe that i don't know what to say to you. Theres not a group of athletes of any sport in the world that in the space of 5 or even 10 years constant training could become good enough to even compete with an Irish national hurling team.

Your Rugby Union team will be here soon, there won't be any of the mid-week crap there was from their AFL counterparts. I suspect the Union crowd just have more class than the AFL crowd?

The International Rules game needed to be talked up to get interest in Australia for the second test, Gilbee did so.

Premier, I'm taking the piss mate, sort of ;)

The International Rules game needed to be talked up to get interest in Australia for the second test, Gilbee did so.

Premier, I'm taking the piss mate, sort of ;)

I guessed :cool:

So this topic is still going ?

I don't have the time to read everything but has anyone stated that Tadhg Kennelly and most of the Irish team want the series to continue ?

Apparently McGeeney told the Irish before the game to give as good as you get.

Interesting. I don't think that was probably wise because the Aussies are better at push and shove and niggle without giving away free kicks, so that would have played into Australia's hands.

With regards to the Barry Hall send off I taped the game, and I don't think Barry Hall even touched him. Barry Hall didn't even know he had fallen over because he was looking up the ground. If there was any contact it would have been a very minor accidental tangling of the legs.

Interesting. I don't think that was probably wise because the Aussies are better at push and shove and niggle without giving away free kicks, so that would have played into Australia's hands.

With regards to the Barry Hall send off I taped the game, and I don't think Barry Hall even touched him. Barry Hall didn't even know he had fallen over because he was looking up the ground. If there was any contact it would have been a very minor accidental tangling of the legs.

Agree with the first paragraph. Not the second. Barry Hall was tempted to nail him, but didn't. But because he was still considering it got too close and clipped him. Funny I think that the was the last major incident in the match. The Aussies had us well softened up by then and ran through us for the rest of the game.

Admittedly, I couldn't see everything going on the other side of the pitch as I was low down and players were in the way. When did the Coulter 'bump' take place? (Can't help thinking of the bumbers in the merries when I hear that word. A very misleading name.):rolleyes:

BTW asking Ireland to play Oz at cricket is like asking Oz to play Ireland in Hurling. There are more people playing Gaelic Football in Australia than Cricket in Ireland!

Mate, considering Australia is ranked in the top 3 in the world in Lacrosse and hockey and we are apparently a bunch of win at all cost athletical thugs, bring on the Hurling I say. I doubt it would take us long before we were kicking your ass at that as well.

Mate, considering Australia is ranked in the top 3 in the world in Lacrosse and hockey and we are apparently a bunch of win at all cost athletical thugs, bring on the Hurling I say. I doubt it would take us long before we were kicking your ass at that as well.

Sorry but you don't know what your talking about, Unless hurling became as popular in Oz as Aussie Rules is and you had a whole generation of players who were playing it since they were kids you wouldn't have a chance of even being competitive with one of our junior club U16 teams, nevermind a senior club, county team or an all-Ireland team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did the Coulter'bump' take place.

Is that was the Barry Hall incident?

It happened exactly at the 20 minute mark (ie. early in the 2nd quarter). If you ever get to watch the vision, have a look because there is seriously nothing in it. Even the Irish commentator said 'it looked to be a tangle of legs and that's all'.

Is that was the Barry Hall incident?

It happened exactly at the 20 minute mark (ie. early in the 2nd quarter). If you ever get to watch the vision, have a look because there is seriously nothing in it. Even the Irish commentator said 'it looked to be a tangle of legs and that's all'.

No, by the bump I meant the guy being charged in the chest after he had disposed of the ball. There has been talk about it on this thread. I only saw it on a Poitical discussion programme (Prime Time) on Monday where they were talking in general about violence in sport. Can't remember it on the day, it might have been at the canal end goal which I couldn't see too well. I thought it was Coulter who got hit, maybe by O' Keefe. Some people said coulter ducked into the bump so he wasn't too badly hurt. Rode the assault well you might say. Anyway the IR series gave them loads of footage to use during the discussion.

No, by the bump I meant the guy being charged in the chest after he had disposed of the ball. There has been talk about it on this thread. I only saw it on a Poitical discussion programme (Prime Time) on Monday where they were talking in general about violence in sport. Can't remember it on the day, it might have been at the canal end goal which I couldn't see too well. I thought it was Coulter who got hit, maybe by O' Keefe. Some people said coulter ducked into the bump so he wasn't too badly hurt. Rode the assault well you might say. Anyway the IR series gave them loads of footage to use during the discussion.

I think that would be the Selwood bump.

Well I see you edited this post. Thanks for the effort. But unfortunately it still makes no sense. :D

The guy on the left in that pic is clearly trying to trip the genlemanly elephant beside him. Typical sneaky Irish fecker. When the elephant turns round and decks him, I bet he'll whinge like a sook.:)

The guy on the left in that pic is clearly trying to trip the genlemanly elephant beside him. Typical sneaky Irish fecker. When the elephant turns round and decks him, I bet he'll whinge like a sook.:)

Good work cavanmaniac. The sooner people from both nations look at this a bit more light-heartedly the better.:thumbsu:

Up until the '70's, players wore boots with reinforced leather or steel capped toes.
F*8ng hell. Why?
That's a good question, IRserious, I don't know. Perhaps to protect the toes from being trodden on. The boots had leather and sometimes steel stops, studs you'd probably call them. The hard toes were used to kick the drop kick and probably explain why half the drop kicks were grubbers. The boots were high boots and covered the ankles. I've seen old pictures of soccer and rugby players from the early decades of the 20th century wearing high boots. I imagine it would have been the same in gaelic football back then. Would those boots, like the older Australian boots, have had hard toes ?

Who's condoning anything ? The post is a response to a jibe, talking about O'Mahoney's knee and O'Keefe's blood nose, "You're not trying to say they are minor incidents". Of course they were. Landing on a bloke with knees is very dangerous and is ordinarily punished in AFL as unduly rough play. Blood noses are common, however inflicted. O'Keefe wasn't inconvenienced at all, the bloke who copped the knees got straight up and O'Mahoney was yellow carded. However pious and shocked you and your ilk might pretend to be, they were minor.

This is unbelievable! You dismiss a blatant headbutt to a players face as a trivial incident, but make a massive deal that a bloke got knocked out in a tackle!?

The tackle was by probably the youngest and smallest player in the team!

As if Sheedy or the rest of the team give a rats what Lindsay Gilbee says during the week! I guarantee there was no plan to take out any player.

The more I read from these Irish posters, the more flabbergasted I become...

You are living in fairy story land. Ask Geraghty and the tacklee of O'Mahoney which is the minor and which is the major of the tackles by Pearse and O'Mahoney's. Ask any player at all for that matter.

Hasn't Geraghty come out and said that there was nothing wrong with the tackle? Surely if this is the case, any reason for this bleating is removed?

Can someone provide with links to Gilbee saying he was going to make orphans of Geraghty's children?

And to these comments Sheedy apparently made? I dind't hear about any of this during the week.

The Pearse tackle was a more serious offence than the O'Mahoney tackle and whatever it was that caused O'Keefe's nosebleed. I'll leave the sensationalist adjectives to you. The O'Mahoney tackle and whatever it was that caused O'Keefe's nosebleed were minor incidents in comparison with the Pearse tackle. You are completely wrong in saying that headbutting and knee dropping are WAY more seriously viewed in Australian culture than a lingering tackle that results in an injury. The proof is in the Lloyd and (that recently retired Richmond ruckman whose name I can't recall) cases. Lloyd got off his headbut charge because he caused no harm. Same with our Richmond ruckman and his knee drops. Barry Hall was able to play in a Grand Final because his punch was said to have caused no harm. You are entitled to your view on what is acceptable in Australian culture and to express it. But you are wrong.

A few things.

'whatever it was that caused O'Keefe's nosebleed' was a headbutt. This has been acknowledged by a couple of Irish posters who were there.

You say Lloyd got off his headbutt charge. A lingering tackle would not even warrant a charge. Cameron Mooney was suspended for a headbutt to B Holland this year, and it was very debateable as to whether he even made contact!

You are the one who is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back