Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that was the Barry Hall incident?

It happened exactly at the 20 minute mark (ie. early in the 2nd quarter). If you ever get to watch the vision, have a look because there is seriously nothing in it. Even the Irish commentator said 'it looked to be a tangle of legs and that's all'.

Sshhh Grim, IRSerious knows what Kenneally is thinking :eek:

Kenneally is obviously familiar with your sporting culture and, though I believe he thinks he was taken out, he is trying to laugh it off and say he will have a chance at training to get back at Hall.

Unless you are Kevin Sheedy or one of the AFL team, then what you mean is that you believe that there was no plan. Why do you have such faith in professional footballers ?

There wouldn't have been a plan, because there was no need for it.

I have no doubt part of the game plan was to impose ourselves physically, but that's different to taking people out.

We don't need to take people out, because we're better than regardless.

I think they might actually be in our group fror the World Cup next year.

Edit: No, we've got Scotland and The Netherlands as the minnows in our group. The Irish have to contend with the Pakis, the Windies and Zimbabwe.

We have a good group I think we also have South Africa

The Irish, well, they are in trouble, although they played ok against England at the start of the English summer.

It's better if you look at what people say or what happens than what you want them to say or what you want to happen.

No need to be a tool. It was just a question.

It was a statement put in the form of question, annoying because it assumes an admission which wasn't made to support a position that is untenable. But you are right about the tool bit.

You may be the most smug sanctimonious individual to have posted on this site in years.

Quite an achievement :thumbsu:

The AFL could now begin to go through Ireland looking for potential AFL players now, especially as the end of the series will mean that the AFL or GAA no longer have to look after the other

You might be right about the injury and legal tackle, in fact it's more complicated than that because of the interpretative nature of Australian Rules Football rules i.e. if they want to ping you, they'll find a way, but the tackle that Pearce (thanks genesis76) laid was not within the rules of the game being played and should have attracted a free kick ergo it was an offence. If a headbutt occurred, it wasn't shown on TV, we only have Quartermain's commentary and I don't reckon he saw it either, then that's an offence too. No matter how O'Keefe got his blood nose, as long as it was caused by a GAA player, then it's an offence too, high contact. That's not as serious an offence because the injury was minimal, arguably more an offence to O'Keefe's pride than his face. Your post is the first allegation of a knee in the face, do you mean O'Mahoney's knees into Lappin's back ? If so, then that's in the back and unduly rough play, using Australian football terms and O'Mahoney received a yellow card. There's no suggestion that he was in any way injured. Someone said he might have had a bruise on his back. That's a less serious offence, too and, in any event, was punished instantly. The seriousness of offences, relates to the injury or injury potential. Let me give you an example. Kicking in danger is now only paid when contact is made. That's because a kick is no longer as dangerous as it used to be because players wear soft football boots. Up until the '70's, players wore boots with reinforced leather or steel capped toes. Copping a kick from those had the potential for real injury so kicking in danger was given even if contact wasn't made. Another. Tripping. It's a no no, not becaus4e it's somehow less than manly or offensive to some noble culture but because it has the potential to break legs, Peter Foster missed a finals series in just that way.

There is just so much factualy incorrect statements and mistruths in that post that it would be laughable , if not for the fact that you actually believe it .
best you head off and look for the pot of gold under the rainbow or continue searching for Leprechauns in your garden ...because you are totally useless at posting on a Aussie rules football forum ...your lack of knowledge of either game is breathtaking

I was at the match, Barry Hall deserved a yellow card, did nothing to avoid the player after the ball was gone and tripped him from behind. Tadgh Kenneally is obviously familiar with your sporting culture and, though I believe he thinks he was taken out, he is trying to laugh it off and say he will have a chance at training to get back at Hall. He has to go back to Sydney you see. 50 seconds he lasted. Begley (the other professional) also went off injured in the first few minutes. McDonnell is about the only Irish player who was outstanding in the first test and who was still standing after the first quarter.

Since the series started the Aussies have always targeted the best Irish players, either by provoking them or poleaxing them. Watch the Youtube video on Ciarán MacDonald before the second test 2004 and you'll see what I mean. The series was so soured after last year, I wonder could it ever have recovered. What happened between the first and second tests then put the final nails in the coffin. The Irish keeper is from my local club. Apparently McGeeney told the Irish before the game to give as good as you get.

Crybaby.jpg

Fact is these games were rougher on average 5-10 yrs ago...Irish won more then their fair share and we didnt need to suffer through constant hypocritical whinging whenever they lost.

Their skill level has dropped...at the very least it hasnt progressed at all....this was no more obvious then in the recent series.

Perhaps the Irish need to first look closer to home...examine why many believe the standard of the GAA has slipped. They get fed a lot of garbage over there about how their game is faster, tougher and better than ever...but that's crap.

Its true that it isnt a fair contest right now. Perhaps a damn good amateur AFL team can play them...not easy to market tho.

Living up to your name there Bollox.:) For the last three quarters the team was without, for all intents and purposes, their only two professionals and Geraghty. They were shell shocked (read Benny Coulters account of being first up to Geraghty after the tackle). Seán Boylan had thrown in the towel at quarter time. They made lots of chances in the second quarter, but their bottle had gone. Ireland kicked something like 10 behinds from scorable chances. The Aussie tactic of softening them up had worked. I believe the standards in GAA football are as high if not higher than ever. The team which played the last three quarters was physically battered and had lost all shape and belief after the first quarter.

One other aside: most GAA players are not used to the idea of set shots. The only set shots in GAA are free-kicks and these are usually taken by a designated free-taker.

For god's sake call a halt to the IR series, it will never again have any credibility.

Exactly.

We all expected Gerathy to get pushed and shoved and sledged, and we'd all consider that fair play, but if Gilbee hadn't said he wanted payback, no one would even be talking about it, as Pearce's tackle was sloppy, but basically legal.

Elvis really was the King, so your name is tantamount to blasphemy.:)

If I am wrong then I have been deluded for a long time. THE BUMP IS NOT LEGAL IN IR. The tackle was not legal in IR. Stop saying they were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a theory, it's true. If you're all into footage and hard cold facts, can you tell me of an incident of Irish thuggery that wasn't retaliation, before Sheedy took over?

In fact, I recall Geraghty getting the head thumped off him in Croke Park a few years ago when he stood with his hands down and just took it. I think the Aussie's surname was Scott. We didn't even retailiate in kind then but sure if we do, we're tramps and vandals, right?

Was at that match. There was the usual focus on trying to prevent fighting in that match. Scott had Geraghty by the jumper, Geraghty knew Scott would be sent off if he thumped him. I'd swear Geraghty said like 'go on hit me you tool'! Of course Scott was replaced in that game. That was a close series. I think John O' Keefe was the Irish manager, the only one who didn't win a series since the 1998 revivial.

Seán Boylan had thrown in the towel at quarter time.
indeed, when he took the players into the rooms at quarter time rather than staying out on the pitch I wouldn't have been surprised if they hadn't come back out. they seemed to be having an almighty sulk and only went back out out of respect for the crowd

funny how seán boylan seems to have forgotten the way people talked about his all-ireland winning team

The bump is legal in IR - but only to the shoulder

Accepted. We call that a shoulder. What I mean by a bump is the shoulder(?) charge into the chest of the oncoming player, as executed by Llyod(?) late in the first quarter.... half...F*8k it I can't remember. :rolleyes: You know what I mean. Like the tackle on Geraghty it is not legal in IR rules. Difficult to stop yourself if that is what you are used to, but illegal nevertheless.

Comments from 'top GAA Official' in today's IRiah Examiner...

“What has been lost in the whole thing is that there has been some wonderful games in the underage series down the years and only one time that I can remember where a player had to be disciplined (since 1998),” he said.

“Colm O’Rourke’s young lad (Shane) was playing in the series down there last year. Colm went out and said that the three tests were wonderful games of football. The young fellas play the game in the right spirit in that they try to play attacking football and they focus on that. The underage tests have shown the potential for the game.” :thumbsu:

Colm went out and said that the three tests were wonderful games of football. The young fellas play the game in the right spirit in that they try to play attacking football and they focus on that. The underage tests have shown the potential for the game.” :thumbsu:

Timely reminder. International Rules is played between the two codes other than between AFL-GAA seniors. There is nothing wrong with the game or the concept and it looks like a hell of a game to play. Unfortunately, we have the AFL, the peak body, sending a team of bullies to play.

Re: The end of Intl Rules?

I think the GAA are now going to pull the plug on this concept and that 2007 in Oz will be its swansong. They seem to have taken it very badly again.

Anyone agree?

Doubt it, if they are getting sell out stadiums the series is winning. Not our fault the pussy irish find the game abit tough. Thats the idea of an Hybrid game idiots.

Doubt it, if they are getting sell out stadiums the series is winning. Not our fault the pussy irish find the game abit tough. Thats the idea of an Hybrid game idiots.

I'd say you eat broken glass for breakfast. Either that or you're a simpleton. Which seems to be catching. Why are there so many assaults both sexual and physical committed by australian sportsmen? Is it because of the macho bullsh*t that surrounds pretty much every sport? Maybe someone could look into that.

I'd say you eat broken glass for breakfast. Either that or you're a simpleton. Which seems to be catching. Why are there so many assaults both sexual and physical committed by australian sportsmen? Is it because of the macho bullsh*t that surrounds pretty much every sport? Maybe someone could look into that.

Careful. I don't think sweeping statements of this sort are really called for. :thumbsdown:

I watched the first quarter again last night. The reality is somewhere between the hysterical crying of the Irish and the macho posturing of bigfooty.

IMO, both teams went outside the rules, in almost equal amounts.

Pearce should have been red carded for his sling tackle. Its illegal and it caused serious injury. What more do you need to get sent off ?

The bloke who headbutted O'keefe should have been red carded. Same reasons.

Everything else should have been yellows as appropriate.

Kennelly's injury, and the depleted bench of the irish was just unlucky. That happens.

One red card. A team a man down for a whole game, would have focussed the mind of the players and coaches quick smart.

I watched the first quarter again last night. The reality is somewhere between the hysterical crying of the Irish and the macho posturing of bigfooty.

IMO, both teams went outside the rules, in almost equal amounts.

Pearce should have been red carded for his sling tackle. Its illegal and it caused serious injury. What more do you need to get sent off ?

The bloke who headbutted O'keefe should have been red carded. Same reasons.

Everything else should have been yellows as appropriate.

Kennelly's injury, and the depleted bench of the irish was just unlucky. That happens.

One red card. A team a man down for a whole game, would have focussed the mind of the players and coaches quick smart.

Nobody saw the headbutt, if that is what it was. The umpires can't red card what they don't see. Shouldn't O'Keefe have been red carded for the punches he threw in the mellee ? If only the umpires had had the nerve to show your one red card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back