Michael Long

Remove this Banner Ad

And of course you were all there, weren't you?

Fat chance you'd do a bloody thing for anyone the whole lot of you.

If you were there you would have listened to some very frank assessments from prominent indigenous community leaders spelling out for those of us who are prepared to listen to other people what the situation is and what needs to change. You would have seen a massive amount of money raised. Most importantly, you would have seen 8000+ people from all walks of life who probably have little contact with indigenous Australia meeting and chatting with indigenous people from all walks of life.

Michael Long is not a politician, or a health care giver, or a teacher, or a social worker. All he's doing is raising funds and awareness for his mates who are.

I ask you, what have you ever done for indigenous Australia?

UNIT said:
A fit Sampi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any Aboriginal player at the Dockers

Michael Long = Just another Aboriginal 'leader' in a hat, who would rather get his ugly mug on tv by pointing fingers and talking about what needs to be done, as opposed to getting down and dirty himself and doing what actually needs to be done himself.
Wells > Sampi :)

UNIT said:
A fit Sampi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any Aboriginal player at the Dockers

Michael Long = Just another Aboriginal 'leader' in a hat, who would rather get his ugly mug on tv by pointing fingers and talking about what needs to be done, as opposed to getting down and dirty himself and doing what actually needs to be done himself.
A fit Sampi is as rare as a Quinten Lynch mark :eek:

UNIT said:

A fit Sampi is about as likely as Brad Smith making it to his car unaided.

UNIT said:
What a joke. What did Long actually achieve for grass roots Aborigines with his little publicity driven exercise? Is Indigenous health care any better? Are there any more Indigenous kids going to school on a regular basis? Has it improved Indigenous life expectancy? And so on and so on....

For god sake there are enough people in the community who actually do something tangible as opposed to just staging publicity stunts...give them the award.

He could have walked away from the game and done nothing but instead he has chosen to use his profile to raise awarness in the community and you bag the guy. By the way the long walk was about bringing the entire community together- White, black ,Asian , European etc not just about indigenous Australia. It is about tolarence at a time when it is vert important. what is wrong with this??? I would say he has done a hell of a lot more than most people . Publicity is an extremely important part of trying to create change and Long is aware that he has the ability to have an effect on people.

Can you explain to me what Michael Long has personally to gain from this so call publicity stunt??

If you are going to be so critical how about telling us what you have done for the community???

I do agree that there are many unsung hero's who have done more than long but i just dont see the point in using this against long. By recognising people with a profile it will help raise community awarness.

UNIT said:

UNIT = just another blowhard internet loser with more opinions than braincells, none of which have any validity or credibility.

Goodonya Michael. A champion footballer and a champion bloke!:)

A good, positive role-model for indigeous kids.

Only ignorant fools say otherwise. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Porthos said:
He's always been more of a champion off-field than on-field.

I saw both Long and Wanga at their peak and as good as Wanga was, Longy was better.

Black Panther said:
Long in 1993 was in the Top 5 players in the AFL then did his knee in the 94 pre-season, came back in 1995 and almost won the Brownlow, then did his knee again in Round 1 1996 and was never the same player again
Some of his best stuff wasn`t caught on camera either. Just an amazing talent. Filled in magnificently as Captain when Hird missed the majority of `99.
Champion. Poor old morgoth, take the blinkers off son. I loved his question " Why are all Essendon players champions".....coming from a collingwood fan , magnificent work, they are the first to label anyone who has one good quarter.

morgoth said:
Long the footballer - had one good finals series and was labelled a champion. Did he ever string together a great season? Nope, just flashy player who did the odd brilliant thing but went missing for long periods. Was not prepared to take possession of the ball, prefering to tap it on, some see that as genius I see it as soft. The only time Long had a go was when a blokes head was over the ball.

Long off-field - what has he actually done? The long walk, did nothing for me. I am happy with what the Govt is doing re his issues and think there are far better aborginal leaders who actually want to look forward rather than back. He just has a profile, thats it.

Compared to say ... Woewodin ???

Michael Long is a champion in almost anyone's books (except probably one or two moronic Magpie supporters). :thumbsdown:

fishmonger said:
Compared to say ... Woewodin ???

Michael Long is a champion in almost anyone's books (except probably one or two moronic Magpie supporters). :thumbsdown:

............and mine.

Completely over rated on and off the field. On the field he was brilliant at best, but way too patchy to be considered a champion. Off the field he thinks he is Ghandi, in much the same way Anthony Mundine sees himself as Muhammad Ali.

Matera and Winmar put Long to shame as indigenous players. Not just in talent either, but in sportsmanship.

For me, Long's career will always be ruined by the sickening head high hit on a young Troy Simmonds.

rick James said:
Matera and Winmar put Long to shame as indigenous players. Not just in talent either, but in sportsmanship.

For me, Long's career will always be ruined by the sickening head high hit on a young Troy Simmonds.

Shocking hit wasnt it....:(

Porthos said:
He's always been more of a champion off-field than on-field.

Ah, Porthos and his "Essendon hype" theory again. Love it.

Long was a genius on the field and put in one of the most, if not the most, influential finals series performances since the VFL changed it's name to the AFL.

Injury robbed him of being something even more, but damn he was good anyway, and a great entertainer.

Michael Long was a sporadically brilliant footballer and calling him a champion merely devalues the term. He is a champion to indigenous Australians in that he is a great role model. Since he's retired he has served in makeshift roles such as Essendon's "aboriginal development officer" and the AFL's "aboriginal ambassador." Now he is conducting long walks to aid awareness for the plight of the indigenous Australians. It sounds to me like he doesn't really know what to do with himself, other than a vague desire to improve the lot of his people. Perhaps a career in politics beckons.

He's a pain in the ars.

Too stupid to do anything else other than leech onto a charitable cause.

Played some good football.

Isn't it amazing that if you dare to criticise a player like Long you're labeled a racist.

I'll always remember Long for his effort in the 2000 GF, so if that's how champions behave then Grinter must have been a saint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Back