Michael Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Chewy said:
Yeah but he distinguishes people by their race. Isn't that racism of a sort ? Or is it only called Racism if you say bad things ?

Racism is the belief that one group of people is superior to another group of people due to their race.
Saying "All white people are ********wits" is racist, because it makes a value judgement.

Only white people have the luxury of being able to be colourblind - minority groups are constantly affected by issues of race, and have to deal with it every day.

Well done Longy, a footy player who (apart from one brain fade) was a model on the pitch, and has done something other than stroke his own ego in retirement. Sticking up for people like himself who get steroetyped and discriminated against is a gutsy thing to do.

Long is showing a bit of leadership. He'll have known he'd get his head kicked if he stick it up, so he's shown some guts as well. Its a simple message: there is racism in Australia (yes little Johnny, those were race riots) and its not on. He's copping it on here from the usual d***heads, so he's obviously doing something right.

I don't think he's a champion player, and I don't think he was ever the best player at Essendon, in any of the sides he played in. Mind you, he's up against Danihar, Madden, Hird and Lloyd, so its not exactly putting him down to say that. He'd walk into any side today, even the great West Coast midfield.

Porthos, if you want to talk over-rated ex-Bombers I'm sure you can find one closer to home [coughwanganeencough].

due to footy withdrawal i am just abt to get around to watching a few old games, including the 2000 gf, & each year when i watch it i still for the life of me see any problem his actions re cleaning the clock of that melbourne player, yet reading this thread i read that a few of you still hold it against him. i wonder how many times you have seen it?

anyway, longy was one of the best i have seen play the game simply because he could ignite the crowd like few others - does that make him a champion? well if it doesnt it should.

why doesnt he sell his house and posessions and go and live in a tin shack in Broome.

He could put the money into the Indigenous cause.:thumbsu:....or is that asking too much?

Could start with his guitar

oxx said:
why doesnt he sell his house and posessions and go and live in a tin shack in Broome.

He could put the money into the Indigenous cause.:thumbsu:....or is that asking too much?

Could start with his guitar

Why dont you as well?:thumbsu:

Porthos said:
Simple fact is, Long's career peak neatly coincided with the peak of political correctness, and his stance on aboriginal issues had the PC media slobbering all over him - this happened with Winmar too, really, but he wasn't as vocal. In another era (even this one), Long would just be a club champion, but because of the circumstances of his career he's given the media exposure of an AFL great...and really, he's not.

That is probably a fair statement. But Winmar was a super player, far and away a superior player to Long.

Having said that, as has been highlighted elsewhere, Long's off-field deeds should be recognised. I would imagine he was smart with his money during his career, so he could have easily put his feet up post-career. But he's doing something noble for his people, and has been lauded accordingly. Well played.

rick James said:
Matera and Winmar put Long to shame as indigenous players. Not just in talent either, but in sportsmanship.

For me, Long's career will always be ruined by the sickening head high hit on a young Troy Simmonds.

Me too - one of the most gutless things I have ever seen on the field.

What a dog Long is.
Just like Johnson from Brisbane...and robbie muir...and pickett....

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Back