Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

We're looking at a wasted season. Not sure how much of the malaise can be heaped on Voss but sliding towards the bottom four will have the obvious consequence.
We shouldn't be surprised at another coach sacking, it's not just the Carlton way, it's common in professional sport.
Premier League had 10 sackings last season, 13 this year, and the season hasn't finished yet. C'est la vie.
Spot on agree, no issue in replacing the coach it’s an obvious consequence if by seasons end we don’t see some hope for the future.

It's not really the presser that is the issue is it?

To answer your question though, I think most of us hope for him to say: look, the plan we had in the offseason didn't pan out. we're looking at revamping the gameplan to be more viable and be competitive with the benchmarks of the comp.
Exactly.

We tried to come into the season a new team, but it's just not working. Need to reset

Geelong with a few developing players got done by Richmond - who everyone thinks is crapola. Voss got a draw with a full-strength Richmond on fresh legs in round one and beat Geelong - Voss > Hardwick and Scott. Yes?

Ross the Boss got his coaching certificate microwaved by Adelaide's forward line same as Voss did which shows that Voss got the same result as Lyon yes?

Clarkson's Norfs keep getting destroyed - Carlton dodged a bullet not hitting Clarkson. Yes?

The level of criticism heaped on Voss atm is a joke on Carlton supporters.

When will Carlton supporters stop being so short-termist and realise that developing a winning team doesn't happen overnight and is sometimes constrained by player availability/fitness and dare I say it - how that all stacks up on any given day against opposition matchups...

Sure winning is preferable to losing - but seriously just have a look at Carlton's forward line if you want to understand the constraints on game plan as well as execution....of game plan. Now watch teh game from an analytical perspective - despite the obvious lack of match fitness in Hewett and Cripps and playing what looks like a bottom 4 forward line- because that is what Voss has to work with - he changed strategy after the half and the team put on 5 unanswered goals- to get to the lead with 8 minutes to go - did Voss lose two center bounces leading to direct goals?

So all those who say he has no idea about in game changes required are actually clueless or just being disingenuine.

Was it Voss who got Pittonet injured ( again) during the game? Was it Voss who instructed the players to miss regulation set shots?

The only Carlton losers I know seem to post on here with their surreal entitled expectations and their constant negativity based on an inability to compare what Carlton has in terms of playing personnel versus opposition - it is like who cares who the opponent is and what player assets they have at their disposal and how much more time these players have had playing together - it is Carlton! Carlton has to win every game all the time otherwise the Board and the Coach and the Captain and the this and that has to go.

Just LOLworthy views on here and quite a few posters who seem to delight in Carlton losing so that they can impose their expectations and entitlements on everyone.

Give me Adelaide's small/mid forwards, Richmond's / Geelong's continuity of team and coach, thanks - and if the coach still loses games THEN I would be critical. Sydney made a GF last year- with exactly the same team bar an injury to one KPD - this year?

We aren't as bad as all the complainers on here make out and will only ever be as sustainably good as the list and its state of development is.

The absolute worst thing Carlton can do is call for Voss's head - been there done that with 5 other coaches in the last decade or so- absolutely ridiculous turnover - lack of continuity /development lack of consistent list management/player management - it is a disaster.

if we haven't learned that - we will never learn anything.

Geelong with a few developing players got done by Richmond - who everyone thinks is crapola. Voss got a draw with a full-strength Richmond on fresh legs in round one and beat Geelong - Voss > Hardwick and Scott. Yes?

Ross the Boss got his coaching certificate microwaved by Adelaide's forward line same as Voss did which shows that Voss got the same result as Lyon yes?

Clarkson's Norfs keep getting destroyed - Carlton dodged a bullet not hitting Clarkson. Yes?

When will Carlton supporters stop being so short-termist and realise that developing a winning team doesn't happen overnight and is sometimes constrained by player availability/fitness and dare I say it - how that all stacks up on any given day against opposition matchups...

Sure winning is preferable to losing - but seriously just have a look at Carlton's forward line if you want to understand the constraints on game plan as well as execution....of game plan. Now watch teh game from an analytical perspective - despite the obvious lack of match fitness in Hewett and Cripps and playing what looks like a bottom 4 forward line- because that is what Voss has to work with - he changed strategy after the half and the team put on 5 unanswered goals- to get to the lead with 8 minutes to go - did Voss lose two center bounces leading to direct goals?

So all those who say he has no idea about in game changes required are actually clueless or just being disingenuine.

Was it Voss who got Pittonet injured ( again) during the game? Was it Voss who instructed the players to miss regulation set shots?

The only Carlton losers I know seem to post on here with their surreal entitled expectations and their constant negativity based on an inability to compare what Carlton has in terms of playing personnel versus opposition - it is like who cares who the opponent is and what player assets they have at their disposal and how much more time these players have had playing together - it is Carlton! Carlton has to win every game all the time otherwise the Board and the Coach and the Captain and the this and that has to go.

Just LOLworthy views on here and quite a few posters who seem to delight in Carlton losing so that they can impose their expectations and entitlements on everyone.

Give me Adelaide's small/mid forwards, Richmond's / Geelong's continuity of team and coach, thanks - and if the coach still loses games THEN I would be critical. Sydney made a GF last year- with exactly the same team bar an injury to one KPD - this year?

We aren't as bad as all the complainers on here make out and will only ever be as sustainably good as the list and its state of development is.

The absolute worst thing Carlton can do is call for Voss's head - been there done that with 5 other coaches in the last decade or so- absolutely ridiculous turnover - lack of continuity /development lack of consistent list management/player management - it is a disaster.

In a bad year 'Expectations minus Outcomes' is how we calculate the level of disappointment.

We went into the year with high expectations. We lost no-one of importance over the offseason. None of our best 22 are over 30 so we are expecting improvement from a year which we missed the 8 by %. We brought in some players to plug the holes and by in large have had pretty good health. We have another pre-season under Voss for him to drill in what he wants to the players. Look at the improvement that continuity had for Mcrae's Pies!

We expected improvement. Instead we've gone backwards.

We went from a simple gameplan to one that's overengineered and seemingly outdated.

Worse still, from his words it appears our coach is still intent on 'backing the system'...citing the ugly win against lowly North as proof that 'our system is valid and working'.

We now face the prospect of having 4 wins after 12 rounds. That's not what we hope for, bujt based on the oddsmakers that is the most likely outcome.

What do you expect us to say?

What do you want Voss to say in his presser?

Not "nourishment" for a start. The finding of positives in these losses is not something I want to hear, I want him to say this isn't good enough, we expect to be performing a hell of a lot better than we are.

Maybe the media comments from the club as a whole are starting to eat at me. Cook and Cerra's comments on not making finals for an example, them coupled with the media that Voss does, in my opinion, say the club's ambition is not matching the supporters who have put up with 10 odd years of rebuilding and promised hope. Hope that we should be delivering now and in the next few years whilst we have Cripps, Curnow, Mckay, Doc, Saad, Weitering etc in their prime.

I keep saying to everyone around me as well. Its this group of players with this coach. Thats it. It either happens or it doesn't nothing is guaranteed in football. Need all the stars to align to win a premiership let alone become a dynasty.

This team is at a crossroads right now and need to figure it out. This time though, there is no sacking the coach, there is bail out for the players, they are all in this together.

This Sunday is a massive game for the entire club in my opinion.

Not "nourishment" for a start. The finding of positives in these losses is not something I want to hear, I want him to say this isn't good enough, we expect to be performing a hell of a lot better than we are.

Maybe the media comments from the club as a whole are starting to eat at me. Cook and Cerra's comments on not making finals for an example, them coupled with the media that Voss does, in my opinion, say the club's ambition is not matching the supporters who have put up with 10 odd years of rebuilding and promised hope. Hope that we should be delivering now and in the next few years whilst we have Cripps, Curnow, Mckay, Doc, Saad, Weitering etc in their prime.

I'd say internal messaging would be different from the straight bat approach in public

Players, coaches, club, know the current output isn't at the level it should be. We as supporters know it

So the point for me, if Voss utters those words, what actually changes?

Happy New Year Celebration GIF by Faith Holland

Hypothetical question. Are there any current senior coaches that we could approach to take the job regardless of contract status? We need the best coach full stop, not just the best coach available. Fremantle did it in 2011.

Who gets hurt if we ask the question behind closed doors? I would be quietly fishing around Chris Scott, Damien Hardwick and John Longmire. Other possibilities are Ken Hinkley, Adam Simpson and Luke Beveridge.

Or who are the best assistant coaches that we should consider for the job? This is more of an unknown but Voss is not doing it for me and doesn't look like turning it around any time soon.

Hypothetical question. Are there any current senior coaches that we could approach to take the job regardless of contract status? We need the best coach full stop, not just the best coach available. Fremantle did it in 2011.

Who gets hurt if we ask the question behind closed doors? I would be quietly fishing around Chris Scott, Damien Hardwick and John Longmire. Other possibilities are Ken Hinkley, Adam Simpson and Luke Beveridge.

Or who are the best assistant coaches that we should consider for the job? This is more of an unknown but Voss is not doing it for me and doesn't look like turning it around any time soon.
Reckon Ross could jump ship again if they lose the next couple 😂

It's not really the presser that is the issue is it?

To answer your question though, I think most of us hope for him to say: look, the plan we had in the offseason didn't pan out. we're looking at revamping the gameplan to be more viable and be competitive with the benchmarks of the comp.
Let's start telegraphing punches to satisfy our supporters. Voss has dramatically changed the game plan this year and it is the right plan. He even changed the plan again at half time against the dogs

The club has 4 choices and let us know your preference

1. Play Teagues plan - No defensive pressure. Flood the back half and lose 15 games a year by 5 goals and finish bottom 6 forever

2. Play Voss 2022 game plan- Play 45 minutes of exciting contested football if Cripps is in brownlow form with no ability to score off opposition turnover, lose 10 games a year and finish 9th or 10th forever.

3. Give Voss 2 seasons until end of 2025 to execute the Modern Transition plan. Expose the players who can not run and spread or dispose of the football. See glimpes of transition from the backhalf underpinned by good contested numbers. Win 7 to 10 games this year. Upgrade the list, football department, assistant coaches, fitness and board to impliment this plan and at least build a foundation that may acheive top 4 or win a premiership even if that is under another coach from 2026

4. Sack Voss at the end of this season Employ a coach who will only repackage option 3 as his own plan and hope he gets better results, while signalling to the playing group that they are not responsible for the Club's performance.

I choose option 3 and an open to being convinced 1,2,4 will deliver better results

Last edited:

Sorry - but do you you seriously think the club, it's coaches, the board, the players - do not have ambitions to play finals and win premierships ? Do you think they sat down at the start of they year and planned on 9th ??

Cooks comment was -"It wouldn't be the end of the world” if the club didn't make the finals".

So what are we saying - it would be the end of the world if we didn't make finals ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a bad year 'Expectations minus Outcomes' is how we calculate the level of disappointment.

We went into the year with high expectations. We lost no-one of importance over the offseason. None of our best 22 are over 30 so we are expecting improvement from a year which we missed the 8 by %. We brought in some players to plug the holes and by in large have had pretty good health. We have another pre-season under Voss for him to drill in what he wants to the players. Look at the improvement that continuity had for Mcrae's Pies!

We expected improvement. Instead we've gone backwards.

We went from a simple gameplan to one that's overengineered and seemingly outdated.

Worse still, from his words it appears our coach is still intent on 'backing the system'...citing the ugly win against lowly North as proof that 'our system is valid and working'.

We now face the prospect of having 4 wins after 12 rounds. That's not what we hope for, bujt based on the oddsmakers that is the most likely outcome.

What do you expect us to say?

You both make valid points. When you add it all up and takeaway the bad, Voss is still the right guy for us.
The players need to be held accountable. Also a little bit of professionalism from the top down. Control the things we can control eg:

All players have a goal kicking routine they have to follow no exceptions
Everyone has to have 3 tackles per game minimum
Work on disposal and decision making with drills

Sorry - but do you you seriously think the club, it's coaches, the board, the players - do not have ambitions to play finals and win premierships ? Do you think they sat down at the start of they year and planned on 9th ??

Cooks comment was -"It wouldn't be the end of the world” if the club didn't make the finals".

So what are we saying - it would be the end of the world if we didn't make finals ?
Agree but what’s the problem with cook answering the specific question with a specific answer…yes our goal is to play finals.

We are around about there (finishing 9th last year) anyway so it is obvious and logical that our goals are to play finals.

Hawks/wce/Roos expectations would clearly be different. They’re bottoming out atm.

Problem which I’m fearful of is that it sets the wrong tone through the playing group and perhaps coaches.

I wouldn’t mind betting if asked about winning flag McRae would come and say that’s exactly their goal for this year and probably also last year.

We're looking at a wasted season. Not sure how much of the malaise can be heaped on Voss but sliding towards the bottom four will have the obvious consequence.
We shouldn't be surprised at another coach sacking, it's not just the Carlton way, it's common in professional sport.
Premier League had 10 sackings last season, 13 this year, and the season hasn't finished yet. C'est la vie.

That's the thing I'm struggling to stomach. It's round 9 and season over. Again.

I have no doubt whatsoever the players play for Voss and he's capable of getting them up for the big games as we witnessed in rounds 22 & 23 last season. What happened in the dying minutes was beyond his control. So what then is the problem? Is it our assistants? We saw Richmond clean out their assistants and win three premierships. Maybe that's the answer.

This is nonsense. They cant kick staight is the problem. Get too wide and have hardest possible angled shots and refuse to use the correct kicking techniques (apparently thats on the forwards coach) and then miss sitters too. Basically lairising in front of goal.

Who has improved? I can name a lot who have regressed.

There's a lot of posturing and Voss chest thumping going on today.
What personal or professional harm to him is caused by baggers expressing their disappointment(on bigfooty) with the onfield direction of the club this year? Negative reactions like booing the players during matches or walking out at 3/4 time would definitely have some impact on behind the scenes thinking.
Nobody here is death riding Voss, hoping for failure, and very few are calling for his head.

The outcome is simple, wheigh up our results at the end of the year and decide whether they've been acceptable or not(what is an acceptable result in most peoples eyes?).
And take whatever action is in the best interest of the club.
As it stands now, he has acheived nothing, with Carlton or Brisbane in the past.
Hopefully this will all change from this week onwards, but talk of waiting several years for signs of ability to reveal themselves is a fantasy.

Good luck to him, hope it works.

I'd say internal messaging would be different from the straight bat approach in public

Players, coaches, club, know the current output isn't at the level it should be. We as supporters know it

So the point for me, if Voss utters those words, what actually changes?
The only thing that would happen is a further media pile on, meh, I don't take notice of the press conferences, they are forced and contrived. I'd rather they keep the real message internal.

The only thing that would happen is a further media pile on, meh, I don't take notice of the press conferences, they are forced and contrived. I'd rather they keep the real message internal.
Pretty sure all coaches do.
Its just the media circus and the coaches are contractually bound to turn up and say something and answer the same stupid questions over and over.

Last edited:
Cripps, McKay and Weitering well below their best. Looks a confidence thing with the latter two.

Walsh and Hewitt missed a bit of footy early on.

Need more from the small forwards. The tall forwards arent working well together and are getting negated.

It's just not clicking at present. Shocking skill errors, a little bad luck, and a lack of dash.

It honestly looks like the expectations pre-season are getting inside everyones heads.

I'd honestly be half tempted to give everyone some time off to reset, and then a license to play with dare.

It took chutzpah to articulate this because there are so many posters piling on at the minute. It’s across the board and it’s tiresome. Have your say but don’t repeat the message unless you’ve got something new to contribute. It’s such an uninviting space and I can’t contribute when I read, frankly, abusive and disrespectful comments to people trying to do their best. As for a welcome thread, give me a break. Seperate all the vitriol and start a new thread.

Cripps, McKay and Weitering well below their best. Looks a confidence thing with the latter two.

Walsh and Hewitt missed a bit of footy early on.

Need more from the small forwards. The tall forwards arent working well together and are getting negated.

It's just not clicking at present. Shocking skill errors, a little bad luck, and a lack of dash.

It honestly looks like the expectations pre-season are getting inside everyones heads.

I'd honestly be half tempted to give everyone some time off to reset, and then a license to play with dare.
Yep, sometimes the mind needs a rest and distraction. Take them all for a day-long non-footy team activity during the week to chill; i.e. paintball, hiking, whatever. Get them to relax.

… then we hunt Magpies….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back