Mid Fwd Connection - have we cracked enigma?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think over the last 6 weeks, we have finally arrived at the mirage which has for so long seemed so close, and yet so far.

It’s not just that our forwards hit the scoreboard - it’s the way the forward line looks when we are attacking, and how the mids and half backs enter.

The team actually looks like they know what to do.

We vary our entries - sometimes hitting up the multiple lead up options, sometimes switching across the ground outside 50, sometimes going deep and high, and sometimes getting it out the back.

We seem to be able to create 1v1s for our kpfs.

It really looks far, far harder to defend than our old style of bombing it long and hoping someone crumbs it.

The likes of Treacy and Sturt perform better, because the system, when it is working, isn’t asking too much of them.

And lastly, the masterstroke of getting and using mids ahead of the contest.

It’s all built on a foundation of selfless role play, in fact the forwards take more pride in setting up goals more than they seem to for finishing them.

Kudos to JL - things are pretty much functioning how he said they would all this time, now the pieces are well drilled and mature enough to execute them. And, the players are valuing the right things.

The team is still imperfect, we need to better when the clearances aren’t going our way for one - and the best teams will be difficult to beat.

But for the ever elusive mid forward connection - finally, a massive tick.

Last edited:

One thing I would like to see is when ALL or a number of the forwards are streaming back to goal (when we are on a fast break - sling shot) is ONE of them pivot and lead to the bloke running with the ball. To me this gives the kicker the clear option to hit the easier lead up player rather than the kicker having to kick the ball over the outstretched hands of the defender and lobbing in the hands of the forward. It also splits the defence . Our forwards may not be experienced enough playing together yet to orchestrate this but something they could perhaps work on.🤷‍♂️

One thing I would like to see is when ALL or a number of the forwards are streaming back to goal (when we are on a fast break - sling shot) is ONE of them pivot and lead to the bloke running with the ball. To me this gives the kicker the clear option to hit the easier lead up player rather than the kicker having to kick the ball over the outstretched hands of the defender and lobbing in the hands of the forward. It also splits the defence . Our forwards may not be experienced enough playing together yet to orchestrate this but something they could perhaps work on.🤷‍♂️
They do this in a game & practice at training, it’s called a tick lead (✔️) for obvious reasons.
We worked with Jye on this as a 14/15 year old coming through development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am gob smacked by the virtiol shown toward Matt Taberner here.
He has been a very good servant for the club under trying circumstances with his back injury.He was a better than average player pre his injuries.We had no tother big forward to play. He di his job to the best of his ability at the time.
Get off his back.
It was intersting to wtch later in the game that Serong and the other mids were running out of a forward pocket at times. Just like a rover in the old days of football.
They made mistakes , but with the front on pressure, they were able most times to regain the ball. Also , they have found ways to play down the corridor with pace.

It was very exciting to waatch.

Last edited:
I am gob smacked by the virtiol shown toward Matt Taberner here.
He has been a very good servant for the club under trying circumstances with his back injury.He was a better than average player pre his injuries.We had no tother big forward to play. He di his job to the best of his ability at the time.
Get off his back.
It was intersting to wtch later in the game that Serond and the other mids were running out of a forward pocket at times. Just like a rover in the old days of football.
They made mistakes , but with the front on pressure, they were able most times to regain the ball. Also , they have found ways to play down the corridor with pace.

It was very exciting to waatch.

Oh ffs Karen, it’s a comment on the way he played…get over yourself

They do this in a game & practice at training, it’s called a tick lead (✔️) for obvious reasons.
We worked with Jye on this as a 14/15 year old coming through development.
I haven’t noticed them do it in a match ( players do lead of course but I haven’t really seen it in this particular scenario). I’m sure they do practice it though. Kudos to you re Jye as he is easily the best lead up forward we have.

I think that there are posters here that need to get over themselves.
Mirrors you need.

It’s a comment on the way Taberner clogged space that should be for others or dragged his man to a contest rather than go the other way, or fake lead or block, and it’s clear that the new forward line doesn’t do this…this is why he’s not in the team anymore and will be delisted.
it’s not a comment on his personal attributes, so there’s no need to get your jocks in a knot

I think that there are posters here that need to get over themselves.
Mirrors you need.
You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

I don't know why but I'm my mind I read the last part in Yoda's voice.

Since the shit show vs Sydney, we have averaged 94 points in the last 9 games, we wouldnt of averaged > 90 ppg for a long time
there was some kind of stat (maybe from Montagna) about teams scoring over 90 points for the last part of the season, then going on to win the flag - it was one of his positive remarks about St Kilda

I'm not against rolling Tabs out in round 21.

He'll lead into everyone's space, spoil teammates and still find a way to take 8 contested marks and kick 7.5 (2 ootf).
I'm OK with it for the Bombers. Essendon haven't won a final in a year that Tabs has played against them. Let's keep that going.

It’s a comment on the way Taberner clogged space that should be for others or dragged his man to a contest rather than go the other way, or fake lead or block, and it’s clear that the new forward line doesn’t do this…this is why he’s not in the team anymore and will be delisted.
it’s not a comment on his personal attributes, so there’s no need to get your jocks in a knot
Yes it is a knock on him.
You blokes like to have it bothe ways, When he kicked goals earlier there were comments , like that should have been for Amiss. If Tabs was there in the right place at the right time, it was for Tabs.Experience got him there.
Just knocking for knocking sake is very weak and ordinary.

Think the current synergy as a collective has alot to do with it. Being predictable to each other, where to lead or where they want the ball
Being predictable to teammates but not the opposition has been our winning strategy this year.

If we win the clearance and are taking the ball out of the middle, the opposition expects well handball it to the next player in front of the ball, or bomb it in for a mark, and they’ll set up for that. Instead we’ll do a no-look handball over our right shoulder to the player that’s gotten free on the outside and it leaves opposition teams scrambling a little to adjust to the sudden change in entry point.

Good timing.

Not sure I always agree with Champion data, but I do when they support my argument!

Notably Young one of the best ten kicks inside 50 - Sebba second worst, so bit of upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid Fwd Connection - have we cracked enigma?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back