List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be upset if we took McMahon. He offers something different to Charlie and H. And he can pluck a mark.

But sometimes he’s easily out bodied. And his goal kicking is weird. Can miss the really easy ones (which makes him a very Carlton player I suppose).

He’s probably better down back as an intercepting mark. But he wouldn’t be pushing Kemp or Mitch out of the team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn’t be upset if we took McMahon. He offers something different to Charlie and H. And he can pluck a mark.

But sometimes he’s easily out bodied. And his goal kicking is weird. Can miss the really easy ones (which makes him a very Carlton player I suppose).

He’s probably better down back as an intercepting mark. But he wouldn’t be pushing Kemp or Mitch out of the team.

He adds more versatility and composure that young. I’d happy give him that spot in the squad right now.

I wouldn't mind if we did take McMahon, he's played some good footy in the magoos and may have been a bit stiff to be delisted by the Pies.....BUT, only as a 3rd marking forward, not down back.

We've been playing him up forward in the VFL....may have been a dress rehearsal to give us a good look at him in that position. Just turned 22yo, so still developing.

I think he is AFL quality, just, but is still developing. Still has plenty of physical development to be a genuine AFL KPP. Wouldn’t be a bad call though as he is probably a level above at VFL. Certainly much closer at either end than Lemmey at this stage.

With the Tassie compromised drafts approaching, we do need to get “ahead of the draft”. Our next line of key position players consists of Lewis Young, Harry Lemmey and Sam Durdin. The contracted Young has tenure. He is very capable, but has proven mentally fragile and/or struggles with structures in the modern game. If the “penny dropped”, he would be more than adequate cover and could lead generation next in a few years. Unfortunately that looks unlikely.

Lemmey remains potential. He has the skills and stature to be a very prominent player, but as yet has been rather lackadaisical. He appears to lack aggression. In fairness, there is a decent list of key position players over the years who were underwhelming in their development years to end up fine with maturity. Lemmey is yet to project as better suited to either end of the ground, so developing swingman describes him well. McMahon is a little more developed and would currently be more bankable if called on. “Nigel” Durdin is a very adequate back up defender, with history forward and in the ruck. Has had his own injury issues, so his long term viability begs some questions. Would likely need to be re-rookied to continue in the list long term, and that process has an element of risk attached.

I liked McMahon in his draft year and he is still developing. He was prematurely delisted by the Magpies when somewhat short of KPP, so I would love to know the full context behind that. In his second season with our reserves so we certainly should have some insight. The MSD is a bit of a Russian Roulette, it has more misses than hits, but there are some gems to be had.

Thinking he offers an incremental upgrade of our “back-up” talls. A “Moneyball” addition to strengthen the list and provide some “bridging” between Weitering, Harry and Charlie and our next generation of keys, makes sense. He certainly has not reached his optimum yet, so still has the potential to be a genuine AFL KPP.

There are sure to be a couple of unheralded picks in the MSD, and there may be another Jordan Boyd hidden gem out there, but McMahon does make good sense if we choose to go that way.

Edit: Mardini and Rudd are talls at either end who featured in last years U18 carnival who are on our VFL list and are yet to be seen, so I am wondering at their progress.

I wouldn't mind if we did take McMahon, he's played some good footy in the magoos and may have been a bit stiff to be delisted by the Pies.....BUT, only as a 3rd marking forward, not down back.

We've been playing him up forward in the VFL....may have been a dress rehearsal to give us a good look at him in that position. Just turned 22yo, so still developing.
haven't seen any VFL this year, is he a similar size to curnow - i remeber him as a mid 190s forward with a bit of a leap but not a heap of lateral movement, that still accurate?

Draft article linking us to Riley Collier-Dawkins with one of our MSD picks.

Don't hate it, given our midfield depth is pants. Haven't seen much of him lately, but pre-draft he was talked up as an explosive inside mid. Not sure he's the express mid we want, but if he's a bit of a late bloomer then he's potentially a good option to have behind a 29yo Cripps.

I think he is AFL quality, just, but is still developing. Still has plenty of physical development to be a genuine AFL KPP. Wouldn’t be a bad call though as he is probably a level above at VFL. Certainly much closer at either end than Lemmey at this stage.

With the Tassie compromised drafts approaching, we do need to get “ahead of the draft”. Our next line of key position players consists of Lewis Young, Harry Lemmey and Sam Durdin. The contracted Young has tenure. He is very capable, but has proven mentally fragile and/or struggles with structures in the modern game. If the “penny dropped”, he would be more than adequate cover and could lead generation next in a few years. Unfortunately that looks unlikely.

Lemmey remains potential. He has the skills and stature to be a very prominent player, but as yet has been rather lackadaisical. He appears to lack aggression. In fairness, there is a decent list of key position players over the years who were underwhelming in their development years to end up fine with maturity. Lemmey is yet to project as better suited to either end of the ground, so developing swingman describes him well. McMahon is a little more developed and would currently be more bankable if called on. “Nigel” Durdin is a very adequate back up defender, with history forward and in the ruck. Has had his own injury issues, so his long term viability begs some questions. Would likely need to be re-rookied to continue in the list long term, and that process has an element of risk attached.

I liked McMahon in his draft year and he is still developing. He was prematurely delisted by the Magpies when somewhat short of KPP, so I would love to know the full context behind that. In his second season with our reserves so we certainly should have some insight. The MSD is a bit of a Russian Roulette, it has more misses than hits, but there are some gems to be had.

Thinking he offers an incremental upgrade of our “back-up” talls. A “Moneyball” addition to strengthen the list and provide some “bridging” between Weitering, Harry and Charlie and our next generation of keys, makes sense. He certainly has not reached his optimum yet, so still has the potential to be a genuine AFL KPP.

There are sure to be a couple of unheralded picks in the MSD, and there may be another Jordan Boyd hidden gem out there, but McMahon does make good sense if we choose to go that way.

Edit: Mardini and Rudd are talls at either end who featured in last years U18 carnival who are on our VFL list and are yet to be seen, so I am wondering at their progress.
Agree, McMahon is ahead of Lemmey right now as the plug and play 3rd tall forward option - although he's a few years older than Lem and a few years more advanced in his development. Also, got a good set of dukes on him, whereas Lem isn't strong overhead (which is one of the reasons why they may be trialling him down back).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is his defensive pressure like?
Good, aggressive in nature and quick ish for his size

What are his weaknesses?
Just guessing, but perhaps a lack of maturity body and mind.

Has improved each year and I think he has been our best performed VFL player this year

Can play both ends

I'd say Liam is never going to be an AFL full forward, doesn't seem to be able to build the musculature for that.

But he could be an excellent third tall.

Question marks have been on his consistency, but this season has been very good on that front.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good, aggressive in nature and quick ish for his size

Just guessing, but perhaps a lack of maturity body and mind.

Has improved each year and I think he has been our best performed VFL player this year

Can play both ends
To me, he plays a bit like a taller Owies. Solid in the air, positions well. Easily pushed off the ball and struggles at ground level.

You’d think Duffy would have to be close to venturing down to MEL for his rehab, as I believe was to be the case. He’s into the 7th month since popping it.

Duffy at the club today. Looks in reasonable nick too.

Can’t wait to see what he can do with his athleticism and size. I’d be training him at FB in the same way Collingwood/Adelaide have done with Mark Keane who suddenly looks a great player.

sounds like brad fisher from that

That’s not the worst comparison. (He says, knowing that others will disagree).

He’s a third forward. He can take a mark. He can lead. He loves a snag. And he’s improved this year.

He’s also averaging 2.5 goals a game in a side that’s struggle to score and is equal second on the VFL goal kicking list.

He’s not perfect. But he’s solid. And he would be a point of difference in our forward line.

If we don’t take him someone else will.

RCD makes a bit more sense the more i think about it, although its not a position that will improve an on field weakness, it gives us a ready to go player who can play.

We have no midfield depth and have a player playing regularly, who imo is not up to the standard, RCD i think provides better cover in the event of an injury to one of the inside mids.

If we went down this path, i really hope we use our other pick to target another weak area.

CARLTON

Available list spots prior to Round 11:

The season-long absences of Jack Silvagni and Sam Docherty have resulted in the potential for the Blues to make two selections next Wednesday night.

They’ve been linked to two ex-AFL players in Riley Collier-Dawkinsand Liam McMahon, who’ve impressed for Williamstown and Carlton’s VFL side respectively this season. Big-bodied midfielder Collier-Dawkins has averaged 23.6 disposals and 5.3 tackles from eight games, while key forward McMahon has booted 15.6 from six matches, kicking at least two goals in each game.

RCD makes a bit more sense the more i think about it, although its not a position that will improve an on field weakness, it gives us a ready to go player who can play.

We have no midfield depth and have a player playing regularly, who imo is not up to the standard, RCD i think provides better cover in the event of an injury to one of the inside mids.

If we went down this path, i really hope we use our other pick to target another weak area.

If we do take RCD then it really does not bode well for Jack Carroll’s future at Carlton beyond this year.

I’m not completed against RCD although would’ve thought positionally we have greater priorities such as
1) a backup key position player who could play both ends (eg Liam McMahon)
2) a genuine small forward (eg Eamon Wilkinson)
3) a midfielder who can also be handy near goals (eg Max Hall)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back