Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #11 (2023) - Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

He's laid 13 this year, which sits him at 157th in the league for total tackles.

Average per game:
1. Drew - 6.2
2. Butters - 4.4
3. Bergman - 4.0
4. SPP - 4.0
5. McEntee - 3.3

Totally irreplaceable m8

I mean, the vast majority of the top tacklers in the league are midfielders, for very obvious reasons. McEntee has also missed a game and been subbed out of two others which affect his total tackles and average tackles respectively.

Jed's tackling and defensive pressure is solid. It's literally the reason he's in the team. Whether you'd be better off playing a less defensive minded player who offers more on the offense is debatable for sure. But in terms of the specific role he's being asked to play, he's the best at it.

I mean, the vast majority of the top tacklers in the league are midfielders, for very obvious reasons. McEntee has also missed a game and been subbed out of two others which affect his total tackles and average tackles respectively.

Jed's tackling and defensive pressure is solid. It's literally the reason he's in the team. Whether you'd be better off playing a less defensive minded player who offers more on the offense is debatable for sure. But in terms of the specific role he's being asked to play, he's the best at it.

Of course yeah, it all makes sense now.

I think Narkle has been putting in some great efforts as sub and would like to see him remain in the seniors for the rest of the year. He has kind of an X factor about him, he doesn't always have the greatest impact but I still believe he is a very talented player and looking through the reserves I don't really see anyone I'd rather have in his place.

Being a sub is a hard spot as you never know when you're going to be needed and you're basically just thrown in to the game at any given moment without being given a chance to adjust to the tempo. Your mistakes stick out more and you're probably expected rightly or wrongly to either change the momentum if you're losing, or keep the momentum going if you're up. But I think Narkle has done a really good job these last few weeks and has had many 'almost' games.
He kicked 4 points in a quarter a few weeks ago, imagine if they all went through the big sticks. Any week now he's going to smash it and put in a game winning performance.

I'm a fan 🌈

it's just unfathomable ken's obsession with defensive forwards. yes it's great theoretically for locking the ball inside the fwd line and other 1%er's but when the rest of the forwards aren't scoring you need to be able have someone to use the scoring opportunities and kick goals.

Sparkle will never be AA but has always been AFL quality, and it's criminal that up until a couple of months ago he was below McEntee and to a lesser extent Evans on the depth chart. Brilliant clutch goal.

Some posters liked to tell us that your last 5 or so selected players don't matter. They are wrong. We play McEntee instead of Narkle last night and we lose.

Would've been awesome if that tap back in to play hadn't been called a behind. It was right in front of me so I wasn't able to tell if it had gone over the line until I saw the score review, and admittedly I did fall off my seat in disbelief. Was really good to see the boys get behind him when it looked like he'd saved a behind and helped set up a set shot so I was pretty upset for him. Nonetheless, kicking the winning goal, can't get much better than that! Did what he had to do, and did it well considering he's hardly a like-for-like replacement for Marshall who was subbed off for him. Covered Rioli playing below his best really well too. Been a big wrap for him and I think he's shown just how important he can be last night, hope to see him stay in the side ahead of Cheese and Evans.

Sparkle will never be AA but has always been AFL quality, and it's criminal that up until a couple of months ago he was below McEntee and to a lesser extent Evans on the depth chart. Brilliant clutch goal.

Some posters liked to tell us that your last 5 or so selected players don't matter. They are wrong. We play McEntee instead of Narkle last night and we lose.
I feel like Narkle might have actually found a niche as a permanent sub.

His lesser tank and speed is minimised and he seems to impact quite well.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Cracking goal.

Would've been awesome if that tap back in to play hadn't been called a behind. It was right in front of me so I wasn't able to tell if it had gone over the line until I saw the score review, and admittedly I did fall off my seat in disbelief.
Was over the line by a centimetre or two. Pity they didn't apply that rule a week or two ago when the goal umpire left his flags hanging out the back like grandpa's baggy underpants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's unfortunate is that he may end up delisted whilst others with a year to run on their contract will most likely stay on the list.

What's unfortunate is that he may end up delisted whilst others with a year to run on their contract will most likely stay on the list.
We cut Pasini with a year to run. No reason we couldn't do the same to Dead McEntee.

What can you say?

Great desperation by the Hornet, Boak and Wines to get the ball from stoppage.

Basically the ball is up for grabs and Narkle takes a fantastic mark against a larger opponent in Lever.

He goes back and splits the middle for the go ahead goal late in the match without a hair out of place.

Quinton 'The 'Do' Narkle, my friends.

The last 5 players don't matter if your top players do not play to the high standards they are expected to reach.

Easy to say without Narkle they don't win. They also have no chance if JHF and Butters only have 18 touches each and if Rozee doesn't go ham in in the last quarter.

The last 5 players don't matter if your top players do not play to the high standards they are expected to reach.

Easy to say without Narkle they don't win. They also have no chance if JHF and Butters only have 18 touches each and if Rozee doesn't go ham in in the last quarter.
I don't believe I ever said otherwise. My point is every position on the field is important, not just the top few.

I don't believe I ever said otherwise. My point is every position on the field is important, not just the top few.

I would suggest you can get away with a few of your bottom players having off games. I mean, take last night for example. You've highlighted Narkle's efforts in the 2nd half (particularly his game winning goal), but Rioli and Frankie were practically invisible, and Sweet got pantsed by Gawn. Jackson Mead also had a bad game (a rarity, he's pretty consistent), and even Wines and Drew had poor games relative to recent form.

Mind you, I can't recall too many games where the bottom 5-6 players have played pretty bloody poor, and yet the Club have still found a way to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #11 (2023) - Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back