More disappointing era: 03-05 Freo or 22-24 Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Both began with breakout Finals appearances, followed up with disappointing seasons of missing the eight. If I'm not mistaken, the Chris Connolly era was seen as a talented list underperforming and not meeting expectations. They turned it around in the back half of 2006, finished in the top four, won a home final, and made a prelim. Time will tell if Justin Longmuir's team follows suit.

But which period was more disappointing? Which list was more talented, and which team had greater expectations?

Freo has a very good midfield, but KPD and KPF are garbage. Back in 03-05 it was a relatively even team all over with the likes of McPharlin Pavlich and Sandilands being very good KPP's.
Seeing Hogan reach his potential must hurt. It just wasn't meant to be. There's an alternate reality where he's doing this for Freo, they make multiple Finals, and Ross is still the coach.

Freo has a very good midfield, but KPD and KPF are garbage. Back in 03-05 it was a relatively even team all over with the likes of McPharlin Pavlich and Sandilands being very good KPP's.
Pearce would've been AA if not for injury and Treacy plays in every team in the league. What the **** are you smoking?

Very small margins, and a very young side. We'll be up and about next year.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pearce would've been AA if not for injury and Treacy plays in every team in the league. What the **** are you smoking?

Pearce had a good year pre injury, but I'd struggle to put him in the top 10 KPD's in the league, over his career.

Treacy is average at best

KPDs and KPFs are indeed good, so was a weird comment.

That's what your mob said last year and this year though. Can only use the 'young' excuse for so long.

Team's talented enough to make top 4 but it's a combo of players shitting the bed and a coach with no plan B that's led to the disappointment of losing the last 4 games Freo should've won to sew up top 4.

KPDs and KPFs are indeed good, so was a weird comment.

That's what your mob said last year and this year though. Can only use the 'young' excuse for so long.

Team's talented enough to make top 4 but it's a combo of players shitting the bed and a coach with no plan B that's led to the disappointment of losing the last 4 games Freo should've won to sew up top 4.
Doesn't make it any less true though. Yeah, we should've made it this year. We didn't.

Percentage says we should've. Have teams with easier draws made it? For sure. Would I expect Freo to take another step forward next year? Absolutely.

For mine, this side is better than the '22 side that finished 5th, unfortunately dropped some close ones, and were inconsistent at times. It is what it is I guess, but I'm bullish on this team.

Both began with breakout Finals appearances, followed up with disappointing seasons of missing the eight. If I'm not mistaken, the Chris Connolly era was seen as a talented list underperforming and not meeting expectations. They turned it around in the back half of 2006, finished in the top four, won a home final, and made a prelim. Time will tell if Justin Longmuir's team follows suit.

But which period was more disappointing? Which list was more talented, and which team had greater expectations?
To this day I am still frustrated with that Chris Connolly coaching era of 2002-7.

Dockers made finals in 2003. 5th spot just like the 2022 dockers side. got belted by essendon in that elim final.

Dockers 2004 side won 6 games at home and lost 6 home games. they also won 5 away games and lost 5 away games. Dockers 2004 season is scarily similar to the dockers this season.

2004: Dockers had 11 wins and 7 losses. Just needed one more win to make finals. They had collingwood at home and lost. Docker lost the other 3 remaining games.

2005: Freo looked good. But it came down to the last game of the season vs Port at Footy park. The winner gets 7th spot and plays 6th placed North Melbourne.

Dockers lead by 10 points at half time, they then lost by 45 points. How do I know that? Well I was sadly there.

As for the 2022-24 dockers...

2022: 15 wins, 6 losses and 1 draw. 5th spot and a home elim final vs the dogs. I will always savour that home elim final win. Why? Well knowing how crap the dockers have been in their 30 year existence, it was only their 7th finals win in their AFL history.

2023: Didnt look great. We were 0-2 then 2-5 after 7 games. We then were 6-5 as We won 4 in a row before our round 12 bye. After that bye we won only 4 more ggames to become 10-13 and took 14th spot. There were not narrow losses, Those were 30-40 point losses. Common cause of those losses was Horrible 1st quarters.

2024: Looked ok in some parts of the season, horrible with others. Dockers last 4 games of the season.... 1 ppoint loss to essendon. That loss didnt kill our season, it knocked the wind outof us. Followed up by a 2 goal loss to Cats in Perth. THen came a 9 point loss to GWS. Then a 20 point loss to finish off the season to get 10th.

Given the opinion of those 2, I am more frustrated with the dockers 2003-5 side than the 2022-24 side.

That 2003-5 side was capable and should of made (elimination) finals each year in that 3 year stretch.

Their forwards are not garbage at all.
They are just young and inexperienced.

Treacy: 56 games
Amiss: 47 games
Sturt: 32 games

Their forwards are not garbage at all.
They are just young and inexperienced.

Treacy: 56 games
Amiss: 47 games
Sturt: 32 games

Treacy kicked 45 goals and 15 behinds from 20 games.

Amiss kicked 38 goals and 28 behinds prior to today.

Sturt is ok. Played stuff all games from 2019-21 due to injuries. if he wasnt injured, he was playing games in the WAFL. Solid in 2022, 2023 and 2024.

He is out of contract too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't make it any less true though. Yeah, we should've made it this year. We didn't.

Percentage says we should've. Have teams with easier draws made it? For sure. Would I expect Freo to take another step forward next year? Absolutely.

For mine, this side is better than the '22 side that finished 5th, unfortunately dropped some close ones, and were inconsistent at times. It is what it is I guess, but I'm bullish on this team.

22 was misleading in that overachieved to make 5th when Bullies had you covered and then did, well a Freo.

22 was misleading in that overachieved to make 5th when Bullies had you covered and then did, well a Freo.
I call bulls**t that Freo overachieved or misleading. They narrowly missed out on finals in 2021. Bloody Essendon beat Freo narrowly in marvel each year from 2019-2021.

We belted the bombers in docklands in 2022 by 7 or 8 goals.

I am glad Freo got 5th rather than 4th in 2022. Freo getting 5th got Freo an Elim final win.

Had Freo got 4th, they would of gone out in straight sets.

Geelong would of belted Freo at the MCG and would of won the 2022 flag regardless.

Freo then would of faced either swans or Magpies in a semi final in Perth. Both sides belted Freo in Perth in the 2nd half of 2022.

I think many in the media etc have just overrated them. They are - like many teams - a middle of the road club who occasionally play very good. Closer to Essendon than Port. They're not a top 4 contender with this list, imo, and that's not with any bias. Maybe in the next few years they could rise to that top 4 level, but even the likes of Brayshaw, Serong don't drag them across the line like a Bont, Naicos, Cripps would.

Yesterday they were trying everything but just looked powerless against the Power. They had enough of the ball and it was inside 50 after inside 50 with little to show for it. Accuracy wasn't the best either. It's like they couldn't find another gear. Maybe its partly fatigue or something.

I think many in the media etc have just overrated them. They are - like many teams - a middle of the road club who occasionally play very good. Closer to Essendon than Port. They're not a top 4 contender with this list, imo, and that's not with any bias. Maybe in the next few years they could rise to that top 4 level, but even the likes of Brayshaw, Serong don't drag them across the line like a Bont, Naicos, Cripps would.

Yesterday they were trying everything but just looked powerless against the Power. They had enough of the ball and it was inside 50 after inside 50 with little to show for it. Accuracy wasn't the best either. It's like they couldn't find another gear. Maybe its partly fatigue or something.
I don't think the dockers are overrated. They were capable of getting a spot between 5th to 8th

It's 2024 now. In 2022, they finished 5th and won a memorable and entertaining Elim final.

Certain players were injured.

Can't even use the young squad excuse when port Adelaide had a 23 year old Zack butters and a 21 year old Jason Horne Francis I'm that squad.

I don't expect Justin Longmuir to get Freo to a flag but I do expect finals under him

Time for Justin Longmuir to leave. Missing our on finals in 2020-21 and 2023-4 isn't helping him.

Wow so now bigfooty allows troll threads on the main board instead of the Bay?

Sweet
This is a legitimate thread. I noticed several parallels between these two eras, including the final game of the season being a Finals-deciding matchup against Port Adelaide. Not everything has an agenda. Chill.

This is a legitimate thread. I noticed several parallels between these two eras, including the final game of the season being a Finals-deciding matchup against Port Adelaide. Not everything has an agenda. Chill.
Eagles poster talking about Freo's disappointing season? When your own club is currently in its worst ever position in their entire history?
Sure mate, I believe you.

Eagles poster talking about Freo's disappointing season? When your own club is currently in its worst ever position in their entire history?
Sure mate, I believe you.
Why would anyone want to discuss one of the worst teams in the AFL? It's been repeated ad nauseam. I think you're acting paranoid. Stop derailing the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

More disappointing era: 03-05 Freo or 22-24 Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back