Most Overated Player on BigFooty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe last year, but this year hardly a post!!

McLean was superb last year and deserved every bit of praise. This year there wasn't much to praise because he was barely out on the park.

Chris Juddas.

Here's some of the key criticisms that i picked up following him over the last 6 years...Judd's disposal by foot is mediocre at best and he rarely hits targets inside 50. He's a very average set shot at goal and you'd much prefer him on the run. Injuries are starting to creep in. Played his first 80 odd games without missing one, since then he's missed 4 with his hammy, 6 with his groin this season (plus the other 6 he played with no impact).

Once his pace diminishes, his impact will drop away very quickly, unlike Buckley/Ricciuto whose brilliant strength and disposal lengthened their career dramatically.

Thomas looks a far more exciting prospect than Murphy who easily wins the most over-rated tag.

theres always one muppet, or more likely on here alot more..

1st off why bring up murphy? he wasn't mentioned in my post.

2nd off tell me what Thomas has done which is so good? did his 15 touches a game and less than a goal a game do it for you? just great numbers for an outside inconsistent so-called midfielder/hff.

better than richmonds....opps there i go falling into your trap of bringing up totally irrelevant cr*p.

Although he isn't extremely rated, i would say Cameron Wood is overrated by the fact that alot of people say hes a ready made ruckman, when really he hasn't done too much to suggest he's ready for a number.1 ruckman role.

1st off why bring up murphy? he wasn't mentioned in my post.

2nd off tell me what Thomas has done which is so good? did his 15 touches a game and less than a goal a game do it for you? just great numbers for an outside inconsistent so-called midfielder/hff.

1) I bring up Murphy because he was selected ahead of Thomas and hasn't been anywhere near as effective. You also go for Carlton and perhaps need to look in your own back yard at some of your draft picks who are extremely over-rated by Blues supporters.

2) Thomas may not get a heap of possessions but he is a high impact player. I have also been extremely impressed with his work ethic and team play. Stats aren't everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) I bring up Murphy because he was selected ahead of Thomas and hasn't been anywhere near as effective. You also go for Carlton and perhaps need to look in your own back yard at some of your draft picks who are extremely over-rated by Blues supporters.

2) Thomas may not get a heap of possessions but he is a high impact player. I have also been extremely impressed with his work ethic and team play. Stats aren't everything.

Thomas wouldn't have had much of an impact in the Carlton side that has struggled the last 2 years. Murph especially this year was tagged to the bejesus every week after Stevo was ruled out for the season. His first season was cut short be a crunching tackle by his tagger Copeland who was giving it to him all night playing as a close checking tagger.

Have a look at Murph at the end of 2008 and I think that you may change your opinion if his season isn't interuptted by injury.

Thomas wouldn't have had much of an impact in the Carlton side that has struggled the last 2 years. Murph especially this year was tagged to the bejesus every week after Stevo was ruled out for the season. His first season was cut short be a crunching tackle by his tagger Copeland who was giving it to him all nightplaying a clsoe checking tagger.

Have a look at Murph at the end of 2008 and I think that you may change your opinion if his season isn't interuptted by injury.

True Murphy may become a gun but he's not one yet. You'd think he was the way he gets pumped up by your mob.
Deledio too had trouble shaking the tag this season and like Murphy has yet to take the next step.
I just think that Thomas is already is indicating genuine star qualities where as Murphy and Deledio aren't at the same point yet.

Still early days for all of them and likely they'll all be very good players.

:D what a load of dribble. here's a little tip, just because some Carlton supporters overrate players, doesn't mean we all do. and for the record every club has supporters that do.

if you actually believe half the stuff you posted seriously get out and watch a few games :thumbsu:

Thomas is a front running down hill skier who flashes in and out of games. he does look good at times i'll happily admit, but he's inconsistent.

If he improves a bit opposition coaches may think about throwing a tag on him and we'll see how he copes. of course we obviously don't know yet as it hasn't happened.

Pffft. Thomas spends lots of time on the pine, and the vast majority of his time forward. He gets very little time through the middle, though next year he will get a lot more. Murphy on the other hand, gets all of his time in the middle.

That said, Murphy averages all of 2 disposals more per game. :rolleyes:

Thomas averages 0.4 more goals (not all that much), 2 marks, and slightly more tackles. Plus, Thomas is a game breaker, he breaks the lines and takes 3-4 bounces reguarly. He always does ther 1%ers, and goes in for the hardball all the time, despite the fact that Calrton supporters refuse to admit. He's a big time player, as he has shown many times (eg. semi final in subi).

Oh well, I won't bother arguing it. Once Thomas gets a big midfield role, everyone can see for themselves.

Dale Thomas' finals performances put him up another notch in my book. Terrific prospect - I was determined to dislike him - but am so impressed.

When the dogs touched up the pies earlier this year - Thomas' had quality touches and looked dangerous all day - and I was so impressed by his fearless attack. That was in a side that was 'struggling' on that day.

I do watch alot of football nearly every game but missed a few geelong games because i hate to see one sided affairs, i conceed i didn't notice him playing on a lot of the main forwards but from what i saw i of him he was overrated often contests being saved by harley/scarrlet punches and those players u mentioned checking the stats he played well against only a couple of them Matthew Richardson 2 in ur first match against them where he played as ruckman for second half Johnathon Browns firsts game back from injury i still consider him your 3rd/4th string backman (Milburn) Similar to Mal Micheal/Fletcher with Dustin being the better player but not holding forwards as well. Dont get me wrong i love geelong thanks for bringing the cup back to vics but with a power midfield like you do KPP's are less required.

In regards to my football skills, sarcasim just stressing a point

Chill ppl Chill

Dear oh dear Jonesy you're just digging yourself in deeper. Egan has regularly stood the best backman every week. Every defender in the league has his team mates dropping back to help him out. Cripes, Tomcat missed a lot of early season games back then. Egan is top shelf and I'd rate him as the number one KP backman as he generally stood on the Gorillas. We lost quite a bit when he went down against the Lions in the last match. We especially missed Egan against the Pies.

regards,

REB

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Overated Player on BigFooty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back