Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide of the 2002 - 2005 would be most under rated, if it wasnt for coming up against the mighty Brisbane team tgey would have won 3 flags.

The Essendon 2000 team was rubbish, Midfield of Jason Johnson, Mark Johnson, Peverill,, Misiti and Mercuri somehow won a flag.

Brisbane had nothing to do with Port choking in the 2002 and 2003 QFs. In fact 2003 is an excellent comparison. Both lost their QFs, yet Port put in an insipid performance against Collingwood in their PF. Brisbane OTOH looked dead and buried at 3/4 time in their PF against Sydney, and then put in 5 quarters of exceptional football to complete the threepeat.

It's ridiculous how often this is brought up and how wrong people viewed it. He was asked whether he believed his team could win the premiership that year and he said yes. He said every team should strive for that. He never declared that the hawks would win the premiership.

He certainly did. And the assembled press corps burst into laughter. His coaching career ended at that point, but for some reason he got to coach the team in 17 games.

Granted... it's only two games in... but...

How did the media and a fair percentage of the football public get it so wrong about Brisbane this year? They weren't tipped to win the premiership but many fancied them as a genuine finals chance.

From what I've seen so far the only thing they are a genuine chance of is finishing in the bottom 4.

Done well in the midfield recruiting department... but that's about it.

2011 was a two-horse race between dominant Collingwood and Geelong teams
Two-horse race?? :rolleyes: No, it wasn't. The media ignored Hawthorn throughout 2011 because in the space of 3-4 weeks, we lost a bunch of players to season-ending injuries (including Roughead with a snapped achilles tendon)

The Hawks defied the soothsayers of doom to finished 3rd, 18-4, 144.0%
But you wouldn't have known it however for all the Geelong/Collingwood cheerleading in the media.

Hawthorn had one foot in the Grand Final when they led the Pies all night by 2-3 goals in a low-scoring Preliminary Final. I didn't hear anyone saying it was a two-horse race between the Collingwood and Geelong teams when Hawthorn led at 3/4 time: 7.11 (53), 5.6 (36)

Most people thought it would be a Geelong v Hawthorn Grand Final when Buddy turned Chris Tarrant inside out and kicked a miracle goal from Row Z to give us back the lead, entering time-on.

I reckon the Hawks would've given Geelong a closer game in the GF than a fatigued, sore Magpie outfit who turned up their toes in the second half of that game with a number of injured players. I know Geelong beat Hawthorn by 5 goals in the Qualifying Final, but that was probably a closer game than the final score indicated. Geelong 8.3.51 led a wasteful Hawthorn 6.12.48 at the 20 minute mark of the 3rd qtr, then won it with a 4 goal flurry in time-on. On Grand Final day, you never know… Losing Roughie for the season was a big blow… Maybe his loss cost us a flag...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two-horse race?? :rolleyes: No, it wasn't. The media ignored Hawthorn throughout 2011 because in the space of 3-4 weeks, we lost a bunch of players to season-ending injuries (including Roughead with a snapped achilles tendon)

The Hawks defied the soothsayers of doom to finished 3rd, 18-4, 144.0%
But you wouldn't have known it however for all the Geelong/Collingwood cheerleading in the media.

Hawthorn had one foot in the Grand Final when they led the Pies all night by 2-3 goals in a low-scoring Preliminary Final. I reckon most people thought we were home when Buddy turned Chris Tarrant inside out and kicked a miracle goal from Row Z to give us back the lead, entering time-on.

I didn't hear anyone saying it was a two-horse race between the Collingwood and Geelong teams when Hawthorn led at 3/4 time: 7.11 (53), 5.6 (36)

I reckon the Hawks would've given Geelong a closer game in the GF than a fatigued, sore Magpie outfit who turned up their toes in the second half of that game with a number of injured players. I know Geelong beat Hawthorn by 5 goals in the Qualifying Final, but that was probably a closer game than the final score indicated. Geelong 8.3.51 led a wasteful Hawthorn 6.12.48 at the 20 minute mark of the 3rd qtr, then won it with a 4 goal flurry in time-on. On Grand Final day, you never know… Losing Roughie for the season was a big blow… Maybe his loss cost us a flag...
2011 grand final was a lot closer then the final score showed as well, aside from the result from a Collingwood perspective, it was a great game of footy.

crows when they just couldnt win a final. forget the era dates but it was pretty bad

I wouldn't count 2002 as there was no way Adelaide were going to beat a tough unit like Brisbane in a GF and as bad as "right in front of me" was in 2009, Adelaide also would not have stood a chance against a Geelong side seeking redemption for '08, but 2005/2006 could be called the choking years. Get past West Coast on both occasions and Adelaide play a Sydney side they were absolutely comfortable handling.

Recent years Port Adelaide. Had a powder puff draw last year and really being tested now. Could be 0-4 this year. Won 6 out of their last 16.

Richmond. I love their supporters. 8% can see they're a 7-9 place side while the other 92% see them as a top 4 premiership winning team. I happen to work with both of them!

Legends in their own lunch boxes.

Rate North Melbourne. Could actually pinch it if things go their way. Gives Hawthorn headaches all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back