List Mgmt. MSD Watch 2023 [NMFC select Robert Hansen Jnr with #2 in 2023 MSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Caleb Poulter? Saw he put in a late nomination

Wouldn’t be against it, like Connor Downie he is a very very strong runner and knows how to play the wing role really well. His kicking can be a bit hit and miss and he isn’t the most physical player out there, but there is plenty to work with due to his run and carry.

With our lack of tall/midsized tall forwards through injury and also list management, what are everyone's thoughts on T Sellers in our VFL team. He is 193cm and a great contested mark. Have a look at his mark in the last quarter against Casey at about the 20 minute mark. Excellent mark and then kicked the goal.....think he kicked 3 from 4 shots on the day

Wouldn’t be against it, like Connor Downie he is a very very strong runner and knows how to play the wing role really well. His kicking can be a bit hit and miss and he isn’t the most physical player out there, but there is plenty to work with due to his run and carry.
like Downie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne, which currently holds pick 2, is believed to have its eyes on 204cm Eastern Ranges ruckman-forward Clay Tucker, who is another player to have attracted plenty of interest from clubs.

Former Carlton and Melbourne defender Oscar McDonald is on the verge of reigniting his AFL career at a third club in next week’s mid-season rookie draft.
McDonald is expected to fill a hole in an injury-hit Sydney backline in the back half of the year after lodging a late draft nomination this week.

The Swans have been decimated by injury among their key defenders this season, with McDonald shaping as a ready-made replacement after an impressive campaign for Williamstown in the VFL.

The 27-year-old was delisted by Carlton at the end of last season after spending the majority of the past two seasons on the sidelines with stress fractures in his back.

However, he has since got his body right and has played all eight games for Williamstown, averaging 16.8 disposals and 8.3 marks.

McDonald, who measures 196cm, has also rated elite in the VFL for intercept marks (4 a game) and above average for intercept possessions (8.9 a game).
Sydney defenders Paddy McCartin (concussion), Tom McCartin (concussion) and Dane Rampe (neck) are all currently on the sidelines, with uncertainty remaining around Paddy McCartin’s football future.

McDonald’s Williamstown teammate and former Melbourne defender Marty Hore has also attracted some late interest ahead of the mid-season draft, including from the Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney.

Hore, 27, has been the leading intercept player in the VFL this year, averaging 5.6 intercept marks and 10.4 intercept possessions.

Former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith is understood to have attracted interest from Geelong and is another player to have made a late draft nomination this week.

The 206cm big man has been the best performing ruckman in the VFL this year, averaging 15.1 disposals and 40.9 hitouts a game for Port Melbourne.

Naismith, who turns 31 in July, played 30 games across nine seasons for the Swans before being delisted at the end of last year.

Gippsland Power forward Ryan Maric is tipped to join West Coast, who hold the No.1 pick in next Wednesday’s draft.

The 193cm Maric has spoken to 10 clubs in the lead up to the draft after being a bolter this year following a four-goal haul in the opening round of the Coates Talent League.

Maric booted two goals in an eye-catching VFL debut for Box Hill last weekend and has trained with Hawthorn over the past week.

North Melbourne, which currently holds pick 2, is believed to have its eyes on 204cm Eastern Ranges ruckman-forward Clay Tucker, who is another player to have attracted plenty of interest from clubs.

Oakleigh Chargers tall forward Will Elliot, West Australian speedster Robert Hansen Jr, Calder Cannons halfback Rye Penny and Richmond VFL forward James Trezise are among other players who have caught the attention of a large number of clubs.

Recruiters expect about a dozen players to be selected next Wednesday, less than last year’s mid-season draft when 17 picks were used.

Are we taking the Piss? We have so many holes on the list and lack of 24-27 year olds…. Last thing the club needs is another developing ruckman on the list. We need players who are ready to play NOW.

Have Xerri, CCJ, Free and Goldy still has 1-2 years left. We missed with the Edwards pick, surely we have learnt our lesson.

Are we taking the Piss? We have so many holes on the list and lack of 24-27 year olds…. Last thing the club needs is another developing ruckman on the list. We need players who are ready to play NOW.

Have Xerri, CCJ, Free and Goldy still has 1-2 years left. We missed with the Edwards pick, surely we have learnt our lesson.
Free is possibly out for the season with his shoulder injury.

Damn, do we really need this big fella? Can’t see him contributing this year…?

Whatever, I genuinely give up on understanding our approach to the MSD.

There seems to be a few ready made guys out there who could come in and compete for spots in areas of need (forward, half back), but it doesn’t look like we’ll take that approach.

If we want a ruck, throw a mill at Sean Darcy and just get him over.

I don't mind Tucker, I think there is a stack of upside there. However, I had never really considered him as a realistic possibility because I think we have needs elsewhere. In saying that, considering he is an overage player his numbers this year don't really jump off the page. 5 games, for 4 goals, avg 10.4 disposals per game, 3.4 marks and 21 hitouts.

Damn, do we really need this big fella? Can’t see him contributing this year…?

Whatever, I genuinely give up on understanding our approach to the MSD.

There seems to be a few ready made guys out there who could come in and compete for spots in areas of need (forward, half back), but it doesn’t look like we’ll take that approach.

If we want a ruck, throw a mill at Sean Darcy and just get him over.
yet another project ruckman, i really think we are better served getting older rucks like free. goldy is a generational ruckman and will be a while before we get another servant like him, but we are kidding ourselves with the likes of edwards and mabon.

Buller is more a forward than ruck
He’s that power forward if we wanted to free up larkey
Thanks, I just went and watched the footage of both Maric and Buller albeit 10 mins worth of each. Correct me if I'm wrong but very different players aren't they.....I was quite surprised by Maric's mobility and pressure he applies and at his size at AFL level I see him more as a 3rd tall (a Mason Wood type perhaps). Buller looks much more a genuine key position player at AFL level, and for some reason my gut tells me he is more likely to translate to AFL standard than Maric. Daresay Buller could come in and be ahead of Edwards as a fwd/ruck.

Free is possibly out for the season with his shoulder injury.
yeah I wouldn't be worried about this season.....we're sitting 17th, I'd be more interested in prioritizing a player that would a) be highly likely to be picked up in this years ND, and b) will help us into the future. Even better if can help us now and/or fill a list need.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. MSD Watch 2023 [NMFC select Robert Hansen Jnr with #2 in 2023 MSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back