NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

how bout this for a trade off.
the afl can have their richmond collingwood game on sat 28th night, and the ffa find a new time/venue for the grand final.
then as a compromise the ffa can have the mcg on the last saturday of september for a pre season game, while the afl can find a new time/venue for the grand final?

sometimes i wonder how some of you even have the iq to operate a computer let alone post on a forum. common sense will hopefully prevail and the a-league grand final will be on its desired time. can you imagine the uproar if what i wrote above happened and the ffa had the mcg booked for the last saturday in september. (even though it wont happen ever)

the afl can have their richmond collingwood game on sat 28th night, and the ffa find a new time/venue for the grand final.
then as a compromise the ffa can have the mcg on the last saturday of september for a pre season game, while the afl can find a new time/venue for the grand final?

sometimes i wonder how some of you even have the iq to operate a computer let alone post on a forum. common sense will hopefully prevail and the a-league grand final will be on its desired time. can you imagine the uproar if what i wrote above happened and the ffa had the mcg booked for the last saturday in september. (even though it wont happen ever)

AFL have the last Saturday in September booked for the next 35 years or so - per existing contractual agreements.

The question you should be asking is - why did the FFA not think to book Telstra Dome for Feb. 28th when they knew they might need it given their fixture!

Ineptitude on the part of the FFA and Ian Collins at TD is to blame here - how can the AFL be expected to formulate their fixtures (especially at a ground that their matches financially support (40+ matches per year)) around potential fixtures from other codes that even the other codes aren't even able to fixture properly! What has that got to do with the AFL!!!

Before people keep throwing about the "bogan" tag - I think the A-League Grand Final, on balance, should probably be played at TD - but in future it shouldn't be in this type of situation given the Bubble Stadium.

But, the FFA and TD should be dragged over the coals for this and the AFL should probably pocket whatever money is made from the A-League Grand Final by the FFA and TD in compensation for being stuffed around.

Not to mention Channel 10 - maybe Foxsports should compensate Channel 10.

A-League pre season in 09 will be in July. If they book it before the AFL than I dont care. Because they booked it first. But not coming in an saying get out we will get a bigger crowd.

Sorry. I did deflate my crowds too lazy to add the real number

With Melbourne Victory - 12181 instead of 12000
Without Melbourne Victory - 10612 instead of 10000

With Brisbane Broncos - 17038 instead of 17000
Without Brisbane Broncos - 15760 (sorry I made 1 stuff up earlier ( i divided by 179 instead of 180 only made a differance of 88)) instead of 15000

With Collingwood Magpies - 36996
Without Collingwood Magpies - 35515

You seem to have forgotten the most significant crowd attendance figures for soccer, to suit your agenda. Please redo your numbers to include all socceroos games, as well as asian champions league (here and abroad). You should have to add the 90,000 in Indonesia 2 weeks ago and 70,000 in Yokohama last week, but how about you don't include them for now b/c you won't want to.

You need to remember soccer appears on many different levels - please count these. its not like AFL that only have one competition. If you do this then you're ignoring the real number.

You seem to have forgotten the most significant crowd attendance figures for soccer, to suit your agenda. Please redo your numbers to include all socceroos games, as well as asian champions league (here and abroad). You should have to add the 90,000 in Indonesia 2 weeks ago and 70,000 in Yokohama last week, but how about you don't include them for now b/c you won't want to.

You need to remember soccer appears on many different levels - please count these. its not like AFL that only have one competition. If you do this then you're ignoring the real number.
That has nothing to do with A-league crowd numbers

For all those whinging that the AFL has the legal right to the ground. WRONG!

Sportal understands that a clause in the user agreement between Telstra Dome and the AFL gives Dome management the right to stage the A-League Grand Final at the ground in the event it clashes with an AFL pre-season match.
http://sportal.com.au/Football-news-display/dome-will-host-a-league-65200

So there you go, it's in the contract that TD effectively have the final say on which game will go ahead. The AFL has no legal leg to stand on (which any non-biased person would have been able to tell you from the start).

What's your next argument?

This from the ABC site an hour ago.

AFL makes way for A-League decider

Melbourne will hold its second A-League grand final after the Victory smashed Adelaide.

The A-League grand final is expected to be played as scheduled at Melbourne's Docklands stadium on Saturday February 28, despite a clash with the AFL preseason cup.

It is understood the AFL will change the date of the preseason cup fixture between Richmond and Collingwood, which had been scheduled to clash with the A-League's showpiece game.

The AFL match is expected to be played either on the Thursday before or the Monday after the final.

"We have an assurance from Telstra Dome management that the A-League grand final will be held at Telstra Dome on the 28th of February," said Football Federation Australia spokeswoman Bonita Mersiades.

The AFL game will take on added interest if returning recruit Ben Cousins is named to play his first game for the Tigers.

The MCG is unavailable to host either match as the drop-in pitches are still in use until the conclusion of the Sheffield Shield season in mid-March.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said league officials were in discussions with Docklands management on Tuesday.

"Obviously, it's a bit of a conundrum at the moment, we released our fixture in October last year, which listed Telstra Dome as the potential venue, along with Subiaco," said Keane.

The AFL match would have been played at Subiaco Oval had either the Eagles or the Dockers won their opening-round games, but they were knocked out by Collingwood and Richmond respectively.

Melbourne Victory secured the home grand final at Docklands, when it thrashed Adelaide United 6-0 on aggregate last weekend.

Queensland Roar and Adelaide United will meet in the preliminary final at Hindmarsh Stadium this Saturday with the winner to take on the Victory.

- ABC/AAP

So we can all relax.

Ok All soccer (a-league (including finals), ACL involving AUFC, MVFC, Socceroos games from July 1 08(current season))

Average 14,017

So I guess I have to do the same and count Rugby League World CUp games to bring Rugby League up as well (but only Australia). And finals which I didnt do. And state of origin.

Average 18,786

Now to add finals for the AFL. I could do international rules but that is a different sport.

Average 38,287

So there you go, it's in the contract that TD effectively have the final say on which game will go ahead. The AFL has no legal leg to stand on (which any non-biased person would have been able to tell you from the start).

Ok that shuts me up.

BUT any unbiased person would not go looking for this. So they wouldnt know this

Only bias people in favour of Soccer would tell you this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok All soccer (a-league (including finals), ACL involving AUFC, MVFC, Socceroos games from July 1 08(current season))

Average 14,017

So I guess I have to do the same and count Rugby League World CUp games to bring Rugby League up as well (but only Australia). And finals which I didnt do. And state of origin.

Average 18,786

Now to add finals for the AFL. I could do international rules but that is a different sport.

Average 38,287

Give it some time, it's only the A-League's fourth year.

Certainly soccer has a greater spread of crowds across the country than Rugby League which only has teams in 3 states and nz.

Ok that shuts me up.

BUT any unbiased person would not go looking for this. So they wouldnt know this

Only bias people in favour of Soccer would tell you this.
Sportal don't have any bias whatsoever, they are the ones who actually asked the question rather than just assume (like Damian Barrett did).

Sportal is a widely read website, so plenty of people will see it.

Now think for a minute, what business (TD is a business) would sign a contract with a tenant (in this case with the AFL) that allows that tenant to be able to have final say on when something will be held there?

The TD would be mad to sign a contract that would allow TD the final say and legal rights to the ground whenever they want. In the end TD run a business and as such they will have the final say on what events are conducted there, not a tenant.

As I said, any unbiased person with logical thinking could've worked that out.

Well, if that's true, then it is case closed.

From the haggling that is no doubt going on though, I wouldn't be surprised to find that this contract may potentially conflict with another contract the TD may have signed with the AFL.

That may be the root of the problem - the TD signing contracts that actually contradict each other - in that case, FFA is off the hook - it is all Telstra Dome and Ian Collins that have a lot to answer for.

I am interested to know why this contractual fact hasn't been raised earlier though - this potential conflict has been known about for more than a month - why didn't the FFA ever come out during this time and state that their Grand Final contract over-ride s any AFL pre-season games?

All seems a bit strange to be honest.

Well, if that's true, then it is case closed.

From the haggling that is no doubt going on though, I wouldn't be surprised to find that this contract may potentially conflict with another contract the TD may have signed with the AFL.

That may be the root of the problem - the TD signing contracts that actually contradict each other - in that case, FFA is off the hook - it is all Telstra Dome and Ian Collins that have a lot to answer for.

I am interested to know why this contractual fact hasn't been raised earlier though - this potential conflict has been known about for more than a month - why didn't the FFA ever come out during this time and state that their Grand Final contract over-ride s any AFL pre-season games?

All seems a bit strange to be honest.
If 2 contracts contradict each other. Dosnt the first one signed have precidence.

I think this just highlights the fact 9 teams don't go into two grounds.

Waverly still had a roll to play.

If one of the two games has to have a date change it should be the A League. The AFL's tenure at the Dome absolutely dwarfs the A League and must be given preference, NAB cup or not. If I was the AFL I wouldnt be moving over under any circumstances. Play the soccer GF on the Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back