Bumped NAB Cup - Three things you'd like to see (#123 p5)

Remove this Banner Ad

1: See the New Draftees in action, including those who have been on the list before but havent got game time, Especially Big Mason playing up forward

2: A few more transistional players, or players that could play a midfield and a half forward or half back role (ie would like to see Langers more up the ground, elliot and howe with more minutes on the wing potentially Aish, Crisp or even King Pendles pushing behind play)

3: General improvement in the transition of the ball from defence with a greater accuracy when going for goal (come on Cloke, this years the year to kick the yip)

Define 'game plan'.

Not as straightforward as people think.

It really is very straightforward ...

(1) If us spectators can discern some predictable pattern of play then we have a gameplan, otherwise we don't.

(2) If we have a player who gets the ball in space then we have a gameplan, otherwise if the opposition get the ball in space then we don't.

(3) If Cloke gets the ball outside the 50 meter arc then we don't have a gameplan

(4) If Swanny or Pendlebury have the ball in hand, then we have a very good gameplan

(5) If we're winning then we have a gameplan, otherwise we don't.

... Does that clear things up?

Marley in the middle

I thought Marley got a few runs in the middle in 2015, without making much of an impact. I may be wrong. A 'few runs' is also hardly a serious attempt to trial him there.

1. I'd like to see us exploit our new midfield riches.
2. A plan to work around the loss of Schaz for the year. He was marked as the solution to our lack of quality and penetration when disposing from the back. A healthy Reid would help but see point #3.
3. A way to take the pressure of Cloke in the forward line, this should help with his kicking yips too. Is Howe is the answer if Reid plays back?

I thought Marley got a few runs in the middle in 2015, without making much of an impact. I may be wrong. A 'few runs' is also hardly a serious attempt to trial him there.
Marley looking good, sounds even better (toe injury only concern, could be threatening)

image.jpeg

Define 'game plan'.

Not as straightforward as people think.

It's an interesting topic of discussion. Most that know football to even a basic level know our general gameplan, but not the finer details.

The more important questions, IMO, are do we adjust enough for different opposition systems? Is our gameplan going to take us to number 16? And whether we have gone about building the right list to compliment that gameplan?

Post 2012 I think we've done it well from a list build perspective, but the other two are up in the air...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting topic of discussion. Most that know football to even a basic level know our general gameplan, but not the finer details.

The more important questions, IMO, are do we adjust enough for different opposition systems? Is our gameplan going to take us to number 16? And whether we have gone about building the right list to compliment that gameplan?

Post 2012 I think we've done it well from a list build perspective, but the other two are up in the air...
And very importantly, if our game plan DOES take us to number 16, is it number 16 on the ladder, or premiership number 16 :D

I really like Varcoe. I liked him when we recruited him. I like him even better now. He is a heart and soul player for this club, he takes the game on, he's quick and he has a tonne of composure. But he has his limitations. I don't see him averaging more than that 16-19 range of possessions per game for us. And he is defensively flimsy. I think we need someone down back that can add those extra possessions and be tight.

I see Varcoe as a bit of a utility for us, but would like to see his home up forward. We desperately need pace there, tackling nous and composure. I reckon Varcoe gives us that. We can inject him in the back line when we need a spark.

On Maynard, I thought his performances last year were not anything special. That doesn't worry me overly as he is a first year player and he has plenty of attributes which suggest he will be a good player. He is tough, takes the game on and has a raking kick. But he too was defensively fragile, turned the ball over a lot and didn't win a lot of it. I think he needs a good year in the twos before he works his way back into a permanent best 22 position.

I was really hoping that Scharenberg could add that real class off the half back line for us but that isn't to be this year. Hopefully later. I reckon Crisp gives us what we need off the half back flank in a ready made player that has performances on the board, wins the ball, good one on one, has height, he can tag so I hope he can defend. I think between Reid, Williams, Langdon and Crisp we have a great range of attacking options without compromising our defense. Add Brown at full back and one of Ramsay or Toovey in a back pocket and I think that is really strong good mix.

mike123

I see Varcoe as a logical Blair replacement permanently i50. Not a fan of him playing out of defence but loved him on the wing/up forward. He is more damaging and a far scarier prospect to the opposition than Blair whilst also bringing that manic pressure. We'll likely need space in the forward line to add Howe and chopping Blair and moving Varcoe there from half-forward could create that slot.

Quicky Bard

You both raised good points and gave me allot to think about.

I have to agree that Varcoe probably won't be that 20-25ppg player as Crisp could down back. You've more sold me on the idea of Crisp in the backline, but regardles off weather Crisp or not plays down there I still prefer Varcoe down back. Up forward he doesn't use his speed enough to his advantage and handballs it allot more. He's one of few players we have got that has leg speed and can hit up a target by foot san I o I'd prefer him in a position where he uses his speed and kicks more. As for him being defensively flismy, I can't agree fully on, he's not the best defensive player but I think he is capable do remember him giving Hayden Ballantyne a bath. I'd like to see where he is at defensively in the nab cup.

As for the Blair role, I see our three non key forwards as Elliott, Fasolo and Howe so I hope these three together bring forward pressure. Its an area that I thought Fasolo improved on last season and something Elliott shown he can do. Seeing highlights of Howe he's is a capable run down tackler, the question is weather he can provide consistently, but I remember thinking the same thing about Varcoe last year so I'm hoping he can get a turn of aggression.

I don't want to see anything too experimental in this NAB cup. We have recruited 3 players this off season we expect to be best 22 so that is more than enough changes without trying to manufacture more.

That said, I think there were a few areas that we really came short last year from a playing perspective. One area we were not even close to being competitive was at the centre bounce stoppages and clearances from these. I think this is largely due to our rucks not winning clean hitouts. Both Grundy and Witts need plenty of development in this area and it is a real weakness in the side.

Second was we really lack a damaging half back flanker, someone you can rely on to hit up targets and win 20+ possessions for the team. Many are suggesting Varcoe but he is a 15-20 possession player so I think we use him more forward of the ball as a nippy forward.

So with all that in mind I would like to see:

1) Crisp used off half back. He has pace, is a good kick, good one on one and is a proven ball winner. I think he could be really good for us as our sixth defender and generating drive for us. If he can play that role, that is massive for the team.

2) Cox used as the main centre bounce ruckman to see if he is an option in this role. If he can be better than Grundy and Witts at the centre bounces we will be better as a team. I think we need to try it.

3) Treloar, Aish and Howe used in the roles we recruited them for. Treloar in the middle, Aish on the wing, Howe high half forward. No need to experiment with these guys just get them gelling as much as possible with the team before the season starts when we will be relying on them performing.

Bump!

Predictions weren't too bad. I called Crisp and Cox a year early.

But that call on Howe was ill conceived in retrospect. Glad he's in defence. Although I do wonder if we can roll him forward on occasions as a shock tactic.

Bump!

Predictions weren't too bad. I called Crisp and Cox a year early.

But that call on Howe was ill conceived in retrospect. Glad he's in defence. Although I do wonder if we can roll him forward on occasions as a shock tactic.
Would be keen to see Howe go forward at times and have Shaz play Howes role. I like Howe back but it's an option that could change a game.

Call the nab cup the JLT series :D

Just play the kids and newbies.

And ok ..... play Tom Lynch :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped NAB Cup - Three things you'd like to see (#123 p5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back