Game Day NAB Round 2 - Cats v Crows, Symonds Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be surprised if we win comfortably this weekend and the match report speaks how amazing all the players are, top 4 certainties and will give the flag a real shake. Amazing how many can worry about a loss in a pre-season game.

First of all, we never intended on making the final of the NAB cup; that would have left us less than a week to prepare for Essendon and it would not have been an ideal preparation for round 1. I just hope for a lift this week and the lads to play some of the footy that we enjoyed in 2012

Wouldn't be surprised if we win comfortably this weekend and the match report speaks how amazing all the players are, top 4 certainties and will give the flag a real shake. Amazing how many can worry about a loss in a pre-season game.

And if we play as poorly as we did against Geelong?

And if we play as poorly as we did against Geelong?

Who cares because the season hasn't started yet.

The question should be asked, "and if we play against Essendon, as poorly as we did against Geelong". Then we have something to talk about, because only actually proper results matter in the end.

I don't think there is anything wrong with skills or "form", it is entirely an effort issue, and right now effort matters more on the training track preparing for round one than it does in the NAB cup. I am quite happy for the other teams to think the Crows will be easy beats once the season starts, let them think that.

If you'd played games in 35+ degree heat and were being flogged on the track with bouts of gastro about, you'd be playing with no effort too, and it doesn't need to be the whole team, only a handful of players needs to be down to get what happened on the weekend, then it is far to hard for the other players to compensate.

This is the only thing I find truly concerning. The NAB Cup is a huge opportunity for fringe players but we seem to learning more about who is not good enough, rather than those who are.
This is just as important IMO, and it's a lesson we haven't learned in the past.

The problem with the NAB Cup is that fringe players/kids are played out of position. Kerridge, Lyons and Riley will play limited minutes in the midfield when (if?) they get game time this year.

I would like to see how Lewis Johnston goes with our A grade midfield up and firing. Even Tex looks clueless when our midfield consists of kids or out of touch experienced players.

I guess its too early to tell how ruthless Sando is going to be when it comes to list management. I hope he's a little more brutal than Craig was.
To be fair to Craig, the bulk of the departures during his era were the members of Dad's Army. He had very few opportunities to cull those drafted under his reign, who just weren't cutting the mustard - unless the club wanted to go 6 deep in drafts barely 20 players strong.

The problem with the NAB Cup is that fringe players/kids are played out of position. Kerridge, Lyons and Riley will play limited minutes in the midfield when (if?) they get game time this year.

I would like to see how Lewis Johnston goes with our A grade midfield up and firing. Even Tex looks clueless when our midfield consists of kids or out of touch experienced players.
Poor old dougie still struggling with this ;)

Good that we finally got Reilly in his best position....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My feeling on this is that we went hell for leather in the MMC last year and had a stellar start to the year. However, we fell off the pace for quite a while in the 2nd half of the year and it was only our draw that saw us not lose consecutive matches at any stage last year. Players like Sauce, Thommo, Rory, and Danger all showed signs of extreme fatigue in the 2nd half of the season.

I am hoping that this has been the approach taken this year. I'm hoping........

To be fair to Craig, the bulk of the departures during his era were the members of Dad's Army. He had very few opportunities to cull those drafted under his reign, who just weren't cutting the mustard - unless the club wanted to go 6 deep in drafts barely 20 players strong.

He also seemed allergic to trading. I don't really blame him for this though. It's rare for other clubs to offer any real quality players in a trade and we probably didn't have a lot of currency at the time.

Rotations cap aside, I hope we keep targeting footballers over athlete's. I hated the way we drafted during the Craig-era.

He also seemed allergic to trading. I don't really blame him for this though. It's rare for other clubs to offer any real quality players in a trade and we probably didn't have a lot of currency at the time.

Rotations cap aside, I hope we keep targeting footballers over athlete's. I hated the way we drafted during the Craig-era.
I think Craig's lack of willingness to trade is somewhat overstated. Sando has been in charge for two trade periods now and we haven't seen any sign of changes to the club's trading policy. Just as it was before (under Craig), the only players traded out are those who have specifically requested to be traded.

Looking back through history, there don't seem to be many examples of players being traded against their will. Most of the times when it has occurred have been related to high profile trades involving the "steak knives" in trades for champion players (eg Wellman's departure, bringing Jarman back to Adelaide, or Kennedy being traded to WCE for Judd). Adelaide haven't been involved in one of these mega trades for years.

I think Craig's lack of willingness to trade is somewhat overstated.

It wasn't overstated. He was on record many times as stating that he hated trade week and players being used as commodities.

He did soften this stance later in his tenure though. As we were slipping further and further down the ladder - go figure.

It wasn't overstated. He was on record many times as stating that he hated trade week and players being used as commodities.

He did soften this stance later in his tenure though. As we were slipping further and further down the ladder - go figure.
Absolutely he did. I have no problem with that quote. That said, I'm curious to see your justification for the comment about him softening his stance.

While Craig might have been more vocal about his lack of desire for trading, there is/was little evidence that this actually made any difference to Adelaide's trading policy - or that Adelaide's trading policy was any different from any other club's.

While Craig might have been more vocal about his lack of desire for trading, there is/was little evidence that this actually made any difference to Adelaide's trading policy - or that Adelaide's trading policy was any different from any other club's.
Adelaide's trading policy was definitely different to some other clubs. eg. Sydney who have targeted many players.

Adelaide's trading policy was definitely different to some other clubs. eg. Sydney who have targeted many players.
Craig's objections to trading had nothing to do with trading for players, it was all about trading players out. Which Sydney players have been traded against their wishes? Which Adelaide players have been traded against their wishes?

Craig's objections to trading had nothing to do with trading for players, it was all about trading players out. Which Sydney players have been traded against their wishes? Which Adelaide players have been traded against their wishes?
Sure, butCraig's philosophy limited our currency to trade players in. The likes of Sydney were far more active trading in & out.

That said, I'm curious to see your justification for the comment about him softening his stance.

I'm pretty sure he said it, in the second half of his tenure. That although he didn't like trade week, he had started to accept the reality that it was an opportunity to improve the list.

I don't have the direct quote though, so this post is pretty much a waste of bandwith. Unless you trust me..........

I'm pretty sure he said it, in the second half of his tenure. That although he didn't like trade week, he had started to accept the reality that it was an opportunity to improve the list.

I don't have the direct quote though, so this post is pretty much a waste of bandwith. Unless you trust me..........
Craig did say something along those lines, but his actions didn't really match his words...

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day NAB Round 2 - Cats v Crows, Symonds Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back