Review NAB1: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if Damon White ever reads the Big Footy Port Board. If he does he must scratch his head at the number of excuses and apologies made for Butcher's ongoing poor form given how ruthlessly he was written off. And written off with some justification I might add.

Ahh, Damon White.

His delisting would have made a stack more sense if Tredrea's body wasn't one more semi-serious injury away from retirement and we weren't about to insist on converting Nick Salter into a back pocket.

Say what you like about Butcher, at least his presence in 2016 is entirely justified from a list management POV.

Ahh, Damon White.

His delisting would have made a stack more sense if Tredrea's body wasn't one more semi-serious injury away from retirement and we weren't about to insist on converting Nick Salter into a back pocket.

Say what you like about Butcher, at least his presence in 2016 is entirely justified from a list management POV.

I agree, especially when you consider, at the time of his one-year extension, Ryder's 2016 status was up in the air, Howard was still a very green first year player who'd hardly shown a thing in the SANFL, and Dixon wasn't even on the list yet.

Am I the only one that thought the Teal with black shorts looked great....... BUT the white V on top of the black V just looked wrong. Rearrange that and we've got a solid preseason get up.
Yeah I thought the outfit looked pretty sharp. And I do tend to agree about rearranging the white and black V's. Overall, with the ISC teal being much easier on the eye than the Reebok teal and the black trimming and strip down the side we've finally got ourselves a pretty good looking teal Guernsey. And maybe it is now a clash Guernsey possibility?

This game is all about taking your chances and making the most of them. Butcher has largely squandered his while Howard continues to make the most of his. I think his efforts should be rewarded.
Oh c'mon! They played in entirely different roles, and you are taking a 1 second screen grab of Howard's AFL life, and comparing it to 6 years of Butcher's. Also how can we honestly rate Butcher's performance yesterday? As the only big forward, he had their best premiership defenders pummel him and double team him. Go back and look at the entries into him .... most were woeful bombs that gave him little chance. The opportunities he had to lead, he did so well. Throw Boak, Wines, Ebert, Gray, along with Polec, White, et-al, and the quality of supply increases a 1000-fold. Then throw in another forward like Charlie Dixon or Schulz as a focal point, and you have a totally different scenario for Butch.

Please quit with the premature ejection of Butcher at this stage people! You all might end up being right, but let's show some loyalty as Port Adelaide people and back him in for the other NAB games, and some early SANFL games.

Last edited:
Oh c'mon! They played in entirely different roles, and you are taking a 1 second screen grab of Howard's AFL life, and comparing it to 6 years of Butcher's. Also how can we honestly rate Butcher's performance yesterday? As the only big forward, he had their best premiership defenders pummel him and double team him. Go back and look at the entries into him .... most were woeful bombs that gave him little chance. The opportunities he had to lead, he did so well. Throw Boak, Wines, Ebert, Gray, along with Polec, White, et-al, and the quality of supply increases a 1000-fold. Then throw in another forward like Charlie Dixon or Schulz as a focal point, and you have a totally different scenario for Butch.

Please quit with the premature ejection of Butcher at this stage! You might end up being right, but let's show some loyalty as Port Adelaide people and back him in for the other NAB games, and some early SANFL games.

Yeah, because in 6 years John Butcher has never played as second or third banana while being spoon fed by our A-Grade midfield, right?
"Premature ejection"? Really? He's 25 in July.

You know what I mean ...
Or maybe you are serious, and dont! .... I am talking about Port re-signing him for 1 year, him having a great pre-season, him adding 6-8 kgs to his frame and looking much stronger, I am talking about him playing as a sidekick of a big Charlie - something he hasnt experienced. And its only NAB game 1 .... So yeah, just let's give him a go!

Nah I generally like what you write....more looking at the real haters!
I don't think anyone really hates Butcher. He's a very likeable character but also ATM a very average player who has been in our system for 6 years now with very little to show for it. As said by others, if it wasn't for his cult hero status amongst some PAFC supporters his performances would be assessed a lot more harshly.

As long as he plays for us we'll wish he finally gets his act together. It's just that some of us are a bit more skeptical of his capabilities. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see butch as a third tall option...

Charlie at chf
Sarge at ff
Butch in a pocket...

If he fails at this...i just don't know what else there is for him either than break glass in case..

Tough gig for him on the weekend but excuses are growing thin ..dougie is on his tail
See your idea and reckon it has merit but under that umbrella where does Westhoff fit?

I think Butcher's flashes of good form has led to some biased views.

I wasn't expecting Butch to dominate against the Swans. Up against the best tall defenders combined with less than ideal movement into the forward line.

But I think his survival at the club will come down to his kicking for goal. If that hasn't improved he's really going to struggle.

i remember that one day at Footy Park when we were getting slaughtered by the Bulldogs and this young bloke burst onto the scene and kicked 6 goals

I left that day somewhat optimistic that we had unearthed a superstar

and well.. here we are...
6 goals from 6 disposals. :eek:

I loved Dougal's first half in the ruck but he offered little as a forward, which coincidentally was about the same as Butch.

This. Evidence so far from last year and this one suggests that Dougal is far more effective as a follower or sitting behind the ball than he is as a forward.

If Lobbe went down, I'd definitely play Howard over Butch. If a key forward went down, I'd still be picking Butch at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review NAB1: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back