Review NAB1: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the wind may have had something to do with it. It wasn't a day for big men- Buddy Franklin didn't do much either and Kurt Tippet was more influential as a ruckman then a forward.

Agreed, difficult day to work out where to present when you combine it with delivery from an understrength midfield. There wasn't a lot of clean entry, but equally I was a little disappointed with some of the lack of contest in the air from Butcher and Howard. Not sure how much forward time Dougal had. The pressure coming out was top notch from all though.

Howard's sample size is pretty small at the moment and we haven't seen how he would work in a team with Lobbe, so I think it's hard to judge him. I'm really keen to see how he goes over the next two games.

He's showing some promising signs but he's not playing Round 1 yet.

I love butch but aren't we all working with a pretty small sample size in reference to his ability:potential?

I'm still not entirely sure if he can't get near it or simply doesn't want to get near it.
In either case, it's not a good thing, especially when you are (sadly) on your last legs.

I really really hope he can get his shit together, but you would think if he can't do it this year, there won't be a next.

Kane Mitchell shouldn't play another game for the club. Could not win the ball/stick a tackle to save his life

Is this a quote from last year or a fresh post?

Butch needs to play next week. Mitchell and Stewart no. We played competitive football against a near full strength swans for 3 qtrs. I'm excited by our depth. Bring on the next match.

Spot On. Give all the blokes competing for Rd 1 spots another run, but players like Mitchell & Stewart shouldn't be playing.

Bit of a weird game in that we battled quite manfully with a really young line up and most bobbed up here and there and did some nice things but apart from Sam Gray no one really got plenty of it and stood out. But of the fresher faces I liked what I saw of Dougal, DBJ, Snells attack on the footy was pretty good, and the whole back 6 were fairly solid. The first gamers in general did nothing to disgrace themselves.

On the flip side, a really disappointing game from both Stewart and Mitchell. Neither did anything to suggest they want to add to there current games tally. And to be honest, I can't see either of them playing too many more. Snell showed Mitchell how a little guy can still attack the footy hard. Being 2 of the more senior guys out there Mitchell and Stewart, I expected them to stand up and provide a bit of leadership and set an example but I barely noticed either of them. I at least noticed Butcher out there quite a bit and was involved in a few of our scoring efforts even though he didn't have a great game, but he at least had a crack.

One internal trial and one preseason game where Butch was the only key forward for much of it and we are back to regular Big Footy operation.

Just like Shaw had gone past Butcher.

Just like Harvey had gone past Butcher.

Now it's Dougal's turn.

Yes, we haven't had footy for a long time, and we have hopes and dreams for this year so it's hard not to make calls based off of what little we've been able to see so far.

But we aren't even going to remember this game in a couple of months' time. Except maybe as "remember that crazy storm in that preseason game that one time?"

#leavebutchalone

I wonder if Damon White ever reads the Big Footy Port Board. If he does he must scratch his head at the number of excuses and apologies made for Butcher's ongoing poor form given how ruthlessly he was written off. And written off with some justification I might add.

FFS he is OUR player for 2016 so lets back him the F**K IN! #backthebutch

Yeah, you're right. And I'm normally loathe to bag our players. But the Butcher debate is one that just never goes away and perhaps I react a little bit to the Butcher-Boosters. I've just never known a player to be given so much leeway where others are not.

Yeah, you're right. And I'm normally loathe to bag our players. But the Butcher debate is one that just never goes away and perhaps I react a little bit to the Butcher-Boosters. I've just never known a player to be given so much leeway where others are not.

Nah I generally like what you write....more looking at the real haters!

FFS he is OUR player for 2016 so lets back him the F**K IN! #backthebutch
There is a difference between saying a player looks as if he is not going to make it and calling a player a spud.

I would love to see Butch make it but as finbarr posted above, how long do we persist with him?

No player is free from criticism. We pay them to play football to a professional standard, when they don't deliver on that standard we have a right to discuss that. What makes Butcher a protected species? He's not a child. If he decides to play derp free football to a professional standard then he'll be free from criticism. It's pretty simple.

It's great that people back in our players to the hilt, I love that, but for people to stifle discussion surrounding a player that's justified is quite frankly rubbish in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a difference between saying a player looks as if he is not going to make it and calling a player a spud.

I would love to see Butch make it but as finbarr posted above, how long do we persist with him?

We certainly persist with him this year as hes listed in our squad. Whether that be in the sanfl or afl lets just back him in.

That was incredible. When he called it i just shook my head in disbelief, as did the commentators. Then when another ump came and overruled him it was probably the best moment of the game. Honestly, they should just get whoever is the nearest officiating umpire to Nicholls to make all his decisions for him.
Loved the way Wayne Campbell stated in the Hawks v Carl game that if half or three quarters of the crowd think it is deliberate, then it should be paid......

I'm gonna back in the Butch but I think its clear what his level is and where he sits in our squad structure

Just put a buzzer at each seat at AO and let the crowd majority decide.

Should be fun :)
Please buzz when Nicholls makes in an incorrect decision. Cue electrical overload as all buzzers PUNCHED the first time he blows his whistle.

Agreed, the opposition would never get a free kick in a fruit tingles, or wet toast home game, if the umps made their decisions going on the reactions of the crowd. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying that some umpires are not swayed by crowd noise but that is altogether different from the AFL Umpiring Director indicating that the umpires are actually instructed to make decisions based on crowd reaction.

I wonder how Wayne instructs the umpires on measuring the percentage of the crowd that believe a free should be paid. :confused:

Nah I generally like what you write....more looking at the real haters!

i dont think there would be any real haters here. he is a port player after all. people are just debating his worth to the team, some hang on and say maybe..others say he has had plenty of tie and its time to move on.....that a forum for ya

I would like to see butch as a third tall option...

Charlie at chf
Sarge at ff
Butch in a pocket...

If he fails at this...i just don't know what else there is for him either than break glass in case..

Tough gig for him on the weekend but excuses are growing thin ..dougie is on his tail

Remove this Banner Ad

Review NAB1: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back