Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Names on jumpers?

• Good

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 136 44.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but watching the Swans game on the television I didn't know half the players and even when the players back were facing the screen, I couldn't read the names.

The smfc probably makes it harder as well

You need an optometrist and/or large screen tv.
I'm actually baffled how many people can, supposedly, see the names.

I'm young and have never had any eye problems but still can't see the names.

Anyway, even if you can see the names, it is only when the player is standing still in an extreme close up shot. Seems pointless.

Anyway, even if you can see the names, it is only when the player is standing still in an extreme close up shot. Seems pointless.
Who ****ing gives a shit, can you see the name of a cricket player when someone is bowling the ball to the batsman? no

Can you see the name of a soccer player in a game? No!

You can only see them when zoomed in, just like in AFL, so if it works on those sports, it can work here.

Just like any other sports around the globe with names on the back lol

We've been through this, it's mostly to selling more merch!

Kids will be wanting what their favourite player is wearing on match day.

Some screenshots of WCE v Port:

ssjkSJi.png

(Side note: at no point in that break of play did the commentators mention Ollie Wines, so that argument is bust)

Here's West Coast's:

Gcoi1L7.png

Will get more screenshots of games as I get around to it, still rather busy. Will hopefully get all of Saturday's done tonight.

As far as the merchandise argument goes, I'll be pretty interested to see how the auctioned guernseys go. Of course the usual superstars will go for big bucks (like they would anyway), but what about the many scrubs on each list? I'd suggest that like having some rubbish player's autograph on a guernsey, having the name on the back, rather than just the standard number would actually devalue the guernsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as the merchandise argument goes, I'll be pretty interested to see how the auctioned guernseys go. Of course the usual superstars will go for big bucks (like they would anyway), but what about the many scrubs on each list? I'd suggest that like having some rubbish player's autograph on a guernsey, having the name on the back, rather than just the standard number would actually devalue the guernsey.
That is true. Happens in all the other sports leagues who use names and numbers. The stars and rarities sell hundreds of times more than the scrubs. By the way, in the NFL, the players have a vested share in merchandise that sells with their names on them. So it's good for them too.

That is true. Happens in all the other sports leagues who use names and numbers. The stars and rarities sell hundreds of times more than the scrubs. By the way, in the NFL, the players have a vested share in merchandise that sells with their names on them. So it's good for them too.

It's different here though.

In the US, the equivalent past players get their number retired. The clubs have been around here for long enough that nearly every number at the traditional clubs can be associated with a past hero, even if the current player that wears it is a nobody and in all but a couple of instances, league-wide, those same legends' numbers are still in circulation.

I wouldn't exactly call the current owners of the Geelong #5, North Melbourne #18 or Brisbane's #3 'nobodies', but if you buy one of the current players' guernseys, you're not necessarily buying it for them, but for every player that's worn that number in the past. And if the guernsey that you buy has a big 'VARCOE', 'ATLEY', or 'MOLONEY' on it, it makes it a bit harder to do.

Concrete proof that this is all simply a marketing exercise? Today, Jay Kennedy-Harris had "K-HARRIS" above his number as the full name wouldn't have fit. That's fine. But the same principle should have been applied to Lewis Roberts-Thomson on Saturday.

Instead, because the media love calling him LRT, and he loves getting called LRT, the AFL decide to put the grammatically incorrect and quite frankly stupid abbreviation of "L.R.T" on his jumper instead of "R-THOMSON" as it should have been.

This isn't about identifying players at all – it's about making a quick buck.

Well I've now watched a few games on telly over the weekend, and went to the SCG for Swans/Freo.

On telly, I think it's been excellent. Can't believe there are people on here saying they can't read the names on TV.

Of course you can't read all the names. Of course, in a long shot, you can't read any names.

But there have been literally dozens of times where I've been able to now put an opposition player's name to a face because they walked into view in a close shot.

I have slightly increased my footy literacy in an effortless fashion.

As to the being at the game itself, no, couldn't make out a single name on the field itself with the naked eye. But there were still several times I could, when I looked up at the big screen. So I learned a couple more Freo players' names that way.

Totally good initiative and I'm all for it. We lose nothing.

I have no opinion on the merch side of it whatsoever. They can do what they want.

Concrete proof that this is all simply a marketing exercise? Today, Jay Kennedy-Harris had "K-HARRIS" above his number as the full name wouldn't have fit. That's fine. But the same principle should have been applied to Lewis Roberts-Thomson on Saturday.

Instead, because the media love calling him LRT, and he loves getting called LRT, the AFL decide to put the grammatically incorrect and quite frankly stupid abbreviation of "L.R.T" on his jumper instead of "R-THOMSON" as it should have been.

This isn't about identifying players at all – it's about making a quick buck.
If "L.R.T" so irritates you, would you be placated by "L.R-T"?

Who ******* gives a shit, can you see the name of a cricket player when someone is bowling the ball to the batsman? no

Can you see the name of a soccer player in a game? No!

You can only see them when zoomed in, just like in AFL, so if it works on those sports, it can work here.

You seem angry

Remove this Banner Ad

Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Back