the_champ_2004

All Australian
Oct 11, 2004
Here ther and Everywhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Have a friend who knows the coaching staff at collingwood pretty well and was talking to chris scott the other day. He asked him about Nathan Brown and how he was developing. Scott said that at the moment they are just developing his skills in the part of the ground where correct disposal is not the be all and end all as it is in the forward line. Mick has the long term goal of moving him to the forward line and will follow a similar path as neitz and gerig. Lets remember that carey said neitz was his toughest opponant. So although he is great value in the backline he may not be there for to long. Also explains why he started up forward in the carlton game.

Not sure why they would do that. Seems to me that where we need him most is down back, sure he may be able to pinch hit at times up forward. Unless Dawes becomes a permanent backmen and then Brown could take his place up forward, but he is playing as a forward in the VFL.

Have a friend who knows the coaching staff at collingwood pretty well and was talking to chris scott the other day. He asked him about Nathan Brown and how he was developing. Scott said that at the moment they are just developing his skills in the part of the ground where correct disposal is not the be all and end all as it is in the forward line. Mick has the long term goal of moving him to the forward line and will follow a similar path as neitz and gerig. Lets remember that carey said neitz was his toughest opponant. So although he is great value in the backline he may not be there for to long. Also explains why he started up forward in the carlton game.

His hands where pretty poor on the lead in the foward line and he just did not look the natural foward. Even if he was moved foward I couldn't see it being too successful hence he would be moved back. On top of that with Rusling Reid Dawes Cloke our potential fowards outweigh our potential backs hence Brown is more important to us there.

Also if they wanted him to learn how to be a foward i dare say he would have played there more in the vfl last year too

Not saying your lying or your friend is lying just saying the chance of Brown being a career foward are very slim

yeah but even pavlich started as a defender. Mick brings a lot of youngsters into the team by starting them in defence. am i wrong? he does this to develop their attacking side which he sees as the main skill in going forward and playing one on one accountable football which is micks philosophy on finals football. Thats what the season comes down to

yeah but even pavlich started as a defender. Mick brings a lot of youngsters into the team by starting them in defence. am i wrong? he does this to develop their attacking side which he sees as the main skill in going forward and playing one on one accountable football which is micks philosophy on finals football. Thats what the season comes down to

Pavlich has never had a settled spot in the Freo team as displayed by the fact that each of his AA selections have been in a different possie. Pav is the best mid, Foward and Back on thier list and as such fills in where he is needed most. Brown for us seems to be needed most as a back.

He brings most mids into the team of the flanks to allow them to work on A) their accountability and B) let them get some easy touches running of the HBF. That said backmen are usually made from failed fowards not fowards made out of successful backmen

We have a greater need for a CHB right now, but versatility is always a good thing if it can be fostered without being to the detriment of the side. There's no point throwing him around if it stuffs up our balance or deprives Brown of stability while learning his trade.

jason cloke board

His brother Mitch is probably in the same boat. He started as a forward but is being developed as a CHB -to get him more into the game- who could possibly move back to the forward line. I always see Mitch as a better forward than backman the same could possibly be said of Nathan.

Don't like the idea of moving Brown forward, he is showing too much as a backmen to warrant moving forward. We have Dawes, Reid, Rusling, Cloke, and i probably missed someone as possible KPF (possibly Anthony as well??).
And everyone remembers the Jason Cloke experiment.

I feel he would give more value as a backman. The way he play suits it more. He can go with the big forwards because of his speed. Where i think Dawes as a backman wouldn't suit the way he plays. Massive body, good grab on the lead and can take a contested mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His brother Mitch is probably in the same boat. He started as a forward but is being developed as a CHB -to get him more into the game- who could possibly move back to the forward line. I always see Mitch as a better forward than backman the same could possibly be said of Nathan.

His brother Mitch plays for who?...sorry I forgot.

Brown will be able to swing to both ends throughout his career, Ive said this since Day 1, its just a matter of finding out which end he is best at. At the moment defense is our biggest need and its a credit to him he has stood up.

Personally, I think Ben Reid will end up playing CHB for us. And if this thread is true, then Harry could play full back, and goldsack takes the 3rd tall forward(if need be). Cloke will be CHF, with then either brown (if thread is true), dawes or rusling playing deeper. Also, out of dawes and rusling, as percentages go, one, if not both, will fall by the wayside and be a failure.

Bradshaw was drafted as a forward and spent most of his early career as a forward, he played in the backline for 2 seasons and not permanently and people seem to think he is a backman converted to the forward line all of a sudden!

I wasnt saying anything about players being converted from one thing to another. I named two players that are/were more then serviceable as both a KP backman and KP forward.

Gehig was the same thing in the early days too.

I dont think it is a bad thing being trained to play at either end of the ground. It will give Collingwood more flexibility for the future.

When Brown has moved forward (in the carlton game for most of the time and when he followed Fletcher forward) he has looked ok. He needs work in terms of leads but he showed some pieces of play where he would grab the ball off the deck and dish off to a running player (which by the way im describing it may not seem that impressive) like J.Brown and Hall do.

Herewith the latest HotRod's Hot Potato, from the C'wood website.

FORGET BRAD HADDIN, WELLIES IS THE REAL KEEPER

Or to put it another way...

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

Before we go any further dearest Spudsters let me say this:

They don’t give trophies for round nine home and away victories.

But, let’s be honest, after Fridee night the AFL should seriously think about it!

The Pies were simply magnificent.
Watching them was more enjoyable than those unnecessary extra couple of minutes we all take after completing a business transaction on the Brasco.
Even though the job was done everybody stuck around.

Mind you those three second half Cat goals had everybody’s heart missing a beat faster than you can say Ringo Starr.

Of course basking in the afterglow of such a monumental victory we all hope will be a watershed (think Kangas and Berty McAdam giving us a touch up at Vicky Park) it would be easy to pump up the tyres of flavour of the month, Shazza Wellingham.

But that’s the sort of lazy journalism you’d expect from the daily newspapers.
At Spud Central we like to dig a little deeper than your average archaeologist.

What I’d like to talk about this week is my unbridled love of our SOGS.
That’s right!
Our very own Special Operations Group – Browny, Harry O, Tarks and Heater.

Unfortunately, since these guys care little for their environment when there is footy to be won it kinda precludes Wakes from being part of it.

I love Heater pushing forward like a cross your heart bra.
I love Harry O and his barn dance baulking.
And Tarks is so gosh darned sensible you just know he’d never leave the house without an umbrella.

But the bloke who really does impress and gives every indication that he will be THAT rock that you can build a premiership defence around is Browny.

It was roughly halfway through the second term when it dawned on me.
Whenever Browny got the Tommy I wasn’t watching footy I was watching Rambo!
‘Names’ mean nothing to him.
He has no fear.
He has no compassion.
He shows no emotion.
And only Colonel Malthouse can control him.

Quite honestly, I don’t think there is an army anywhere capable of stopping the big unit. Normally white goods come with a five year guarantee but if we get ten out of him you can pencil in a bit of silverware along the way.

And if you think he’s good now, don’t forget he’s just a pup.
Wait two more seasons!!

...or watch Rambo III if you can’t wait!

The lines in bold above sum the minotaur up perfectly.

Have a friend who knows the coaching staff at collingwood pretty well and was talking to chris scott the other day. He asked him about Nathan Brown and how he was developing...

Shouldn't the Freo staff worry about their own team falling over in each game at the moment, rather than the future of one of our brightest youngsters???

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Brown in the Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back