Nathan Djerrkura to leave cats

Remove this Banner Ad

A fringe player at the strongest club ATM.

If you look at fringe players they are the ones at the clubs with the strongest list at that time.
I was wrong he aint even on the fringe.
Hey i hope we get something for him but i have not seen 1 thing apart from that he is a solid tackler to make me think he has what it takes to be anything more than a list clogger.

Going on the interest of opposition supporters, I think draft hype is still strong for Djerrkura.

VFL wise he is an undersized inside midfielder with suspect skills. The knock that Wiseby used in his draft profile re free kicks against is still in his game. He will often get caught HTB and can be clumsy in tackles.

He is nothing like Varcoe. Djerrkura is quick on the track, I think he ran 3rd or 4th in a grand final sprint, but I don't think it really translates to the footy field. He certainly doesn't have the acceleration, evasiveness, vision or skills of a Varcoe.

Djerrkura could be used as a one dimensional, tackling, defensive pressure forward but if you are going to play one of these guys they still need to be able to contribute on the scoreboard from minimum possessions. Djerrkura is not a marking small guy like a Stokes nor does he have the finishing ability of a player like that.

I would bite the hand off if Schofield was offered up. The defensive options we have in the VFL are all a little on the small side with Gillies, Drum and Laidler.

I would mostly disagree with you. DJ did used to give away a lot of free kicks but from what I have seen this year he's gotten better at that. Used to just want to wrap people up so much he was way too overzealous but now the technique is better. Certainly when you look at some of the other kids in our VFL team who have a lot to learn about defensive mindset, it's one of his better qualities.

I would agree that while he has really good straight line speed, but he doesn't have what Varcoe has, which is this poise to shimmy or flick one way or the other at speed without losing any balance, Varcoe's just special in that respect, it's really unfair to compare people to him. As for the forward aspect, the reality is no one knows whether DJ could play as a small forward because he's always played as a midfielder with us...it's an unknown. When you look at his ability to win contested ball, speed to get away, and defensive ability, and the fact that he has a massive tank (which is about to become a more useful commodity with the interchange cap coming in) I reckon there's a role for him somewhere at an AFL club and I hope he finds one.

Gawd.
Schofield is a spud

Agree, cant see how anyone could rate him. FFS i rate Spangher higher! :eek:

Anyone who watched Schofield kick in against Freo in the deeeeerrrbeeeee wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole, serious clanger merchant.

I'd think most clubs would appreciate how difficult its has been to get games in the Geelong midfield. Prismall & Davenport have been serviceable elsewhere and think ND has the potential to be the same at another club , given the chance.

Who gives him a go and who his preference is may depend the immediate movement post season. The way things are going for Brisbane they may be looking for some guys to play games on not much money , could be a good match.

Agree turbo. You would think Hawthorn may have an interest given the Cyril connection, but I'm sure there'll be other clubs as well. It'll be interesting to see whether he ends up staying in melb or going interstate.

My 2c:

Early in his career he had a lot of injury troubles which held him back (quad strains mainly).

He debuted and looked OK but quickly went back to the VFL when senior players returned.

In 2009-10 he has been passed by these players (not in my view, but according to the club given their selection decisions):

- Simon Hogan
- Taylor Hunt
- Dan Menzel
- Mitch Duncan

They even played Gamble ahead of him and Tenace last year when there were opportunities to pick Djerrkura instead.

Now my thoughts on his game (having observed his AFL games and a dozen or more VFL games):

He is obviously rated very highly in terms of his attitude and his maturity because is this is often the first complement paid to him. To be honest though, I just don't think he's good enough at any one thing to make him an AFL standard player. People in this thread have commented on his pace but it's not blistering. They've commented on his tackling which is probably his strong suit but not enough, of itself, for an AFL player these days. His disposal is average, bordering on sub-par. He plays midfield in the VFL, but at AFL level it's hard to see with his skill set that he would be able to make the grade there. He's too short to defend and isn't a crumbing forward.

Having said all that, other Geelong fans rate him higher than I do so mine is just one opinion.

I wish him all the best and I hope he gets another opportunity at AFL level. Unfortunately though, I think he's more a quality state league player than an AFL one.

Sounds like when Brisbane were losing players during their peak. Some went on to be guns or very solid players (Bolton, Gram, O'Bree). Some became average journeymen (Headland, Knobel). Some sank without a trace (Shattock, Weller, Morrison, Picken, Rusca, McLaren). It's a matter of figuring out which fall into which category, but more often than not it tends to be the last.

Don't be a douchebag Lach.

He has been good this year, it was a case of terrible coaching.

Why they tried to match a tall defender up against Ablett, then not rotate a different player on to him when it was obvious he didn't have the agility to match I will never know.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

If he's been good that would suggest that the rest of your squad have been brilliant!

Are you even serious? Schofield a few times just waltzes the ball to the boundary line only to see that it doesnt cross the line and opposition pounce. For me close to the worst defender in recent times.

His only chance is to hold his opponents and hope umpire doesnt pay free kicks.

Terrible player, no poise and no intensity.

If Eagles offered him up id be surprised that he would get picked up by anyone... not even just to get rid of him as it means 1 less player on clubs lists.

Eagles have many promising youngsters but not this bloke.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

If he's been good that would suggest that the rest of your squad have been brilliant!

Are you even serious? Schofield a few times just waltzes the ball to the boundary line only to see that it doesnt cross the line and opposition pounce. For me close to the worst defender in recent times.

His only chance is to hold his opponents and hope umpire doesnt pay free kicks.

Terrible player, no poise and no intensity.

If Eagles offered him up id be surprised that he would get picked up by anyone... not even just to get rid of him as it means 1 less player on clubs lists.

Eagles have many promising youngsters but not this bloke.
Nice rant.

Schofield for the most part has been a very effective one on one shut down defender.

Generally very quick and a quality spoiler.

Heaps of room for improvement/development still left.

He is only 21 and played 20 games this year yet leads the competition for 1%rs. Not bad considering his age and the fact it is his first proper year as a KPD.

For your sake I hope you are a troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think quite a few clubs would be interested.

From the Bottom 4 giving up their 2nd rounder is about the same as St. Kilda and Collingwood's 1st rounder, so that puts them in good stead (they'ld probably want him). All 4 would attract reasonable interest, Brisbane's salary cap and out of Vic would probably deter him, while the only thing detterring him from WC is moving out of VIC.

Of the next 4, Melbourne and North have a surplus of mids/small forwards. Adelaide may pursue him, with their 6 losses, while Port may or may not. Playing in NT may be attractive with Power, while Adelaide could provide interesting potential, but is not quite guarenteed his game time.

Freo and Hawthorn are possible from the 5-8 categorie, and in a similar pickle with WC for Freo, except with a later 2nd round pick, thats the danger zone. Doubt cats woould want to hawthorn, but he might, and thats gold. Carlton have too many smalls, and I don't think Longmire will go on a spending spree.

Saints and Doggies from the top 4. doggies are a real possibilty, their F/S picks means they can be willy nilly with their picks and would like some grunt, while the saints have the Andrew Lovett/Luke Ball hole burning in their pocket, as well as an aging Stephen Milne, and Unimproved defensive forwards. Collingwood once again have too many smalls.

If gary abblett signs with Geelong he''l go to the GC. otherwise, the first picjk of round 2 should see him head there, if he wants to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Djerrkura to leave cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back