Review National Draft 2010 and look ahead to Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as bullish on the rookies as I was with the ND. I know a lot of people here are massive on Walker but he sounds suspiciously like Scott Simpson Mk 2 - and while I was a big Scotty fan for every strength in his game there was a big hole. I hope Walker's not the same. I also wonder how much they'll try and mould him given we (IMO) have a relative glut of young forwards and only one real KPD prospect. This Tasmanian kid is a total mystery and I'm happy for Simpkin, think we don't actually have a huge number of players like him on the list. At the third round in the rookie draft it's really about best available and glad we're continuing the tradition of rewarding solid performers in the VFL.

Overall though a really strong recruitment period for us, I know there was a lot of wailing about everything from the 'ambush' on Laidler to the lack of KPP in the main draft but I reckon the list is stronger and more balanced than it was. Look forward to next year immensely.

I quite rate Walker...he's got a fair bit to work on but he's actually a very capable player, and he's actually athletic, it's just not the standout athleticism that you notice and drool over. The way he covers the ground, gets up to mark, reads the play etc, there's a lot to like, so I hope for him.

I don't actually think we have a glut of young talls, when you project 3 years out that Mooney and Pods will be retired probably, but there will probably need to be some moulding of someone as a tall defender, I agree with you there.

Burbury was a real smokey for me and I still would have preferred a Chalwell, but we shall trust Wells, the smokey may well be good.

I particularly agree with the bolded. Like that Simpkin gives us run and carry that we need, and I think it's important vis a vis continuing to attract quality players to the vfl list that they know if they perform there's a good chance we'll draft them. Given how compromised the draft will be again next year, I'm hoping this will assist us to get some more good ones on the VFL list for 2011 (whether they are more mature VFL players, or local boys overlooked in the draft) with the potential to rookie list in 12 months time.

Friends, if we could please keep this thread on topic that would be greatly appreciated.

However I encourage you to start a 'Cricket 2010/2011' thread on The Scratching Post so you can talk cricket all summer long.

Sorry for starting the sidetrack of the thread, my apologies.

Btw, how do I get access to the Scratching Post? Do I have to be really nice to a mod or something? ;)

What's happened to Varcoe, the younger?

Not re drafted obviously. CatsInsider flagged that he would play with us as a VFL player once he's ready after his knee rehab (probably July ish I think).

Follow the steps outlined in multiple threads (including the sticky) on this board.

Thanks, just found the sticky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review National Draft 2010 and look ahead to Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back