List Mgmt. Neal-Bullen nominates Crows

Will ANB replace Murphy?

• Yes, Neal-Bullen will push Murphy out of the side

• No, Nicks will pick both Neal-Bullen and Murphy

• No, Murphy will play with Neal-Bullen playing SANFL as depth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspect that with the recent excitement surrounding the GWS acquisitions, this one's gone under the radar a bit. I reckon ANB will probably have the biggest impact next season, partly because he should replace the lowest-value member of our 22. But beyond that, his attributes are perfectly suited to our current style. With the dilution of pick 25, I can even probably live with handing that over to get the deal done.

People on here put way to much certainty on pick 25

In the history of drafting a pick between 21-30 plays and average of 67 games for their first club, and 90 career clubs.

Once that pick gets to 31-40, those averages drop again.

ANB comes in as a ready made consist footballer that we need now and for the next four years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we even have a list spot available for a pick at 25 or later?
If not that’s bad management given some of the remaining dead wood in the squad, but we may as well then give it to Melbourne for ANB plus a later pick to get Welsh, or a future pick.

ANB four too 10 BnF finishes in a row, two have been top 5 and last night finished 3rd.

He brings leadership, consistency and hardness at the footy - can spend time on ball

Seriously under rated by many on this forum - he will significantly help us become a more consistent team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In a team that is top 3 for games won over the last 5 years and has a premiership, these type of quality players do not become available very often. Given his durability, he's still closer to someone in their mid 20s than he is to someone near the end. Could very easily be playing high quality footy in his mid 30s like a Zorko.

Turning 29 next near is not old! People make it sound like he's nearing 40 in footy terms. Given the issues Cumming has had, I would put money on ANB still playing good footy in 6 years over Cumming.

If not that’s bad management given some of the remaining dead wood in the squad, but we may as well then give it to Melbourne for ANB plus a later pick to get Welsh, or a future pick.
It'd take some shuffling (the mechanics have been described here and in other places, I'm too impatient to do it) but it'd be possible to free up space for a third pick, yes.

Suspect that with the recent excitement surrounding the GWS acquisitions, this one's gone under the radar a bit. I reckon ANB will probably have the biggest impact next season, partly because he should replace the lowest-value member of our 22. But beyond that, his attributes are perfectly suited to our current style. With the dilution of pick 25, I can even probably live with handing that over to get the deal done.

I think the lack of excitement is that most people have given up on the idea we'll be good again within his career.

Look I have very little confidence in our admin and coaching, however the list is actually in a pretty good spot to contend from 2026 onwards.

Only if all of our players pan out exactly as we currently desire, and every other team stands absolutely still. Which is never what happens.

Only if all of our players pan out exactly as we currently desire, and every other team stands absolutely still. Which is never what happens.
Thats the thing which is often missed, what the other clubs are doing. No one expected the Hawks to rise like they did. But they brought players in last year and have again.

We’ve done well bringing in 3 players and the clubs getting kudos but other clubs bring in players every year, last year we brought in Burgess and we wonder why we went backwards.

Petracca on the Howie Games (with Weightman and Rankine) not a bad listen if you’re looking for something to kill time.

But the question was asked what attribute would you take from a teammate if you could. Petracca said ANB’s workrate.

We have had 17 Picks between 20-30 since our inception into the AFL.

Cook, Berry, Schoenberg, Worrell, Hamill, M Crouch, Kerridge, Gunston, McKernan, Otten, Jacky, Van Berlo, Gibson, Steinglein, Johnson, Kennett, McKinnon.

3 All Australian game winners (Crouch, Johnson, Gunston)
2 long term servants, but role players (Steinglein/VB).
2 very good third tall role players (Otten / Worrell)

10 average footballers.

Its worth giving up a pick like this for a guaranteed walk up best 22 player.

It's not worth it For 2-3 years of that player in a non-contending period.

He brings leadership, consistency and hardness at the footy - can spend time on ball

(Just to intrude if I may ...).

Yes. But his biggest attribute and why all that works is that he can run all day. For years now he's been first - or close to - in our 2 km and 3 km time trials. He's a running machine who basically just runs up and down the field all day.

Good luck with Alex, you'll have someone who's a real contributor on-field and off, even if it's not always obvious. Will be sorely missed at Melbourne where he has become a much-loved and respected player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Just to intrude if I may ...).

Yes. But his biggest attribute and why all that works is that he can run all day. For years now he's been first - or close to - in our 2 km and 3 km time trials. He's a running machine who basically just runs up and down the field all day.

Good luck with Alex, you'll have someone who's a real contributor on-field and off, even if it's not always obvious. Will be sorely missed at Melbourne where he has become a much-loved and respected player.
Interesting, in that we have a few of running machines, and they aren't that good.

Maybe he can show Jones a thing or two. Similar body shapes.

Interesting, in that we have a few of running machines, and they aren't that good.

Maybe he can show Jones a thing or two. Similar body shapes.
Keays is a running machine and the closest comparison to ANB you’ll get. With those two we quite possibly have the two best medium defensive forward/mids in the league right now.

Keays is a running machine and the closest comparison to ANB you’ll get. With those two we quite possibly have the two best medium defensive forward/mids in the league right now.
Keays is 185 ANB 182.

For reference Charlie Cameron is 183 and is a better defensive and offensive forward than both.

Would you waste Cameron on a defensive forward role though? Probably not.

I wouldn't get too carried away.

Keays is 185 ANB 182.

For reference Charlie Cameron is 183 and is a better defensive and offensive forward than both.

Would you waste Cameron on a defensive forward role though? Probably not.

I wouldn't get too carried away.
Charlie doesn’t play any midfield though, that’s the difference. Keays and ANB are two of the best in a role that is very valuable in the modern game.

Charlie doesn’t play any midfield though, that’s the difference. Keays and ANB are two of the best in a role that is very valuable in the modern game.
I don't think we want Keays or ANB spending large chunks in the middle of possible.

It's only by exception.

If you want to be that specific, there's probably very few forwards who are.defensive forwards who actually spend time in the midfield in the entire AFL. So you would be right there I. Saying they are 2 of the best (if not only players) that do this

I don't think it's a very important role as you say, I think teams that do it, do it out of necessity when they have no other options.

I don't think we want Keays or ANB spending large chunks in the middle of possible.

It's only by exception.

If you want to be that specific, there's probably very few forwards who are.defensive forwards who actually spend time in the midfield in the entire AFL. So you would be right there I. Saying they are 2 of the best (if not only players) that do this

I don't think it's a very important role as you say, I think teams that do it, do it out of necessity when they have no other options.
ANB actually spends a decent amount of time through the midfield and is a good clearance player. Similar to Keays around stoppages (not centre bounces). Having ANB will absolutely help with the connection between our midfield and forwards, which is a very important role. Him and Peatling are the two that will make our team significantly better in 2025.

ANB actually spends a decent amount of time through the midfield and is a good clearance player. Similar to Keays around stoppages (not centre bounces). Having ANB will absolutely help with the connection between our midfield and forwards, which is a very important role. Him and Peatling are the two that will make our team significantly better in 2025.
No thanks.

Only by exception for the both of them, will I want to see them in the midfield.

Keays because he has woeful disposal but it's also a very poor decision maker in close.

ANB because I'd rather invest that time in a younger developing midfielder. We might as well give games to Laird who averages twice as many clearance as ANB if we giving him minutes for his clearance ability, which I'm also against.

If there's a defensive role to be done in midfield, then sure. But like I said by exception.

Keays' versatility to go into the midfield if needed is a strength, but it only actually happens if something has gone very wrong during a match. By and large, he spends all of his time up forward now.

I'm not too concerned about ANB's age. I don't think it's a given that he slows down as soon as he turns 30, and if we actually manage the club properly we should be contending again within 2-3 years and he should still be playing quality football. And if we're not, then it really doesn't matter who we recruit, since we'll be essentially back to square one and starting our rebuild over again.

Pick 25 (or whatever it is by now) feels on the high end, I'd love to see something else coming back the other way, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Keays' versatility to go into the midfield if needed is a strength, but it only actually happens if something has gone very wrong during a match. By and large, he spends all of his time up forward now.

I'm not too concerned about ANB's age. I don't think it's a given that he slows down as soon as he turns 30, and if we actually manage the club properly we should be contending again within 2-3 years and he should still be playing quality football. And if we're not, then it really doesn't matter who we recruit, since we'll be essentially back to square one and starting our rebuild over again.

Pick 25 (or whatever it is by now) feels on the high end, I'd love to see something else coming back the other way, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
In the overall package of us unloading McAdam to the Dees last year, it's a good deal...

Effectively McAdam for ANB....

Not right now., We would have to trade out a player or move to rookie list

Up to 38 max allowed on Senior List
Rookie A List to bring total to 42 + Cat B Rookie list the etra spot

We have currently (3 spots to fill) Neale-Bullen and Peatling to come in giving us one spot
Senior
1 - Jones 8 - Rachele 15 - Michalanney 22 - Schoenberg 29 Smith
2 - Keays 9 - Pedlar 16 - Taylor 23 - Nankervis 30 Sholl
3 - Berry 10 - Edwards 17 - Hinge 24 - N Murray 31 Bond
4 - Murphy 11 - Dawson 18 - Burgess 25 - Laird 32 Butts
5 - Crouch 12 - Walker 19 - Ryan 26 - Milera 33 Obrien
6 - Curtin 13 - Soligo 20 - Rankine 27 - Dowling 34 Strachan
7 - Thilthorpe 14 - Cook 21 - Worrell 28 - Fogarty 35 Cumming

Rookie A - One spot available
1- Borlase
2- T Murray
3 - Keane