Opinion New AFC HQ (Part 2): We're on like Donkey Kong!

Remove this Banner Ad

So what are we actually up for do we know?
From memory the Westpac centre we forked out 20 million?

Not sure where the rest of the money is coming from but this article from just a few months ago says we'd need to "take on a $20 million loan to fund the project"

and https://www.indaily.com.au/news/2023/03/02/crows-eye-state-govt-funding-for-world-class-thebarton-hq

Potentially the surrounding works and community spaces mentioned are included in the $100 million project cost? That would be another $20+ million funded by council and state government.

Maybe $22 million surrounding work, plus $30 million state and federal government, something from the AFL? something for leaving West Lakes? and I imagine there will be some big sponsor and membership fundraisers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a section of land bounded by Ann Nelson Drive, the river and Murray Street they are developing, which will include the bowling club. Just to the east of South Road and south of the river.
Cool, hopefully they can connect up the footpath along the southern side of the river through to South Rd.

I can't remember, does the club get anything for leaving West Lakes early?
No one answered this query. Would be nice to have a single list of what has been promised from all sources such as the State, federal Afl and other funds such as any compensation that we should be receiving for leaving West Lakes. After all our early departure benefits the local council.

Also how much would members be prepared to donate to the Thebby project. with 60.000 plus members if they could donate $50 to a special fund that is say tax deductable for next year thats $3mill and if that was practical repeat that for 5 years that $15m for the club so long as its just used for thebby. I live in Brissy but I would be prepared to find $50 each year for the next 5 years and still maintain my membership.

Yeah I know not all 60,000 members could afford that because a lot of those members are children but surely the club could raise that kind of funding through special projects but making sure that the funds are used else where within the club.

Last edited:
No one answered this query. Would be nice to have a single list of what has been promised from all sources such as the State, federal Afl and other funds such as any compensation that we should be receiving for leaving West Lakes. After all our early departure benefits the local council.
Right now I know that:
  1. State - $15M
  2. State - $10M (Upgrades to the precinct)
  3. Feds - $15M
  4. Council - $11.2M (This money may be earmarked for general precinct upgrades only, I'm not sure. Though be spent on things like refurbishment of old grand stands or other heritage buildings within the AFC lease for example?)
  5. AFL - ? (Funding from the AFL was dependent on meeting certain criteria that included a second oval - hence why a second oval of some description was important - and the 2nd oval we'll have initially just meets minimum size requirements)
  6. AFC (Westlakes) - ?

Right now I know that:
  1. State - $15M
  3. Feds - $15M
  4. Council - $11.2M (This money may be earmarked for general precinct upgrades only, I'm not sure. Though be spent on things like refurbishment of old grand stands or other heritage buildings within the AFC lease for example?)
  5. AFL - ? (Funding from the AFL was dependent on meeting certain criteria that included a second oval - hence why a second oval of some description was important - and the 2nd oval we'll have initially just meets minimum size requirements)
  6. AFC (Westlakes) - ?

State $10M and Councils $11.2M is precinct, but maybe we are including that in the $100M estimate?

So the above, add the $20M from corporate and supporters mentioned above, $10M between AFL and leaving West Lakes, and a $20M loan gets to the $100M.

Not sure where the rest of the money is coming from but this article from just a few months ago says we'd need to "take on a $20 million loan to to fund the project"

and https://www.indaily.com.au/news/2023/03/02/crows-eye-state-govt-funding-for-world-class-thebarton-hq

Potentially the surrounding works and community spaces mentioned are included in the $100 million project cost? That would be another $20+ million funded by council and state government.

Maybe $22 million surrounding work, plus $30 million state and federal government, something from the AFL? something for leaving West Lakes? and I imagine there will be some big sponsor and membership fundraisers.

Here are some hypothetical numbers.

I've read that $40 million is coming from the State and Fed Governments. There $15 million each and an additional $10 million coming for South Road redevelopment compensation.

I also suspect that we must be getting some incentive to get out of West Lakes otherwise we'd just rent out the space we have for the next 30 years. It's a decent parcel of land let's say we get a $10 mill golden parachute from the developers for that.

That puts us at $50 mill

We could also look at corporate funding too ie naming rights at the ground etc we could do a long term deal for 10 years and could also look other types of fund raising ideas from the members that could potentially net us another 10 million.

The AFL and council are providing funding too let's say between them is 10 million.

No doubt the SANFL will want some type of long term installment plan for the $10 mill that we're paying them so that will be money we don't have to borrow.

Even on those rough figures would be a 20 mill loan.

Last edited:
I also suspect that we must be getting some incentive to get out of West Lakes otherwise we'd just rent out the space we have for the next 30 years. It's a decent parcel of land let's say we get $10 mill golden parachute from the developers for that.
Would think that would have been based on us leaving and no one going in, leaving it free for developers to use - but with the SANFL going in, that stuffs that up.

Would think that would have been based on us leaving and no one going in, leaving it free for developers to use - but with the SANFL going in, that stuffs that up.
Based on the squealing around the SANFL using the ground less than us, there's zero chance the oval would be anything other than green space, even if we did leave it empty. The building on the other hand, probably still has a bit of value. The SANFL, however don't seem to want it since they're building on land they own on the other side of the oval (other side of the street even).

Right now I know that:
  1. State - $15M
  3. Feds - $15M
  6. AFC (Westlakes) - ?
Thanks for that summary. Good to have it all in one place.

The SANFL are just getting the oval and as someone else said they're using the land on the western side for the development.

The eastern side where we are currently is being knocked down and appears to be going to be used for housing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion New AFC HQ (Part 2): We're on like Donkey Kong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back