Workshop New Clash Jumper for Essendon in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Essendon Clash

I know you dont particularly care what I think but inverted red and black would be great IMO. That being said the AFL is clasing red as a dark colour now so their clash has to be white or silver (or some other random colour)

Here's a link to the thread you shouldve posted this in
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733677

I thought red was going from dark to light? I'm sure its already classed as dark (and Melbourne having a white clash too shows this).

I thought red was going from dark to light? I'm sure its already classed as dark (and Melbourne having a white clash too shows this).

No, that was just the AFL creating rules on the fly once again. Adelaide used to have a league-accepted navy/red setup without incident.

From 2011 Red is considered a Dark colour by the AFL.
Clubs need a Light and a Dark uniform, therefore, if their other main colour is also a Dark colour, eg Black or Navy, then they need a light colour.
Essendon are expected to use Titanium Silver as it is the colour of the plane in the logo.
Quoted from the thread I linked earlier.

Melbourne have two clashes, yes, but the red one hasnt been worn this year because they have another one that solves the clash problem better. I wouldnt really count the red Melbourne jumper as a clash because it hasnt been worn this year and will become obsolete in 2011. They may have submited it to the AFL as a clash, but I do not think it was neccessary really. Perfect oportunity to wear it agaist Carlton the other week but didnt so...

Basically, the best clash strips are ones that go away from the traditional guernsy, but retain club symbols and colours, or ones that stay very similar to normal guernsies, but changing the front and the back to a different colour. eg. thicker white stripes plus white back on Collingwood and St. Kilda Guernsies.

So Red Sash, an inch or 2 of black on either side of the sash, plus titanium gray all round. simple and easy.

LeeARM can you please get your fantastic design to the EFC before its too late!....bloody great mate................:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I love it. But I think what would make it better is if the sash also extended to the back of the jumper, in a similar style (with a gradually widening black sash on each side), and the numbers in black with a white outline. I'm absolutely hopeless with photoshop so I hope someone can visualise what I mean.

EssendonClashConcept2-1.png

I tried it with your numbers but I felt these ones looked clearer.

It looks even better with the sash on the back.

Personally I think it ruins the whole motion of the the plane flying, but it would probably look better from the stands. Maybe I can fix it so that the black bits flow all the way to the back corner.

Edit: Like this
EssendonClashConcept3.png

Personally I think it ruins the whole motion of the the plane flying, but it would probably look better from the stands. Maybe I can fix it so that the black bits flow all the way to the back corner.

I get what you're saying, but from side on it will look weird, because the fat outline of the sash will meet with the part where the outline is pretty much gone.

EDIT: Unless the fat part of the outline on the front ends at the bomber, which it looks like it kind of does (it's hard to see). If that's the case, then there's no problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I see what you were trying to achieve - that the black signifies the contrails of the aircraft. I like it, and I think you're right - it works better with a thinning sash at the back that gradually gets wider as it goes over the shoulder and joins with the Bomber logo. I really like this - it keeps the traditional Essendon red sash in tact, so there's no mistaking this as anything other than an Essendon jumper. This is an absolutely brilliant design and I hope it becomes reality! :thumbsu:

Thanks for the comments everyone but as a Bomber fan, I don't really like it that much. I think it looks cool but Essendon is more of a traditional club and this jumper would have the supporters in uproar while I just sit their pretending I have nothing to do with it.

Okay, I'll be honest, any clash jumper will anger Essendon fans.
I'll send it in anyway, couldn't hurt.

Agreed, but there's a time for fun. And I got a good little laugh out of your strip:)

I'm sorry if this looks messy, but I thought this one would be nice and simple. Still essentially our red & black, but with a reversal and a side stripe. I just don't like the idea of this "permenant" inclusion of Grey in with the Red & Black, it is a little unnecessary.

47305_427985689462_582379462_4624120_1385051_n.jpg

I'm sorry if this looks messy, but I thought this one would be nice and simple. Still essentially our red & black, but with a reversal and a side stripe. I just don't like the idea of this "permenant" inclusion of Grey in with the Red & Black, it is a little unnecessary.

47305_427985689462_582379462_4624120_1385051_n.jpg

Apparently, red is now a "dark colour" and the AFL has asked Essendon to design a predominantly light colour jumper. Reversal of colours is fine for clubs with a light colour as part of their colours, but as we don't, we've been asked to do something else. I do share a loathing for clash jumpers - I don't think they should've been introduced in the first place. Every club's jumpers are significantly different enough to be able to distinguish them, particularly with the combination with the white shorts.

As far as clash jumpers go, however - if we have to have one, then LeeARM's design appears to be perfect, and much better than the horrid "thick sash" design that we currently have.

If clubs don't want to wear an alternate guernsey, why not make a set of knitted jumpers to wear in clash games. That will provide enough of a difference - they don't reflect stadium lighting like polyester jumpers.

Apparently, red is now a "dark colour" and the AFL has asked Essendon to design a predominantly light colour jumper. Reversal of colours is fine for clubs with a light colour as part of their colours, but as we don't, we've been asked to do something else. I do share a loathing for clash jumpers - I don't think they should've been introduced in the first place. Every club's jumpers are significantly different enough to be able to distinguish them, particularly with the combination with the white shorts.

As far as clash jumpers go, however - if we have to have one, then LeeARM's design appears to be perfect, and much better than the horrid "thick sash" design that we currently have.

Oh really? I was unaware of the rules on light and dark colours, which does change things. If i had to choose I do prefer the design done by LeeARM without the sash to the rear, though. It is disappointing that the strips must be changed essentially to conform to TV coverage and visability. But these are the times, aren't they?

But polyester is more uncomfortable, it's not a natural fibre, it doesn't breathe. And players wore knitted jumpers for 100 years with no problems. Note that it's ever since polyester jumpers came in that we've had major issues with colour clashes - because the jumpers are shiny and reflect the light.

But polyester is more uncomfortable, it's not a natural fibre, it doesn't breathe. And players wore knitted jumpers for 100 years with no problems. Note that it's ever since polyester jumpers came in that we've had major issues with colour clashes - because the jumpers are shiny and reflect the light.

I always wondered why Carlton's jumpers never looked black any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Workshop New Clash Jumper for Essendon in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back