News New Jumpers For 2020 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how they use classic old MG’s in the promo pretending that they’re not two completely different companies
Really, MG is the perfect sponsor for Port Power. Both are relatively new, soulless corporations trading on the goodwill and nostalgia created by highly successful brands from the past. Both modern brands are parasitic entities that survive on duping brand-loyal old timers (presumably aided by dementia) and poorly educated children who lack the analytical capability to deduce that the two are in no way historically related.

* hides *

Really, MG is the perfect sponsor for Port Power. Both are relatively new, soulless corporations trading on the goodwill and nostalgia created by highly successful brands from the past. Both modern brands are parasitic entities that survive on duping brand-loyal old timers (presumably aided by dementia) and poorly educated children who lack the analytical capability to deduce that the two are in no way historically related.

* hides *
C0BF469E-F292-436F-8A17-B926B64FEE3D.gif

* hides *
yeah? well, that's just like, your opinion, man

* hides *
St Kilda's membership drive has taken a weird turn this year.

* hides *

Don't forget old MG's have very poor reliability rates like Port Adelaide has after April every year

* hides *
At least we have highly successful brands from the past:p
There's some truth in what you say, however to state that we are no longer historically related is balderdash. We are the Port Adelaide Football Club still, but a highly controlled version of it at present. Hopefully in time we can reclaim our club from the AFL, but it's going to be a long hard road. The MG sponsorship is excellent, and our future looks a lot brighter with them on board. More sponsorship wins like this, removal of coaching dead wood & on field success (more likely when said deadwood has been removed) will help us regain our independence (or at least as much of it as any other AFL club can achieve).

The South Melbourne Red V guernsey is set to return on May 30 when the Swans take on Richmond at the MCG
1582723152100.png

The 81-year-old, who won Brownlows in 1959, '63 and '68, joined current Swans co-captains Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker recently in returning to the Temperance Hall, where the club was founded 146 years ago.

"The relationship (between Sydney and South Melbourne) looked like falling over at one stage, but it's a credit to so many people that they not only saved the club, but also kept the link to the past," Skilton said.
"I'd like to think that I had a reasonable say in (the relationship) not falling over.
"There are a lot of people in Melbourne who love the Swans. It took some time to get it right, but we are so grateful to have this connection.
"It has rubbed off on Sydney, not just the players, but also with the fans. It's just getting better and better."

The Temperance Hall, in Napier Street, was the scene of the first meeting of the South Melbourne Football Club in 1874. Originally built by the Emerald Hill Temperance Society, it was part of a worldwide movement to promote abstinence of alcohol.
That would have suited Skilton for a time as he never touched a drop alcohol until he was 24 years of age, by which time he had won two of his three Brownlows.
Kennedy said visiting the birthplace of the Swans was "an incredibly surreal experience."
"This is where it all started, with people sitting around a table discussing the birth of a football club," Kennedy said. "It's a good reminder of the club we play for and what we are here to represent.
“I am in my 14th season and it feels like it has been a long career. But in the scheme of things, that's quite insignificant. All we can do is try to make an impact in the time we are here."

The Swans announced at their guernsey presentation and Hall of Fame function last night that the team will wear a South Melbourne-inspired heritage jumper in the Round 11 clash with Richmond at the MCG.
Parker loves the connection between the Swans and the 'Bloods', which was solidified further when Sydney won its drought-breaking 2005 flag.
"It's something we try to teach our first-year player in our induction night, where our club came from and where it all started, and to learn about legends like Bobby Skilton,” Parker.
"We know how important it is to recognise where we came from. To connect with the South Melbourne people, and our fans are a big part of it when we are down in Melbourne.
"They are such a big part of our supporter base and we love playing down here."
Skilton has endured a few health issues in recent years, but tries to get to as many Swans games in Melbourne as he can.
“I’m going all right,” he said. “I go to rehab at the hospital and there are kids in their 20s who are never going to walk again, so I’ve got nothing to complain about.
“I’ve had a few tough tears, but compared to those kids, I’m on clover.”
Kennedy says the current Swans cannot help but be inspired by Skilton’s presence.
“The amount of respect we have for Bobby, what he has been through, and the pride he displays in our football club is contagious.”

At least we have highly successful brands from the past:p
There's some truth in what you say, however to state that we are no longer historically related is balderdash. We are the Port Adelaide Football Club still, but a highly controlled version of it at present. Hopefully in time we can reclaim our club from the AFL, but it's going to be a long hard road. The MG sponsorship is excellent, and our future looks a lot brighter with them on board. More sponsorship wins like this, removal of coaching dead wood & on field success (more likely when said deadwood has been removed) will help us regain our independence (or at least as much of it as any other AFL club can achieve).
Yeah I was just taking the piss. I get that the two club thing was a necessary evil to get out of the SANFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EBFC? Huh?

Attachments

• 8BD2DC67-79B6-442E-A60F-2806A20218C7.png
    8BD2DC67-79B6-442E-A60F-2806A20218C7.png
    712.4 KB · Views: 110
EBFC? Huh?

It’s just one of those members items that the club produces. I think they have been using it for a couple of years, but I wouldn’t read anything into it.

As for the swans kit, would love to see more of the heritage stuff (but more as a one off than a Melbourne based thing).

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Article from the Swans website on the heritage guernsey

The club will celebrate its proud history and birthday during the inaugural Swans Heritage Week in the lead-up to, and during, its clash with Richmond.
Looks like this will be a yearly thing from now on, hopefully kicks off a few other clubs to get around the idea and then we'll have some heritage match-ups :)

Looks like this will be a yearly thing from now on, hopefully kicks off a few other clubs to get around the idea and then we'll have some heritage match-ups :)

They did a heritage game with the bombers in 2018 at the scg (might have been a isc tie up and both kits were pretty much the same), and was said to be a yearly thing at the time (at least from Essendon). The problem with heritage jumpers with afl sides (especially from vic) are the kits haven’t actually changed very much, if at all, for at least half a century

They did a heritage game with the bombers in 2018 at the scg (might have been a isc tie up and both kits were pretty much the same), and was said to be a yearly thing at the time (at least from Essendon). The problem with heritage jumpers with afl sides (especially from vic) are the kits haven’t actually changed very much, if at all, for at least half a century

Collingwood has always had black and white stripes, but there are many interesting ways you can go at differentiating different heritage jumpers, such as a simple white with three black stripes and a creamy wool colour for the white. Another would be to replicate a specific era/team such as what we did for ANZAC Day, replicating the 1919 "Peace" Premiers.

Wouldn't want it to be a thing where teams need to change it up completely from year to year (see NFL throwbacks, some teams don't change theirs for years), just a match-up between two teams in traditional kits is a nice nod to the past and to show how far the league has come and how much still remains from those days.

Collingwood has always had black and white stripes, but there are many interesting ways you can go at differentiating different heritage jumpers, such as a simple white with three black stripes and a creamy wool colour for the white. Another would be to replicate a specific era/team such as what we did for ANZAC Day, replicating the 1919 "Peace" Premiers.

Wouldn't want it to be a thing where teams need to change it up completely from year to year (see NFL throwbacks, some teams don't change theirs for years), just a match-up between two teams in traditional kits is a nice nod to the past and to show how far the league has come and how much still remains from those days.
Collingwood vs Carlton should always be in a Heritage Round to get around clash jumper rules.
Oh wait... 😂

Collingwood vs Carlton should always be in a Heritage Round to get around clash jumper rules.
Oh wait... 😂
I've always thought Carlton should go for something like this as a heritage match-up where the cream and a lighter navy blue would seem to provide enough contrast to our regular home jumper (I would love to wear white with black stripes but not sure if this would be possible), and it's also what Carlton would've worn in the years of the 1910 GF where the teams met in a GF for the first time.

1582783175613.png

Or otherwise I'd be okay with wearing white shorts just for a proper classic looking match-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back