New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but the Lankans are pie-chuckers.
No argument there, but two players batting together for that long is still worthy of high praise. Admittedly they had their share of luck, but it's a phenomenal achievement, and good luck to them. I only hope they lose a bit of form before they come here :)

What an awesome test match. Some huge momentum swings caused by quality batsman who possess a rare ability to persevere.

How bloody good is Kane Williamson? Best young batsman in the world along with Smith IMO. Joe Root is excellent too, but is a few steps behind those two in terms of their remarkable consistency.

Very generous declaration by McCullum I thought. Great to be aggressive and justifiably back his strongly performing bowling unit, but this is a very gettable target if the Sri Lankan lineup can be inspired by Kumar on the last day.

Sri Lanka brought Prasad in as a night watchman. Just wondering if anyone things its worth him having a swing tomorrow and trying to get some quick runs to set the pace?

Sri Lanka brought Prasad in as a night watchman. Just wondering if anyone things its worth him having a swing tomorrow and trying to get some quick runs to set the pace?

That's a good idea!

Prasad is quite a capable bat and can hit the ball pretty hard. I remember his 10th wicket partnership with Mathews game in 2011/12 where they nearly won the game in the last over. Played really well that night.

Agree but the Lankans are pie-chuckers.

Yes this is probably the worst Sri Lakan attack I have seen. Prasad is the only bowler with any sort of Test record. None of these guys would make the Australian side.

Looks like it will be up to Sangakarra once more. If he gets going and someone stays with him the Lakans will save this match. I doubt they can win from here.

New Zealand are playing well atm. They have the batsmen but I am not so sure about the variety and depth in their attack. Southee and Boult are young and useful and they will enjoy the extra bounce in Australia but outside of them the Black Caps struggle a bit. I think new Zealand are a better side than India at the moment, they certainly field better.

New Zealand are batting really well at the moment except with in dubai against pakis.. But Australia batted like crap there too.. however I personally don't think that they have the attack to really destroy teams at this stage they don't have those stand out bowlers.

The only team I think that has that at the moment on consistent is South Africa but they don't have a real spinner at the moment.

Boult gets Sangakarra, Black Caps now have to be strong favourites to win. Humid day in Wellington with some cloud around so will help them swing the ball.

McCullum is now pissed with the umpires, whilst they got Sanga with a review, tried another one only for it to be a no-ball. I swear umpires no longer have the guts to call a no-ball or runout.

New Zealand are batting really well at the moment except with in dubai against pakis.. But Australia batted like crap there too.. however I personally don't think that they have the attack to really destroy teams at this stage they don't have those stand out bowlers.
The only team I think that has that at the moment on consistent is South Africa but they don't have a real spinner at the moment.
South Africa have a pace attack unrivalled by anyone in the world so can get by without a frontline spinner. They also have a long history of not having decent spinners too.
The NZ attack for mine is better than what we are putting out in this test match.

Boult gets Sangakarra, Black Caps now have to be strong favourites to win. Humid day in Wellington with some cloud around so will help them swing the ball.

McCullum is now pissed with the umpires, whilst they got Sanga with a review, tried another one only for it to be a no-ball. I swear umpires no longer have the guts to call a no-ball or runout.

Saw the Sanga wicket. Couldn't for the life of me see anything on hotspot, and I thought snicko was inconclusive.
Very unlucky to be given out IMO.

Saw the Sanga wicket. Couldn't for the life of me see anything on hotspot, and I thought snicko was inconclusive.

Snicko showed a nick but it was only just there. If it were left to the ump he would have had to give it not out but the technology did show otherwise. It was a bottom edge nick so hot spot showed nothing as Sangakarra rolled the bat. I umpired a bit and bottom edge nicks were always the hardest to judge because the ball trajectory was downwards. With a top edge the ball deviates upward which I found easier to read. In parkland cricket you can also hear the nick but I guess at a Test with crowd noise that is a lot harder.

That was the big wicket for NZ.

There was nothing else it could be and the sound pattern was right for an edge.

Anyway the Kiwis are now finishing off what would of been a very enjoyable lunch having also seen the back of Silva and Mathews. 5 Wickets in two sessions, got to like the Kiwis to keep the good winning form going. The can't afford to lose a wicket this session if they want to save the match, winning it is was gone the moment Sangakarra went.

New Zealand had a lot of luck to be in the position they are now. However, you can't deny they are becoming a match better team.

Latham looks like a good young prospect, but Rutherford just doesn't cut the mustard. They have a good middle order in Williamson, Taylor and McCullum. Neesham also looks okay but is still young. It is rare that at least one of these guys don't make a big score in each innings. Wattling is an okay keep and better then average keeper/batsmen. He has the ability to hang around with the top order guys.

They probably need one more attacking bowler to support Boult and Southee, while Craig looks just okay as the spinner. The best thing for them is that they only have Taylor and McCallum on the wrong side of 30. Plenty of potential there. I think Guptill still should be playing.

Latham
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCallum*
Neesham
Watling#
Craig
Southee
Henry
Boult

12th Man: Bracewell/Anderson

Bracewell and Anderson can do a job, but I think the sooner they give Henry a crack the better they will be. He has only played 15 FC matches but has taken 62 wickets @ 21.93. He has taken 19 wickets @ 15 in just 6 ODIs

If that's the team that plays Australia next year, they will give them a shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prasanna batting ahead of Chandimal again. I don't get it. Chandimal is better and he's the future!
Was never going to be for long though. This pair is pretty much it now for Sri Lanka and still an hour to go before tea, can't see the tail sticking around all that long.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Remove this Banner Ad

Back