Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Who wins a flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team supporters have I heard that from before? Maybe only recently, like two years ago.
No idea. Do you mean Melbourne? I'm sure most supporters thought we could finish Top 4 after making a prelim. Saints haven't done that.

IMO our list is comfortably the best out of all the teams listed, but there's clearly issues with the coach.

Reckon semis is the limit for this saints team
Hills a flop Ryder be finished next year , ditto hannerbery

Unless they can buck there recent trend of only bringing in B/C graders and actually recruit some A graders last night is as good as it gets for saints fans

Reckon semis is the limit for this saints team
Hills a flop Ryder be finished next year , ditto hannerbery

Unless they can buck there recent trend of only bringing in B/C graders and actually recruit some A graders last night is as good as it gets for saints fans

Hills done SFA all year, happily give him back to Freo for nothing if you pay his salary. Won't hurt us at all, not even 0.001%.

Hanners is never out there so it makes no difference again.

Ryders been great and i say he will go another three years.

Last night the umps screwed us and we kicked poorly for goal and had three serious outs hit us all at once so to lose by five goals i can live with.

Coffield, Paton, Clark and King will all be AA at some point in their careers and are only 20. Our list is very young. Our backline, Carlisle aside had everyone under 50 games at the start of the year. King in essentially his first year was the main target up forward.

I can see huge improvements next year.

We do need to get involved in trade time however. I would like to move Carlisle on and grab a young KPD and hopefully the Caldwell trade comes through.

We got a few other players clubs will want that we can table so will be an interesting next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can do some more good trading this offseason we could be in proper contention in a couple of years.
It's a possibility. But its also a double edged sword too. Sure it's good to top up on a couple of free agents as rotating depth. Also saints do have some solid players in that 21-24 year old range. So making an elimination final in 2021 and 2022 then a push for a top 4 spot in 2023 is realistic but at least possible if things go their way.

I don't think too many saints predicted finals this season. But now the mindset is different.

The question is are the saints willing to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick for an established 21-24 year old?

A lot can change in a few years. This is an irresponsible comment
Well anything can happen. I look at the eagles of 2002-6 as an example......

They made Elim finals in 2002-2004, in 2003, they could of made top 4 if it wasn't for injuries. In 2005, they made a grand final, in 2006, they won a grand final.

I think north have to spend 2-3 more seasons in the bottom 6 getting quality kids in the draft before making finals.

I'm going to use both Carlton and Demon as an example. Me personally, I see both of them falling short in 2021.

But I can see either side do what west coast did 20 years ago. Make 3 Elim finals in a row and possibly get a finals win in 2022-4 then make a grand final in 2025.

Looking at Richmond as well. They made 3 Elim finals in 2013-15, had a bad season in 2016 then won a flag in 2017

It's a possibility. But its also a double edged sword too. Sure it's good to top up on a couple of free agents as rotating depth. Also saints do have some solid players in that 21-24 year old range. So making an elimination final in 2021 and 2022 then a push for a top 4 spot in 2023 is realistic but at least possible if things go their way.

I don't think too many saints predicted finals this season. But now the mindset is different.

The question is are the saints willing to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick for an established 21-24 year old?
Push for top 4 in 2023!?

We just finished 5th!

So we're already "pushing for top 4", and with another preseason under the belts of all the young ones in our team, and potentially the addition of 2-3 more best 22 types, I don't think it's too hard to see how we could push INTO the top 4 next year.

The saints are an exciting team.
Who would have thought they would surpass Carltons slow rebuild so quickly.

Heading in the right direction with Ratts at the reins as well.

Can’t deny they are going well under Ratts, but they’ve also missed finals every year since 2012 and have accumulated plenty of high picks along the way. Unsurprisingly their improvement has come about in no small part due to the development of Coffield, Clark and King.

Trading in a bunch of mature players last off-season was exactly what they needed to strengthen their list and improve their depth.

Following Essendon's implosion, if Melbourne can get their heads right they're at the front of the queue but the order is shuffling on a yearly basis.

Essendon are a long, long way off. But I don't think it is possible for small teams to win flags any more. Occasional push for a prelim spot is about all that can be done. Yes, the Dogs had one freak September, and that could happen again for someone. But the days of doing things smarter than a big team to make up for the resource gap appear gone.

That leaves Essendon and Carlton, and its easier to see a way back for Essendon than a way to the top for Carlton.
So, Essendon by default, but that's a minimum five and more likely ten years away.

Saints have got two years to get there I reckon and could do it. Ryder and Carlisle are crucial. They have some ripper kids though so if they can replace those two quickly who know. Carlton also have a lot of pieces in place.
Although a lot of the noise at the moment is just media beat up we are miles away. Hope we really bottom out next year and can do a serious rebuild.

Saints would be slightly ahead of Blues based on this year's results, if Blues can get Saad and Williams in this offseason, they could jump ahead of them next year, or equal to them at least.
Saints and Blues obviously a fair way ahead of the others at the moment but things can turn quickly.

Saints would be slightly ahead of Blues based on this year's results, if Blues can get Saad and Williams in this offseason, they could jump ahead of them next year, or equal to them at least.
Saints and Blues obviously a fair way ahead of the others at the moment but things can turn quickly.
Why are blues obviously ahead of Melbourne? Carlton haven’t done anything yet and finished below Melbourne this year. If Melbourne get Brown and he gets back into good form, I’ll back them to go better than Carlton next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Back