NFL Div 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It would have to be a pretty extreme broken foot to be upwards of 12 weeks. If there's no complicating factors I don't see why we wouldn't see him back and getting in 3-4 games before finals.
It's all rumour at the moment but broken bones in your feet can be a nightmare, there's about 27 bones in each.

Shane Harvey out for the Dogs as discussed.

Hayes a solid in for the Stars.

Thomo haven't shown anything against the Top 4 so far this year. Not sure they will get the win but hopefully see them improve on the previous few weeks. If they're going to be any chance of stealing a finals place though these are the games they have to win

Last edited:
Have to be a massive turn around for Thomastown to beat Stars. I hope they can be competitive as the division is better for it if the lower four teams are competitive, but they were awful against North and I can't see them turning it around so quickly.

Round 5 and the finals sides already locked in. The bottom 4 teams are just so uncompetitive against the top 4.

I don't think we'll see any of the bottom 4 snag a win against the top 4 this year.

Round 5 and the finals sides already locked in. The bottom 4 teams are just so uncompetitive against the top 4.

I don't think we'll see any of the bottom 4 snag a win against the top 4 this year.
You'd think it may be that way, but still a possibility for a Thommo to sneak in with the uneven draw. Watching Lower and Lalor today and result aside, I think it highlights the need for the NFL to work with the current clubs to secure their futures. Not a lot of support today for Lalor and you could count those who hung around after the game on a Simpsons family members hand afterwards. Big loss for ressies and apparently some blokes selected in ones allegedly didn't show up and had to be replaced by seconds players. Certainly some issues there that need addressing and support.

I'm told the end score was also pretty kind to Thomastown. Stars had the game won by quarter time and eased off after half time with Thomo scoring the bulk of their score in the last 5-10 mins in junk time.

Disappointing for the league there is such a huge gap between top and bottom four. League would hate that finals are almost settled only 5 weeks in.
Huge margins are not really fun to watch even if my team wins them. Much prefer a close contest.

Disappointing for the league there is such a huge gap between top and bottom four. League would hate that finals are almost settled only 5 weeks in.
Huge margins are not really fun to watch even if my team wins them. Much prefer a close contest.
Difference between top and bottom is the same across all 3 divisions I would think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the points system.

I know we are struggling with it, and some good young kids have missed out on getting a game, which to me is unfair and not what a points system should be about. Having spoken to Panton Hill after the game, they too are maxed out on points even though they are on the bottom of the ladder.

With a salary cap in place, why do you need a points system? If you have 21/22 guys that want to play together and they all fit in the cap, then that is good enough for me.

For clubs without juniors & under 19's this is going to become a big issue. The thing is, half the league don't have 19's so it is going to get interesting.

My belief is the league will be a lot smaller in size in 10 years time at this rate, & adding more rules and complexities won't help anyones cause.

We should be making the competition standard as strong as possible within reason, and the points system won't allow that. The salary cap will protect clubs from keeping up with the Joneses and killing themselves, so I am very happy with that.

I hear your concerns but the salary cap is totally susceptible to rorting and will be rorted by the more financial clubs. Would'nt a club such as PHill be better off trying to attract three or four real guns, matchwinners with VFL /AFL experience and build locals around them rather than getting a lot of division one fringe players each season?

]I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the points system.

I know we are struggling with it, and some good young kids have missed out on getting a game, which to me is unfair and not what a points system should be about. Having spoken to Panton Hill after the game, they too are maxed out on points even though they are on the bottom of the ladder.

With a salary cap in place, why do you need a points system? If you have 21/22 guys that want to play together and they all fit in the cap, then that is good enough for me.

For clubs without juniors & under 19's this is going to become a big issue. The thing is, half the league don't have 19's so it is going to get interesting.

My belief is the league will be a lot smaller in size in 10 years time at this rate, & adding more rules and complexities won't help anyones cause.

We should be making the competition standard as strong as possible within reason, and the points system won't allow that. The salary cap will protect clubs from keeping up with the Joneses and killing themselves, so I am very happy with that.[/QUOTE]

If you get 4 ex vfl/afl players willing to travel to PH you are probably looking at $1500 + a head. I am not sure they would be in a financial position to be paying that sort of money.

Picking up fringe Div 1 players that want to play senior footy, and or need the coin to warrant playing on a Saturday is probably their only option. They are from a small town with no under 19's, so under a points system I think they are resigned to Div 3.

As far as the salary cap goes, if the comp thinks clubs are going to rort it, then why bother introducing it? Make the fines big enough and scary enough to prevent it from happening. i.e demotion to a lower grade if caught, etc.[/QUOTE]

I hear your concerns but the salary cap is totally susceptible to rorting and will be rorted by the more financial clubs. Would'nt a club such as PHill be better off trying to attract three or four real guns, matchwinners with VFL /AFL experience and build locals around them rather than getting a lot of division one fringe players each season?

I cant see how any local comp could possibly have the resources, time or power to carry out any investigation into salary caps, it just seams a totally stupid idea to try and enforce that sort of system on clubs that run a cash based business.
To me the points system seems to be working well, I am sure at times there will be teams who struggle with it but surely thats the problem of the team not the problem of the NFL, its not like it has been sprung on anyone.

I cant see how any local comp could possibly have the resources, time or power to carry out any investigation into salary caps, it just seams a totally stupid idea to try and enforce that sort of system on clubs that run a cash based business.
To me the points system seems to be working well, I am sure at times there will be teams who struggle with it but surely thats the problem of the team not the problem of the NFL, its not like it has been sprung on anyone.
Couldn't agree more, reckon the money clubs can spend under a salary cap is irrelevant if they get the points allocation right. Still too high IMO. Get it to 35 within 3 seasons and if clubs can and are willing to pay "local" players good coin to reward them for their service, well done to them....

What do you classify as a "local" player?
Brent Harvey is one but that's for another day. You've been stiched up there...

I would say if you can fit 22 blokes into a side with 35 points pay them whatever the club can afford. Players lose a point each season so in reality you can still acquire a 5 or 6 pointer signing each season but the onus would be on clubs to ensure they look after the guys they already have and makes it really important to retain good people who will be medium to long term prospects. That's ideal scenario, reality is that's much easier in theory than it may be in practice.

My biggest issue with the cap, what happens to a club who goes down a division. Current div 1 club may be able to pay let's say 170k comfortably and are happy to do so. They have a bad/unlucky season and then need to shed 55k from player payments, even more if they are at the limit of cap! Not easy to do and if players choose to leave, then you have to replace them with either palyers who may not be up to senior standard in any Division just yet or replace them with recruits who will be worth more points.

Brent Harvey is one but that's for another day. You've been stiched up there...

I would say if you can fit 22 blokes into a side with 35 points pay them whatever the club can afford. Players lose a point each season so in reality you can still acquire a 5 or 6 pointer signing each season but the onus would be on clubs to ensure they look after the guys they already have and makes it really important to retain good people who will be medium to long term prospects. That's ideal scenario, reality is that's much easier in theory than it may be in practice.

My biggest issue with the cap, what happens to a club who goes down a division. Current div 1 club may be able to pay let's say 170k comfortably and are happy to do so. They have a bad/unlucky season and then need to shed 55k from player payments, even more if they are at the limit of cap! Not easy to do and if players choose to leave, then you have to replace them with either palyers who may not be up to senior standard in any Division just yet or replace them with recruits who will be worth more points.

The points system is flawed in a number of ways. Let's use 1 quick example:

A club recruits a 5 point "marquee player" but after 2 of the player under preforming and being well paid you decide his not worth keeping. However his now a 3 point player, so your kind of enticed to keep him because of his lower points rather than risk another 5 pointer. So the points system can work against clubs..

Clubs going down and clubs going up need some sort of dispensary relief to stay competitive if going up and to keep players if going down. I don't disagree with the general principle however to have a blanket number of points for all clubs will favour those with good 1 pointers..

The points system is flawed in a number of ways. Let's use 1 quick example:

A club recruits a 5 point "marquee player" but after 2 of the player under preforming and being well paid you decide his not worth keeping. However his now a 3 point player, so your kind of enticed to keep him because of his lower points rather than risk another 5 pointer. So the points system can work against clubs..

Clubs going down and clubs going up need some sort of dispensary relief to stay competitive if going up and to keep players if going down. I don't disagree with the general principle however to have a blanket number of points for all clubs will favour those with good 1 pointers..
Yeah, pros and cons for both sides of the argument. My initial point being that a points system is far more simple and transparent than a salary cap which will always have rumour and inuendo attached to it. As Fridge42 said earlier, if a club is found to be in breach, needs to be a penalty that will send a message to any other club who may contemplate doing the same.

Always been a big issue even back in my day in the 80s. The gap between first and second divisions has always been a huge impost and there was always back then few surprises in relegation or finals.
We always struggled for under 19s in the 80s I feel surely only 2 divisions of seniors are required it would improve the standard , like country teams leagues merging is the key. No 19s see you later, 3 senior clubs within walking distance , too many
Make it elite
Create a under 21s even but give incentive

I think it's unfair to label the officials as dipshits. The responsibility is on North Heidelberg to produce formal paperwork of the partnership. That's IF a formal document was ever created.

In today's way of business we can't operate on perceived 'common knowledge'. The league are protecting the credibility of their player points system in creating a more even competition.
As a ex north player you're kidding. Back in the day it was a shambles, also played for other clubs. Treasurers helping themselves, part timers at clubs , joke of a league administrators.
Everybody and I mean everybody knows the Harvey's are North Heidelberg to the core. His return is the best thing to happen to the nfl for donkey's years.
Only a muppet would argue otherwise

As a ex north player you're kidding. Back in the day it was a shambles, also played for other clubs. Treasurers helping themselves, part timers at clubs , joke of a league administrators.
Everybody and I mean everybody knows the Harvey's are North Heidelberg to the core. His return is the best thing to happen to the nfl for donkey's years.
Only a muppet would argue otherwise

We've already had this discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Div 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back