NFNL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

10571z definitely a good get, imagine Lower Plenty in division 3, the fallout would be huge you would think
Would certainly be disappointing but not a “huge fallout”. I see it as a similar situation to 2005 when we were in Div 1 and finished winless under Watto with a very young list. That was the result of Danny Sexton moving on to greener pastures after 03 and some individuals putting the club in a precarious position during 04 that led to a loss of personal and players.

The last round of 05 saw us playing 10 under 19’s inc Dave Mitchell against Bundoora who beat us by close to 35 goals with us only kicking our first in last qtr I think.

It was all doom and gloom back then but but we regrouped and stabilised.

Currently the moral around the place is great (despite no wins) and I think everyone involved understands where and why the club is where it’s at. Must say that as someone who attended all pre season, Plunks and all the coaches have been sensational with keeping a good vibe for the younger guys and keeping them up.

I know there’ll be plenty probably salivating at us going down to Div 3 and talking up a demise but I think if it happens it will bond a lot of people together inc younger players who actually feel invested in the place, which is a good thing.

I think we can all agree the salary cap is a toothless tiger and not much of a deterrent to recruitment.
Brutal well said in relation to a toothless tiger but I still think it would have some impact as the $$$ that can be spent are obviously less in Div 3 to Div 2

Has Old Eltham joining the league had any impact of Lower Plenty's affiliation with Research Juniors and the number of players joining Lower?
you would have to think it would, although ive no idea if Research kids have or will end up at Turtle land, it at least gives the kids another option which is good. Assuming they have an MOU with Research of course.

Round 11 tips

Northcote Park 5th vs Lower Plenty 10th The cougars would have been very disappointed in their 76 point drubbing from Diamond Creek last Sat. They return back to Bill Lawry oval and have a chance to get straight back on the winners list as they take on winless Lower Plenty. Many thought the bears were a chance last week against Watsonia but fell to a 7 goal loss. Too much at stake for Northcote Park who if they want to play finals have to win these games. Cougars by 37 points

Watsonia 8th vs Panton Hill 7th Intriguing class at Binnak Park with the saints looking to make it 2 wins over Panton Hill in 2023. Lucente was again terrific for the saints last week. For the redbacks they pushed Eltham all game but couldn’t get over the line. Livingstone and Duckworth up forward have been in good touch and I think the redbacks can reverse the round 1 results and continue to push for finals. Panton Hill by 21 points

Eltham 2nd vs St Marys 4th The panthers got the job done away last week against Panton Hill with Horsfield collecting maximum coaches votes however he will be missing this week along with Maley and Weatherald. The panthers though aren’t firing on all 8 cylinders and St Marys might fancy their chances to spring an upset. No changes for the Burra either. Upset alert 🚨 is on but at home Eltham to get the 4 points. Eltham by 19 points

Epping 9th vs Diamond Creek 1st Epping battled hard last week against Thomastown but finished 31 points adrift J Hollow and Judd collected votes and they do welcome back Aqualina from Greensborough. For the demons they would have been very happy with a 76 thrashing of Northcote Park. Moloney collecting maximum coaches votes and with Randell, Booth, Donaldson and Barro all in good form, an easy win for Diamond Creek. Demons by 72 points

Sth Morang 3rd vs Thomastown 6th. The lions suffered just their 3rd loss last week going down to St Marys by 43 points. They will look to bounce straight back but it’s a danger game against the inconsistent Thomastown who need that big scalp to push for for finals. Leonardis continued his outstanding season and he would have to be one of the favourites for league BnF. Lopiccolo had his best game for the season and it was great to see Miki back in the coaches votes as well.
Toss of the coin, I have given Thomastown plenty of chances in 2023, and for some strange reason will give them one more. Thomastown in an upset by 9 points

Enjoy the footy

NP vs LP - Got a feeling Lower win this. NP been very disappointing. NP 15

ELT vs SM - match of the round. SM found their groove. . ELT cruise control top 2 in the bag. SM 3

Wat vs PH - Watsonia have dropped off and Ph improved. PH 12

DC vs EPP - DC 50

TT vs SM - TT very bad season. SM have a fair few out and it’s going to hurt. TT 12

Last edited:
Has Old Eltham joining the league had any impact of Lower Plenty's affiliation with Research Juniors and the number of players joining Lower?
I think Lower has suffered in recent years as Research have struggled for numbers in the u/17s…

Someone has said this before the age demographic in Research would be quiet old, doubt there are many young families living in Research to bring the kids through.

Epping loose Brent Holmberg and Ayyaan Ali! No lose for them there when they have gained Lucas Aqua back his a huge get for Epping.
Ayyaan hardly played this year has been to every club in the NFNL and Brent in and out of seniors shouldn’t have even played a senior game his a stick and can’t go in for hard ball. All running after Newport who isn’t any good at coaching good luck to them all. Everyone at Epping right now would be laughing that out of all players he can only take a few just shows how shit they really were.

Up dees this weekend against Epping they should pump the ping by 70+

Northcote should get lower by 30+

Eltham to pump st Mary’s

Southy just get over thomo

Watsonia to bet Panton hill

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

NC V LP - NC at home by 15 points
WAT V PH - WAT by 36 points
ELT V STM - ELT by 30 points
EPP V DC - DC by 80 points
SM V TT - SM by 3 points

Round 12 tips

Panton Hill 8th vs Northcote Park 5th The redbacks would have been very disappointed losing to Watsonia last week as they try to make the top 5. They now sit 6 points behind Northcote Park so this becomes a must win game for them. Keys and Livingstone have both been playing well but they need more from the Parks brothers, Duckworth and Freeman this week. For the Cougars they were able to increase their % with Tadd and M Perry getting 9 and 5 coaches votes respectively. A big opportunity for the Cougars to consolidate their top 5 position and shut Panton Hill’s hopes of playing finals in 2023. Cougars but 14 points

Diamond Creek 1st vs Lower Plenty 10th. The demons continue on their merry way with a 102 thumping of Epping last week. Jarvis and Lewis both having terrific games, they lose Marshall due to suspension for the 2nd time this year. For Lower Plenty it was another tough day with Leslie and Meale able to hold their heads high in their 83 point thrashing from Northcote Park. Percentage could play a big part in who gets relegated at the end of the year so the Bears will try and limit the damage. Diamond Creek by 75 points

Epping 9th vs Sth Morang 3rd. The blues suffered a 102 point loss and have have responded with 6 changes at the selection table. For Sth Morang they have hit a slight speed hump but get the chance this week to regain some form. They also have 6 changes this week so their side is also a little bit unsettled. They will still have too much class for Epping and return to winners list. Sth Morang by 37 points

Thomastown 6th vs Eltham 2nd. Finally I got a tip right with the Bears last week and they will look to continue that form against Eltham. Leonardis is becoming a short price favourite for league BnF at the end of the year with another BOG coaches votes. In more good news for the Bears Coulson and Miki were also in the votes. For the Panthers, they seem to be on cruise control, doing enough to take the 4 points but flirting with form can be dangerous. Owen returned to his early season form and Donaldson was a welcome addition back into the side. If Thomastown can get up, and results go their way they could find themselves in the top 5 at 5pm tomorrow night. Going for the upset. Thomastown by 7 points

St Marys 4th vs Watsonia 7th Massive game for both teams, St Marys pushed Eltham last week but never really look like winning. For Watsonia a big 2-5 to 0-2 last quarter saw them get a valuable 4 points over Panton Hill. The saints can draw level on points with st Marys with a win, will conversely a St Marys win will push them 2 games clear of Watsonia. This should be a beauty but at home in front of the Burra faithful St Marys to get the 4 points. St Marys by 16 points

Enjoy the footy

No! Affiliation is strong and fair to say a few clubs including Panton Hill, Heidelberg and OEC have asked the question RE an MOU, to no avail. Many years ago (about 15), we had group go up but not since. Like most clubs locally, we tend to lose a couple to the ‘Hill’ after a few years but that’s probably no different to Borough and Eltham over the past few years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No! Affiliation is strong and fair to say a few clubs including Panton Hill, Heidelberg and OEC have asked the question RE an MOU, to no avail. Many years ago (about 15), we had group go up but not since. Like most clubs locally, we tend to lose a couple to the ‘Hill’ after a few years but that’s probably no different to Borough and Eltham over the past few years.
Has lower thought about starting their own juniors? montmorency next door has 6 under 9s side this season? Even if 1 or 2 came across that would be a huge help in Lowers sustainability.

Has lower thought about starting their own juniors? montmorency next door has 6 under 9s side this season? Even if 1 or 2 came across that would be a huge help in Lowers sustainability.
I know it’s been discussed in the past but getting the human resources to facilitate it is probably a stumbling block at present. Bare in mind we still have good numbers coming through from Research and in a perfect world the thirds would be probably a top 4 side, if not for the amount of them that have played up and had to shoulder the load of the exodus pre season. The third’s hierarchy, players and support staff have really done a great job with the support they’ve provided the club and are a tremendous group, despite the challenges.

Diamond Creek looking the team to beat at the moment.
Lost seems healthy. Playing a great brand.

Sides at this time of year, consistently struggle to field anywhere near their best side.
Eltham in particular. No Horsfield, Montanaro, Bongetti, Taglieri, Weatherald etc they look to be missing 5-6 of their top 10-12 players. Might be the reason for the inconsistency in performance. Doing well to still be 10-1

Thomastown also with some notable outs. Mammone, Samie Tang etc

I feel if Elthams list starts to become healthy towards the back end of the year we could be in for an absolute bumper of a finals series

Diamond Creek looking the team to beat at the moment.
Lost seems healthy. Playing a great brand.

Sides at this time of year, consistently struggle to field anywhere near their best side.
Eltham in particular. No Horsfield, Montanaro, Bongetti, Taglieri, Weatherald etc they look to be missing 5-6 of their top 10-12 players. Might be the reason for the inconsistency in performance. Doing well to still be 10-1

Thomastown also with some notable outs. Mammone, Samie Tang etc

I feel if Elthams list starts to become healthy towards the back end of the year we could be in for an absolute bumper of a finals series
Eltham and DC Grand Final seems almost certain but a bad performance in a prelim is always possible. Both Eltham and Diamond Creek ready to be D1 clubs again.

Eltham and DC Grand Final seems almost certain but a bad performance in a prelim is always possible. Both Eltham and Diamond Creek ready to be D1 clubs again.
10571z let’s be honest, both Eltham and Diamond Creek have been under achieving division 2 clubs for many years. Would be a massive fail again if either of them doesn’t make division 1.
Let’s not kid ourselves though, the jump to division 1 is huge and if both don’t recruit for 2024 it will be up and then back down again again

PH V NP - Huge game up at Panton.. Can the Hill win and stay in contention for finals? At home I think so. PH by 20 points

DC V LP - Tough day for Lower. DC by 90

EPP V SM - Few outs for SM but surely get back on the winning list here. Might be closer then initial thought but SM by 36

TT V ELT - Should be a great contest as always between these two sides. Thomastown may make it tough for Eltham but i’m going Eltham to win by 23 points

STM V WAT - Massive game if Saints want to push for finals. St Marys have had the upper hand for a long time tho with Saints last win against the Burra coming back in Round 1 2019!

At home and with that in mind St Marys win this by 20

PH vs NP - Both having disappointing season, can’t see PH losing at home at against NP - PH 20

DC vs LP - Lower in for a very very long day 150

EPP vs SM - SM with quite a few out, Epping sniffing an upset SM 15

TT vs ELT - TT yet for fire a shot and won’t change here 50 points

SM vs Wats - SM 23

I really thought lower would rally and survive but they are seriously going to D3 at this stage.
10571z massive fall if they do, not that long ago they were a division 1 club
What will be interesting is if they go down to division 3, do more players leave or do some that have left come back hoping to win a flag
With rumours of Ivanhoe and Old Paradians possibly coming into the league next year, it will be hard for Lower to bounce straight back up

10571z massive fall if they do, not that long ago they were a division 1 club
What will be interesting is if they go down to division 3, do more players leave or do some that have left come back hoping to win a flag
With rumours of Ivanhoe and Old Paradians possibly coming into the league next year, it will be hard for Lower to bounce straight back up
They twisted a few players arms to go around again who had seemingly retired, i can’t imagine they’d go around again in D3 but you never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back