NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Hows this for divisional structure if it all happened?

Div 1:
Heidelberg
Mont
Bundoora
North
Hurstbridge
Greensborough
WPL
Macleod
Banyule

16 rounds, 2 byes, play every team twice

Div 2:
Eltham
Diamo
Northcote Park
St Marys
South Morang
Panton Hill
Thomastown
Watsonia

18 rounds, play teams third time based on previous years ladder

Div 3:
Epping
Laurimar
Lower Plenty
Kinglake
Old Eltham
Mernda
Heidelberg West

Play every team 3 times - 18 rounds

Div 4:
Wallan
Ivanhoe
Old Paradians
Fitzroy
Kilmore
Lalor
Reservoir

Play every team 3 times - 18 rounds
Like the concept, but where do Whittlesea fit

If Wallan decide to also return or northern saints (formerly fawkner park) we would really have 3 well sized divisions. All would be great inclusions
If Wallan was to come across and join the league it would be a great get for the league. Wallan is (or will be) in the urban growth corridor and it's population will only grow in years to come. This is one of the reasons why Kilmore made the switch.
Looking at Wallan from the outside, they have strong juniors and a reasonably competitive senior base.
It wouldn't be surprising if the temptation of making the switch back to the NFNL hasn't been brought up already. Especially in recent years with clubs leaving the RDFNL (Kilmore, Broadford, Rupertswood, Sunbury Kangaroos).

If Wallan was to come across and join the league it would be a great get for the league. Wallan is (or will be) in the urban growth corridor and it's population will only grow in years to come. This is one of the reasons why Kilmore made the switch.
Looking at Wallan from the outside, they have strong juniors and a reasonably competitive senior base.
It wouldn't be surprising if the temptation of making the switch back to the NFNL hasn't been brought up already. Especially in recent years with clubs leaving the RDFNL (Kilmore, Broadford, Rupertswood, Sunbury Kangaroos).
Initial thoughts on this were 🤔 but not really having the biggest knowledge of Juniors I just had a look at the fixtures and you are spot on! They are absolutely stacked with junior teams and the future should be bright for them!!
I say get them back in the NFNL!

Initial thoughts on this were but not really having the biggest knowledge of Juniors I just had a look at the fixtures and you are spot on! They are absolutely stacked with junior teams and the future should be bright for them!!
I say get them back in the NFNL!
My son plays juniors at Wallan, and all of the senior members I've spoken to say we're not going back to the NFNL. I think they are crazy staying in the RDFL. Even division 3 NFNL is a better standard. The quality they would play is better and the rivalry would be awesome. Kilmore, Kinglake. I watched the Kilmore vs Mernda game today and the standard of footy was great. Credit to both clubs.

SWOOPINGTIME

My son plays juniors at Wallan, and all of the senior members I've spoken to say we're not going back to the NFNL. I think they are crazy staying in the RDFL. Even division 3 NFNL is a better standard. The quality they would play is better and the rivalry would be awesome. Kilmore, Kinglake. I watched the Kilmore vs Mernda game today and the standard of footy was great. Credit to both clubs.

SWOOPINGTIME
Division 3 is not a better standard then the RDFL. Riddell who are sitting 4th in the RDFL would win Division 3 by 15 goals. Yes the bottom 4-5 teams aren't great.

Lakers won a very hard fought game yesterday, If Eltham make the finals the other 3 teams better look out. Kinglake won all their home games and will now will play finals in the first year back in NFL. With Power and West left to play away Lakers will be looking for a top two finish for that double chance. Won't be easy but either will be finals. Good luck to them.

Lakers won a very hard fought game yesterday, If Eltham make the finals the other 3 teams better look out. Kinglake won all their home games and will now will play finals in the first year back in NFL. With Power and West left to play away Lakers will be looking for a top two finish for that double chance. Won't be easy but either will be finals. Good luck to them.
Stude289 fantastic effort by the Lakers to make finals in their first season back in NFNL. Many, including me weren’t sure how they would go coming from what many thought was a very poor AFL Outer East division 2 competition.
Plenty to do for them to get the double chance
As for the Turtles, first they need to make finals, it is hard to win a flag from 4th spot but impossible to win from 5th.
Have said it many time in my weekly tips, the heavily reliance on Williamson and Milne to kick enough goals might be their undoing
Huge clash this week between Laurimar and Kinglake, whoever wins I feel will get the double chance with Mernda
Full credit to Mernda, I didn’t have them in top 4 at beginning of the season but by finishing in the top 2 they give themselves a chance to win a flag and earn promotion to division 2
My pre-season tip though was Laurimar and no need to change, reserves undefeated as well so I think the pressure is on the Power to succeed in 2023

Better look out? They've won 2 games for the year against Mernda, Kinglake, Laurimar and Heidelberg West. The winner is coming out of the top 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expected Lalor to put up more of a fight against reservoir
Reasonably sure it was the umpires fault again. Large number of Bloods players spent most of the day arguing with umpires and then each other after they gave away numerous frees and 50s for dissent and other undisciplined acts. The coaches even yelled out the free kick count at one stage as if to try and support their argument of the continuing conspiracy that the umps are against them and it's a major reason they are getting beaten each week

Better look out? They've won 2 games for the year against Mernda, Kinglake, Laurimar and Heidelberg West. The winner is coming out of the top 3.
Kinglake have managed 2 goals and 4 goals against Old Eltham and Mernda away from home. With Laurimar and West in the next fortnight unless they can prove they can match it on the big ground then i cannot see them performing at Whittlesea.

Kinglake have managed 2 goals and 4 goals against Old Eltham and Mernda away from home. With Laurimar and West in the next fortnight unless they can prove they can match it on the big ground then i cannot see them performing at Whittlesea.
10571z is Whittlesea that much bigger than Kinglake?

How have you rated Kinglake’s season back in the NFNL?

Who do you have as favourites at this stage?

For mine, I had Laurimar winning it at start of the season, I have no reason to change my pick. They could win both reserve and senior flags and be promoted.

With talk of a few additional clubs being added to division 3 in 2024, winning it this year and getting to Division 2 is probably more important for both Laurimar and Mernda who have juniors clubs which will support them moving forward.

If any of Kinglake, Old Eltham or Heidelberg West did win the flag, how many would retire from footy and not want to play division 2 footy?

For mine, I had Laurimar winning it at start of the season, I have no reason to change my pick. They could win both reserve and senior flags and be promoted.

With talk of a few additional clubs being added to division 3 in 2024, winning it this year and getting to Division 2 is probably more important for both Laurimar and Mernda who have juniors clubs which will support them moving forward.

If any of Kinglake, Old Eltham or Heidelberg West did win the flag, how many would retire from footy and not want to play division 2 footy?
Whittlesea’s ground is much bigger than Kinglake.

Kinglake season has been fantastic. Top in the seniors and competitive in the reserves. Great addition to the NFNL.

Mernda is favourites for mine. They’ve been the best team. Laurimar is a good chance as well.

Yes if more quality teams arrive flags will get harder but the competition will be better for it. Juniors doesn’t always spell higher success. Just see North Heidelberg and Hurstbridge in D1 both in the top 5.

I have no idea who would retire if any of those sides won a flag but Mernda would be faced with the same issues if their Jacana/Craigieburn recruits do what they’ve done at their previous clubs and bail. Any side going up would need to recruit.

It’s set to be a great finals series. If Kinglake some how knock of Laurimar then they could pinch it.

Lakers playing finals is no surprise for me as I said at the start the top four from both leagues were pretty even. I too have Laurimaur as favourites but a little less so now. Not sure why anyone winning Div 3 and not wanting to play div 2, top four in Div 3 could mix it with the bottom of Div 2 and would only need a couple of key recruits to play finals, retiring because of age is a different thing as is the jump into Div 1. Stay tuned will know more 5pm Saturday.

Whittlesea’s ground is much bigger than Kinglake.

Kinglake season has been fantastic. Top in the seniors and competitive in the reserves. Great addition to the NFNL.

Mernda is favourites for mine. They’ve been the best team. Laurimar is a good chance as well.

Yes if more quality teams arrive flags will get harder but the competition will be better for it. Juniors doesn’t always spell higher success. Just see North Heidelberg and Hurstbridge in D1 both in the top 5.

I have no idea who would retire if any of those sides won a flag but Mernda would be faced with the same issues if their Jacana/Craigieburn recruits do what they’ve done at their previous clubs and bail. Any side going up would need to recruit.

It’s set to be a great finals series. If Kinglake some how knock of Laurimar then they could pinch it.
10571z it will be a fantastic finals series and whoever does win the flag will be a deserved premier
Agree with Nth Heid and Hurstbridge not having juniors and being in division 1. I have always said Hurstbridge bat way above their average and look like making division 1 finals.

A club like Eltham should be a division 1 club but haven’t been able to get out of division 2

I haven’t seen much divsion 2 footy this year but I think top 4 in division 3 would be competitive with Epping and Lower Plenty, it seems there is then a bit of a jump to that next level of clubs like o Panton Hill, Thomastown, Northcote Park, Sth Morang and Watsonia.

Whoever does win will need to recruit to be competitive, Sth Morang started off very well but with injury and player unavailability they may not even make finals now after looking a near certainty at half way mark if the season

Whitt is approx 35m longer and 10m wider.
I dont see the Lakers being able to beat Mernda or Laurimar on the bigger grounds.

Reasonably sure it was the umpires fault again. Large number of Bloods players spent most of the day arguing with umpires and then each other after they gave away numerous frees and 50s for dissent and other undisciplined acts. The coaches even yelled out the free kick count at one stage as if to try and support their argument of the continuing conspiracy that the umps are against them and it's a major reason they are getting beaten each week
Surely not again?

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back