NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasonably sure it was the umpires fault again. Large number of Bloods players spent most of the day arguing with umpires and then each other after they gave away numerous frees and 50s for dissent and other undisciplined acts. The coaches even yelled out the free kick count at one stage as if to try and support their argument of the continuing conspiracy that the umps are against them and it's a major reason they are getting beaten each week
i find it hard to fathom the state of umpring would be in the top 50 concerns of Lalor atm. The posts from their presidents brother were an embarrassment and will just push the club further and further back.

If Ivanhoe comes in and 1 other club how much longer does it go on

I genuinely think Laurimar is the flag favourite. The experience gained from playing finals last season will hold them in good stead when the whips are cracking.

Kinglake I expect to make the grand final. I don’t think whittlesea is that big of a ground and it isn’t necessarily a “quick track” that may trouble them. Many of there players have played there before and they have played well on big grounds in previous seasons. The grand final experience from last season will serve them well.

Mernda could easily make the GF but I think they are not quite ready for that next step yet.

Last edited:
Better look out? They've won 2 games for the year against Mernda, Kinglake, Laurimar and Heidelberg West. The winner is coming out of the top 3.
Agree on this.

Turtles v top 4
-30 Mernda
-18 west
-5 Laurimar
+40 kinglake (first experience at Eltham college)
-7 Mernda
-1 west
+7 Laurimar (Laurimar had 8 more scoring shots)
-8 Kinglake

I genuinely think Laurimar is the flag favourite. The experience gained from playing finals last season will hold them in good stead when the whips are cracking.

Kinglake I expect to make the grand final. I don’t think whittlesea is that big of a ground and it isn’t necessarily a “quick track” that may trouble them. Many of there players have played there before and they have played well on big grounds in previous seasons. The grand final experience from last season will serve them well.

Mernda could easily make the GF but I think they are not quite ready for that next step yet.
Mernda have plenty of players with experience that have done the job before for Jacana and Cragieburn.

Its also Whittlesea not the MCG with 100k fans 😆

If Kinglake get well beaten Saturday is curtains for them.

If West don’t beat Mernda and Kinglake they’ll drop out for the 4 and unlikely to get it back.

Mernda have plenty of players with experience that have done the job before for Jacana and Cragieburn.

Its also Whittlesea not the MCG with 100k fans 😆

If Kinglake get well beaten Saturday is curtains for them.

If West don’t beat Mernda and Kinglake they’ll drop out for the 4 and unlikely to get it back.
How long ago did they experience finals with Craigieburn and jacana? I know Morrison has a great finals record but
I was more thinking along the lines of the younger guys coming through such as Edwards, Kellett, Smith, Golledge, Turner, Yankos, Evans, Roussos, Crouch, Vincent, Baccega and this types.

Not only have the Kinglake players had finals experience in the Outer East FL but a few have had NFNL finals experience so that won't be a problem if anything last year's GF lost has increased the desire to win one. The bye before finals will help with a weeks rest.

100% agree. I think Laurimar are favourites. But funny things happen in finals.

Mernda v West with both teams needing to win should be a cracker of a game, Mernda should be able to account for West.
Kilmore
Stars
Power v Lakers another must win for both teams I'm going with Lakers by 2 goals to lock in the double chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

id be waiting on the EGM meeting vote. Seen these before where old timers turn up and vote against things.
Will be great if they do, question- are they intending to bring the junior club as well??

Another discussion at our club last night in preparation for next Thursdays vote that looks to have support, but as you have outlined some older Life Members have questions that are being worked through by the committee. Has been an open process, so all given the opportunity to ask questions and give feedback. As for the Juniors, the IJFC is NOT run by the senior club, totally independent. So those decisions sit with the IJFC committee and it's members. My understanding is they are happy in YJFL at this time.

Chump :trophy:

id be waiting on the EGM meeting vote. Seen these before where old timers turn up and vote against things.
Will be great if they do, question- are they intending to bring the junior club as well??
From the announcement it said only players and life members will vote, as a VAFA club they don’t seem to sell memberships otherwise.

So would require a huge number of life members turn out against it to be overturned.

From the announcement it said only players and life members will vote, as a VAFA club they don’t seem to sell memberships otherwise.

So would require a huge number of life members turn out against it to be overturned.

Just for clarity - the club does sell social memberships (i'm one :)) , but they do not come with voting rights. It will be Life Members and Players of our 4 teams voting.

If I was a male VAFA player I'd be all for my club joining NFNL.

If I was a female VAFA player I'd be far more interested in playing VAFA - 3pm Sunday timeslot, grading games and a 14 game season should be reserved for juniors.

Great for the league to have Ivanhoe for geographical reasons, as well as potentially accessing more of their junior talent down the line.

If I was a male VAFA player I'd be all for my club joining NFNL.

If I was a female VAFA player I'd be far more interested in playing VAFA - 3pm Sunday timeslot, grading games and a 14 game season should be reserved for juniors.

Great for the league to have Ivanhoe for geographical reasons, as well as potentially accessing more of their junior talent down the line.

Good points NB. That siad, these are some of the discussions we have been having internally as they are some of the exact questions/feedback people have been giving. On a couple of these ....

- we were told last night that apparently some type of equity rule is being bought in by AFL Vic that will see all competitions made to look as some sort of Saturday football options for womens football in all leagues.

- The VAFA women's program only jumped to 16 games in lower grades this season and 18 in premier, so I think as more teams join fixtures will be extended. Agree re grading games, but again the VAFA do similar as they look to alter competitions about 4-5 rounds in for division women sides (not premier), 19's and thirds completion's so teams getting belted by 20 goals each week can compete in what is considered some lower 'development grades'.

Round 16 tips and some big games for double chance and finals chance

Fitzroy Stars (7th) vs Reservoir (8th) The stars would have been disappointing in division 3 this year however have a chance to record win number 5 tomorrow. They will be without Hood and Proctor this week who have been in good form for the Stars. Reservoir has a terrific win last week and will look to try and win 2 games in a row. They have been much more competitive in 2023 however stars have too much class and depth across the board. Fitzroy Stars by 72 points

Lalor (9th) vs Kilmore (6th) Win number 5 for Kilmore tomorrow. Sadly the Lalor reserves have forfeited and I think there may only be 3 more game left for the proud Lalor footy club. Kilmore by 150 points

Laurimar (3rd) vs Kinglake (1st) March of the day and what a beauty it will be. Laurimar had a great win last week over Heidelberg west and flexed their muscle and need to do it tomorrow to get the double chance. They have made no changes to their squad so go in fit and settled. The Lakers were terrific last week in defeating Okd Eltham and recording an undefeated home record for 2023. Tomorrow though is a massive challenge for them as their away record hasn’t been great and a loss will see them slip to 3rd and an elimination final most likely. A win gives them the double chance so massive for both sides. At home Lauimar by 17 points

Mernda (2nd) vs Heidelberg West (4th) Mernda had a tough away win last week against Kilmore and return home to face Heidelberg West for the Les Butterworth Cup. They have a settled line up with only the one change. For West they need to try and rebound after last week’s disappointing loss, they have Mernda, Kinglake and Lalor in last 3 weeks and most likely will need to win all 3 games to break their drought if playing senior finals. They have been getting players back from injury however not sure they can get over Mernda which will nearly spell the end of their finals chance for 2023.
Mernda by 32 points

Enjoy the footy

NFNL Member guessing they aren’t this week and it’s a joke game.
Sadly it looks like the proud Lalor footy club is dying a slow and painful death.
Can’t see them going around in 2024
The only ones turning up are the believers that it's the umpires and everybody outside the club that is against them and causes them to be in this state. Hard/sad story to believe, 30 years ago they were completing a 3-peat of DVFL div 1 premierships, now on the brink of extinction

The only ones turning up are the believers that it's the umpires and everybody outside the club that is against them and causes them to be in this state. Hard/sad story to believe, 30 years ago they were completing a 3-peat of DVFL div 1 premierships, now on the brink of extinction
You think the umpires are out to get lalor?

You think the umpires are out to get lalor?
I absolutely do not think that. I'm referring to the infamous social media posts and what I saw from the game last week. The attitude of looking to blame someone else for their shortcomings be it umpires, opposition or even their own teammates was very evident at Crispe Park last Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back