NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Broadford coming to div 3 next year confirmed

Only an hour and a quarter ride up from Ivanhoe.

How many cans is that bus ride Champ or Chump if the club decides to hire one?

Seriously, they should be playing in the Riddell or even the Kyabram league. Those are much better fits but AFL Victoria is too gutless to get in and make decisions. Next you'll end up with clubs like Yea are Alexandra applying - where do you stop?

Not sure when it will be announced but the bloke I spoke to is in the know within the league
Said it’s 100% confirmed their presentation to the league was about their players at avenel this year that will come back
They have applied to join the league, that is not the same thing as they have joined the league. First, the league needs to endorse the application, the existing clubs would have vote for them to join at a general meeting and finally AFL Vic would get the final say on whether to endorse the move.

Not sure when it will be announced but the bloke I spoke to is in the know within the league
Said it’s 100% confirmed their presentation to the league was about their players at avenel this year that will come back
LOL. It cannot be 100% confirmed... Clubs haven't voted.

Only an hour and a quarter ride up from Ivanhoe.

How many cans is that bus ride Champ or Chump if the club decides to hire one?

Seriously, they should be playing in the Riddell or even the Kyabram league. Those are much better fits but AFL Victoria is too gutless to get in and make decisions. Next you'll end up with clubs like Yea are Alexandra applying - where do you stop?
Depends if I'm having a good day or not Morty 😀

Seriously though - a couple of things from IMHO:
- only another 10mins on from Kilmore so not a huge deal. ( travel from Ivanhoe to Mornington Peninsular across peak hour traffic before saying Broadford is a bad road trip).

- have fun with it - take a bus with the whole team ONCE a year - great team building and change up.

- when we played Kilmore at Ivanhoe they were well supported and ALL came in for the aftermatch, so distance not an issue for clubs who do it often.

- would mean no byes in Div 3 with uneven teams.

- Ivanhoe is the furthest South in the NFNL right now - so hopefully they can pay us petrol money 💰 (joking).

I'd think Broadford is about as far mth as you would want to go. Might pick up Wallan at some stage also. Some great 'local' rivalries could develop.

All that said, as posters have mentioned - needs NFNL clubs and AFL tick of approval. Good luck to them trying to get going again 👍

Depends if I'm having a good day or not Morty 😀

Seriously though - a couple of things from IMHO:
- only another 10mins on from Kilmore so not a huge deal. ( travel from Ivanhoe to Mornington Peninsular across peak hour traffic before saying Broadford is a bad road trip).

- have fun with it - take a bus with the whole team ONCE a year - great team building and change up.

- when we played Kilmore at Ivanhoe they were well supported and ALL came in for the aftermatch, so distance not an issue for clubs who do it often.

- would mean no byes in Div 3 with uneven teams.

- Ivanhoe is the furthest South in the NFNL right now - so hopefully they can pay us petrol money 💰 (joking).

I'd think Broadford is about as far mth as you would want to go. Might pick up Wallan at some stage also. Some great 'local' rivalries could develop.

All that said, as posters have mentioned - needs NFNL clubs and AFL tick of approval. Good luck to them trying to get going again 👍
First off they don’t have a football team. So they would enter with the hope they’d find the players and potentially compete.

Do we want to be the next experiment in their long list of failures?

There are hundreds of clubs closer. How this would be entertained by the league is beyond moronic. It’s a metro comp.

I’ll give this a zero percent chance. Who would vote them in.

What is in it for NFNL clubs?

They don’t have a side? They are ages away and have been a rabble for a long time
Can’t see it happening. Only way the NFNL would want them in is more money or if they can get another 3-4 clubs to join, make a 4th Division.

Can’t see it happening. Only way the NFNL would want them in is more money or if they can get another 3-4 clubs to join, make a 4th Division.

NFNL were desperate for that 10-10-10 split too. It would be pretty crazy if they went from almost having that to having to think about a fourth division in a matter of around half a decade. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out down the track

First off they don’t have a football team. So they would enter with the hope they’d find the players and potentially compete.

Do we want to be the next experiment in their long list of failures?

There are hundreds of clubs closer. How this would be entertained by the league is beyond moronic. It’s a metro comp.

Ok apart from the fact that I was just throwing around some other thoughts ....

How many people had Lalor and Rezza merged or done for at the start of the year after consecutive seasons of belting belted by everyone else?

We were in 4th ammo's last year and got belted most weeks. OP's the same in 5th Div Ammo's. Sometimes things can change at clubs that start things new and you can build from there.

68,000 homes need to be built in the Mitchell shire over the next 20 years - think South Morang and Mernda on steroids!! Now a lot will be in Wallan, Beverage and Kilmore .... but Broardford is designated for significant population increase

Yes other clubs are closer - but they don't want to join the NFNL.

The VAFA is a metro comp and spreads ALL over MELB metro.

Again, I'm not saying it will or should happen ..... but ALWAYS open to a discussion around potential growth opportunities before writing them off because of history and a few extra kms!

How many people had Lalor and Rezza merged or done for at the start of the year after consecutive seasons of belting belted by everyone else?

We were in 4th ammo's last year and got belted most weeks. OP's the same in 5th Div Ammo's. Sometimes things can change at clubs that start things new and you can build from there.

68,000 homes need to be built in the Mitchell shire over the next 20 years - think South Morang and Mernda on steroids!! Now a lot will be in Wallan, Beverage and Kilmore .... but Broardford is designated for significant population increase

Again, I'm not saying it will or should happen ..... but ALWAYS open to a discussion around potential growth opportunities before writing them off because of history and a few extra kms!
And how many clubs cited that as part of the reason they left?

Zero benefit to the NFNL. I’d be shocked if a single club voted in favour.

find this one about broadford hard to believe as it will be a hard sell to win club votes. agree with someone earlier the rdfl is the best fit if the heathcote comp wasnt. a doutta parents young bloke spent a time during pre season out there a few years ago and sensed their more focused on netbal and keeping that arm of the club happy which is why he felt the vote to leave the rdfl got thruogh. how did they even foound themselves in that yarra vallet league onyl to tap out i cant understand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negatives of broadford joining:

We are only just starting to see a competitive Lalor and reservoir to come extent. A 12 team division 3 will make a fixture even more skewed. It’s already a bit of a problem with the fixturing the last couple of years.

Secondly clubs would enjoy a nice salary cap drop if it went to 18 rounds again, especially those who are hitting the cap on 16 rounds. A 16 round season going to an 18 round season might have some players enjoy a few nice cuts.

Can’t see club president ticking it off. The fixture this year was position based for the following year, turtles didn’t play Lalor or reservoir twice and it may cost them finals while a couple other teams played both twice. Adding a 3rd club to that bottom team list could hurt those in the top end of the ladder and give an advantage to others

Negatives of broadford joining:

We are only just starting to see a competitive Lalor and reservoir to come extent. A 12 team division 3 will make a fixture even more skewed. It’s already a bit of a problem with the fixturing the last couple of years.

Secondly clubs would enjoy a nice salary cap drop if it went to 18 rounds again, especially those who are hitting the cap on 16 rounds. A 16 round season going to an 18 round season might have some players enjoy a few nice cuts.

Can’t see club president ticking it off. The fixture this year was position based for the following year, turtles didn’t play Lalor or reservoir twice and it may cost them finals while a couple other teams played both twice. Adding a 3rd club to that bottom team list could hurt those in the top end of the ladder and give an advantage to others
Agree Berty the skewed draw would be a significant factor in Div clubs voting for it - that makes sense. No one likes a compromised fixture IF you can help it.

As for salary cap - maybe that is something the NFNL would adjust to support it happening? Add another two rounds worth at a pro rata rate? Just spitballing and have t had my coffee yet 😊

Wasn't a primary reason for Ivanhoe leaving the VAFA the travel? Going to Kilmore once a year players can swallow, heading out that way or further 3-4 times a year isn't what they signed up for.

Wasn't a primary reason for Ivanhoe leaving the VAFA the travel? Going to Kilmore once a year players can swallow, heading out that way or further 3-4 times a year isn't what they signed up for.
Yes travel was one of the reasons - correct. But even IF you played Broardy, Kinglake and Kilmore away in the same year it would only be three games. It's 57 minutes from Ivanhoe and we are the most southern club in the NFNL.

All that said, on a personal note, it's been bliss playing games in the North all year - bigger crowds, more past players coming to watch, great for many of our sponsors, increased revenue, better player numbers for mens and women's teams and competitive in most games. So it's working for us at this point in time.

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back